Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #3  
It is a half Fiat half GM diesel.

I wonder what kind of emissions garbage it will have on it?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #4  
The last VM engine that went into the Liberty floated like a lead balloon. if they had put the MB 6 cylinder that is in the Sprinter van in there it would be a winner for sure. I'm not sure I have heard of a single good Italian diesel yet. An Iveco would have been a better choice than the VM.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #5  
Interesting, thanks for posting.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #6  
GM had a diesel 1/2 ton and full size blazer 25-30 years ago, but it wasn't much good.
I think it'll sell we'll and best of all might force gm to drop the duramax in the suburban, Tahoe and 1/2 ton or the smaller duramax variant.
Chrysler and gm always were the innovators. Ford is the copier and improver of all the Chrysler and gm innovations.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #9  
94BULLITT said:
You have that backwards, they copy Ford.
Let's see...
1994 Dodge Ram
1994-2001 Dodge Ram.jpg
1999 Ford Super Duty
53571000.jpg
Yup, Dodge definitely went back in time and copied Ford here. :laughing:
RAM leads - Sheep follow.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #10  
The Fiat motor of course is dictated by the new owner. By comparison, the Cummins engine is developed and certified by Cummins. So for Dodge, they will basically be putting 2010 style emissions on the VM engine which has never had any of it, except perhaps an "optional" dpf. That is going to be a fun project. Last time they wanted to do that, it didn't pan out and they canceled the engine.

Dodge has not had to figure this out by themselves in the past, since Cummins was always the "big brother" given that Cummins had sole responsibility for emissions compliance on all the bigger trucks that their 6 cylinder engine (and larger) went into. On the other hand, Ford had to recently develop their own engine and deal with the full spectrum of emission control, and it is pretty obvious to anyone who owns a 2007-2009 superduty how much better a job they did on the 2010 model than Navistar (although it has to be pretty hard to do a more sloppy job than what you get from a company that operates out of Chicago)