Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    john deere 1070

Default Re: PACCAR

i've driven a number of volvos that had meritor axles and meritor 10 speed transmissions. i didn't like the transmissions very much for a completely idiotic reason: i hate the gearshift knob. the center section had a meritor logo in a plastic cover. after a number of years, the cover would either crack and irritate the palm of your hand or the cover would fall out and be even more uncomfortable to hold. i much prefer the eaton shift knob.

the longevity of both axles and transmissions were as good as eaton; i have no idea of the cost differential.

and that's the first i've heard that cat is making their own class 8 truck.

i wonder what cummins is going to do? i have a lot of miles sitting behind cummins engines.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, Case 450

Cummins has just teamed up with Navistar again, now that International has abandoned their enhanced EGR exhaust treatment (after major loss of market share and realizing they couldn't meet EPA targets before using up all their credits). ProStars are just now being built with ISX engines with SCR (urea after treatment), with other models of trucks and engines to follow later this year. International had been using MAN - based diesels for their 13 litre engines and were working with CAT on an enhanced EGR version of their venerable 15 litre engine, before they gave up on that whole idea. Of course, International continues to build all their smaller engines. BTW, the CAT truck is based on a highly modified International Paystar. There's been speculation in the trucking magazines about Navistar being a takeover target for Scania and Volkswagen!
    Back to Paccar, I believe the small engines used in their medium duty trucks are really re-badged Cummins.
    Kubota B7800, LA402 FEL, Homemade cab, 60" bushcutter, 74" rear snowblower.
    Kubota RTV500.
    Case 450 c/w 6-way dozer.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Back to Paccar, I believe the small engines used in their medium duty trucks are really re-badged Cummins.

Cummins head design (well more accurately I suppose their valve covers because that's what you see) are pretty distinctive so the Paccar
    I saw looked pretty similar. I'm more used to seeing the Cummins in boat engine rooms, they are extremely popular in boating, have a great reputation,
    and battle neck and neck with Volvo and Caterpillar all the way. And usually Cummins wins, unless someone wants the Volvo's integrated propulsion system, a lower tech pod drive.
    It's been my experience that Cat owners are very loyal; if they had one boat with a Cat, they wanted their next one with it too.

So I guess we'll see more of Paccar.

I've been drooling over motorhomes, not my time yet, but seems the diesel pushers are all either Cummins or Cat. In the 300-400 hp range, not sure
    either engine has an advantage, both seem very premium.
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Deere 345

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot62 View Post
    I'm aware of Meritor, but don't actually know of anybody that has one. But, my KW has a Meritor air dryer on it, if that makes you feel better.

IIRC, the only way to get a CAT engine in a new Class 8 truck is to buy the CAT truck. CAT CT660
    And just to make things more confusing, the CAT truck is actually designed and built by International ...

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

Quote Originally Posted by sklunk View Post
    And just to make things more confusing, the CAT truck is actually designed and built by International ...
    Where did you hear that or see that?

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post

Where did you hear that or see that?
    It's true.

http://hooniverse.com/2012/06/14/tru...es-of-another/
    The Caterpillar CT660 is actually built by Navistar, who builds International Trucks. It’s a new set of clothes on an International, to appeal to a whole different audience.

Veteran Member

Not sure but I was thinking that the Paccar engines came from DAF or a DAF subsiderery?

Tractor
    john deere 1070

This would seem to confirm that paccar engines are technologically linked with daf engines.

Tractor
    A couple

Quote Originally Posted by Wnc3 View Post
    I think, not sure, the Paccar engine is very close to a cummins.
    Quote Originally Posted by herringchoker View Post
    I always thought the PACCAR 6.7-liter was a rebadged Cummins since they looked almost identical in pictures I've seen.

In this global economy, it's tough to know who is in bed with who so to speak.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Quote Originally Posted by dhagood View Post
    This would seem to confirm that paccar engines are technologically linked with daf engines.
    sure does, since 2006 they seem to have put their stamp on the PACCAR engine.
    interesting history, very entwined in recent years with Leyland

DAF Trucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast