Help Needed with trailer options

/ Help Needed with trailer options #1  

Owenslee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040HD 4WD, Ford 8N , White 105, Case 1200 4WD, (1) TO-20 (3) TO-30 Fergusons
Looking to custom order a new 20ft extra wide straight flatbed 10K trailer and trying to decide between the following options:

$165 optional Diamond plate teardrop fenders vs standard sheet metal open side fenders?
I am leaning toward the potential added durability of the reinforced Diamond Plate fenders... any downside?

$85 per side optional removable fenders? One or both...? Pro and con...?
Removable fenders are a question as the tractor will fit within the 82" gap...but in the future there may be a need for a wider piece of equipment. But is the added cost justified?

$70 Optional Kubota orange acrylic enamel paint with hardener vs standard black acrylic enamel?
The hardened enamel should be more durable... but the orange is likely more prone to fade.

Trailer will be used primarily to transport a Kubota M5040HD with grapple bucket and 84" Brush hog and will also be used to load pallets and shop equipment with a hand jack from off of a concrete apron the same height as the trailer bed....which is why a dovetail will not be ordered.

Some other options selected:

Winch mount $75
Stake pockets with rub rails $55
7000lb Setback jack $50
Spare wheel mount $25
New spare wheel and new 8 ply radial tire $115
Bolt on retention angle for later replacement of wood floor $15
16" center to center channel cross members $80

Any worthwhile recommended options I have missed?

Thanks for your input.

Kerry

/ Help Needed with trailer options #2  
I would get the HD Fenders and the remove option on the drivers side. The spare and a mount are a no brainer.

The set back jack is a must if you plan on lowering your tailgate or lifting a hatch on a SUV. Plenty of tie downs and a winch mount is also a must have.

Chris

/ Help Needed with trailer options
I would get the HD Fenders and the remove option on the drivers side. The spare and a mount are a no brainer.

The set back jack is a must if you plan on lowering your tailgate or lifting a hatch on a SUV. Plenty of tie downs and a winch mount is also a must have.

Chris

Chris,

Yes the setback jack, spare and mount are on the list.

Am I correct that the rub rail welded to the stake pockets effectively provide plenty of tie down points?
Should any added tie down rings be considered?

We have the luxury of being within short driving distance of Sikeston and have sent quote requests to all the major builders.
So Far...Retco has been the most helpful, responsive and cost effective. I can't get Judy at Jerry James to respond with a quote.

Kerry

/ Help Needed with trailer options #4  
Rub rails and stake pockets are fine . Down through stake pocket , up and hook to rub rail . Go with the orange paint , it won't fade any worse than black . If there are any options on the wiring spend all your money there , no scotch locks no crimp connectors . I like a seamless harness built for the trailer . Yes there are joints but they are soldered and shrink tubed , looks like an extension cord if done right .

/ Help Needed with trailer options #5  
Chris,

Yes the setback jack, spare and mount are on the list.

Am I correct that the rub rail welded to the stake pockets effectively provide plenty of tie down points?
Should any added tie down rings be considered?

We have the luxury of being within short driving distance of Sikeston and have sent quote requests to all the major builders.
So Far...Retco has been the most helpful, responsive and cost effective. I can't get Judy at Jerry James to respond with a quote.

Kerry

Yes, the rub rail does just that but for heavier item where chain is used go only to the stake pockets.

Chris

/ Help Needed with trailer options #6  
I would also add a couple of D-rings inboard of the fenders. There have been multiple times hauling lumber or other misc. items that I needed to tie things down and there is nothing for the 4ft to 5ft between the fenders. I had them added to my new trailer when I ordered it a couple of years ago.

I would also add a couple of D-rings inboard of the fenders. There have been multiple times hauling lumber or other misc. items that I needed to tie things down and there is nothing for the 4ft to 5ft between the fenders. I had them added to my new trailer when I ordered it a couple of years ago.

Good idea...

/ Help Needed with trailer options #8  
16" centers plus what DP said

/ Help Needed with trailer options #9  
How close to the 10K limit do you figure you'll be with the added options and all your equipment and odds and ends loaded?

How close to the 10K limit do you figure you'll be with the added options and all your equipment and odds and ends loaded?

The two hauling situations would be tractor with FEL and grapple bucket or...tractor with bush hog attached and FEL removed.
The first combination totals 7095 lbs
The second combination totals 6123 lbs

That leaves 3,305 lbs for total trailer weight in worst case situation. The manufacturer has not yet provided an estimate of what the trailer will weigh but my best guesstimate is 2800 lbs.
Some options such as the diamond plate fenders and 16" center to center channel reinforcements may end up being dropped based on the weight they add.

Regardless, you make a good point to be watchful of....

Thanks