Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Default Re: Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS".

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    I remember seeing them test it on Topgear.

We would be driving our 4 cyl rangers flat out at ~100mph at night, completely overdriving the headlights, and these sauds would start flicking their high beams at us when they were a mile behind us. They would be on top of you in a matter of seconds and if you valued your life, you would get the heck over into the 'slow' lane. lol.
    Tim.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Topkicker View Post
    It basically IS a reskined G8 GT with a bowtie on it. It was easy to start production of the SS in Austraila because the last production vehicle built there was the Pontiac G8. Not much retooling had to be done there due to the platform being the same. I really liked the G8 GT. I'm glad it is getting a GM replacement. The GTO was built at the same facility. I was not a fan of it. It had a nice powertrain but lacked heavily in the "look department" IMO. I've worked for GM for 14 years and four different North American locations. The new 14 lineup changes is the best I've seen so far. We will start cranking out the new 14 full-size Chevy and GMC trucks for customers this summer.
    I agree on the GTO...I hated the look, but a girl at work had one and that thing screamed....Wish they would have put some design thought behind that, it could have been incredible.
    BX23TLB with 54" MMM
    RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow
    Z724 ZTR
    Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

Tractor
    none

Quote Originally Posted by timswi View Post
    I agree on the GTO...I hated the look, but a girl at work had one and that thing screamed....Wish they would have put some design thought behind that, it could have been incredible.
    Yeah... When introduced, my first thought was a 2 door Grand Prix. Nothing even close to living up to the 3 letters "GTO". If this car had stood out more, it would have been a home run. They had great performance numbers. Just too plain in appearance. Looks sales.
    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. You might meet em both if you show up here not welcome, son."- Josh Thompson.

Tractor
    JD 6400

I think GM made a bad mistake for letting Pontiac sink as low as it got. Pontiac had an excellent performance image for many years, seems like in the '80's and '90's every car they had was covered with plastic cladding. Their lowest point in looks was the Aztec, although I've read where it was really a decent car. My family had Pontiacs for many years and I was very sorry to see what they became. Wish GM would bring the brand back and let them be the performance division again.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, Kubota RTV-X1100C

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

The GTO was a Holden Monaro. The G8 was a Holden Commodore. The Monoro is coupe verision of the Commodore.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Topkicker View Post
    Yeah... When introduced, my first thought was a 2 door Grand Prix. Nothing even close to living up to the 3 letters "GTO". If this car had stood out more, it would have been a home run. They had great performance numbers. Just too plain in appearance. Looks sales.
    Yup, my favorite GTO is the '65.....One of these days I'm going to find one....My parents had a fire engine red one with a 421 tri-power, 4:33 rear and a Muncie 4sp (Bobcat optioned)....My dad kept the Hurst shifter that my mom broke off drag racing it...Even at 69 years old, my mom can slam some gears...Now she does it in a '66 El Camino--396/4:10/Muncie...From what she's told me, she almost divorced him when he sold the GTO without warning
    BX23TLB with 54" MMM
    RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow
    Z724 ZTR
    Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

Tractor
    JD 6400

My parents had a '65 Catalina with the high performance 389 that ran on premium gas. I remember riding with Dad down a straight stretch of road and seeing the speedo pegged at 120.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, Kubota RTV-X1100C

Tractor
    NH, CIH, Kubota

Quote Originally Posted by timswi View Post
    Yup, my favorite GTO is the '65.....One of these days I'm going to find one....My parents had a fire engine red one with a 421 tri-power, 4:33 rear and a Muncie 4sp (Bobcat optioned)....My dad kept the Hurst shifter that my mom broke off drag racing it...Even at 69 years old, my mom can slam some gears...Now she does it in a '66 El Camino--396/4:10/Muncie...From what she's told me, she almost divorced him when he sold the GTO without warning
    That's a great story.
    M series Kubota MFWD tractors. New Holland discbines. New holland square & round hay balers. GM, Ford, IH, trucks.
    Hay Farmer & shipper. We grow & ship about 1,000 tons/yr.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by JESSE1 View Post
    I think GM made a bad mistake for letting Pontiac sink as low as it got. Pontiac had an excellent performance image for many years
    I agree!
    The Pontiac name should have stayed as the Performance line, this could have been the "All-New GTO". Another mis-use of the SS badge like that gawd-awful "truck" the SSR.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by TCJatko View Post
    This is good news. I've always thought NASCAR should go back to its roots, so to speak, and run modified versions of factory-available iron. The present cars have no resemblance to what comes out the factory door other than the name decals. I realize the engines are brand-specific, but that's about it.
    I'm with ya on that one. Before it was the brand wars that were interesting now it's the Hollywooding of drivers that takes precedent. Dodge is out of racing. Give me the old days where a company had to produce a minimum 50 cars for the street of what they were bringing to the track. Drag racing was the same. Not many people knew that from the factory you could get a 429 in a 69 Falcon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast