PACCAR

/ PACCAR #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
It seems the Dutch own Kenworth and Peterbilt, which I guess is ok, the Dutch
sure do have a touch for quality, that's where Feadships and most historic high end megayachts have been made.
The Dutch motorboats/yachts I have been on were pretty remarkable, the quality was so evident, the construction so strong.
And DAF I believe designed one of the first CVT transmissions.

But what are Paccar engines? What is their lineage?
Are they rebranded somethings or a unique engine to themselves?
Does anyone other than Kenworth and Peterbilt offer them in their trucks? Heavy machinery?
Just curious and I'm sure one of you know.
thanks

/ PACCAR #2  
A lot of the Kenworth trucks are built here in Chillicothe including their newest model, though I can't think of the model name right this second. Traditionally you could get about any engine you wanted in one, but Paccar never built their own engine. That changed a year or so ago. Paccar designed and built their own engine. Everything I've heard has been good about it. Decent fuel mileage and no major problems so far. And with this being a small town, if Kenworth is having issues, everyone knows it.

/ PACCAR #3  
It seems the Dutch own Kenworth and Peterbilt

umm, it's the other way around. paccar is an american corporation that owns the kenworth and peterbilt truck lines in the united states, daf trucks in the netherlands, and leyland trucks in the united kingdom.

But what are Paccar engines? What is their lineage?

the class 8 truck market used to be based on the concept that one could order pretty much any major component from any of the major truck manufacturers, ie one could order cummins engines and dana axles in kenworths, peterbilts, internationals, etc. these days, life has become much more segmented, with just about every major manufacturer building their own engines, transmissions, and such. basically, all the manufacturers have become like mack.

the paccar engine is new on the american market and i believe is only available on paccar products. paccar's daf subsidiary has been building diesels for many years so i would presume that the technical foundation of the american diesel is based upon the daf engine.

/ PACCAR
umm, it's the other way around. paccar is an american corporation that owns the kenworth and peterbilt truck lines in the united states, daf trucks in the netherlands, and leyland trucks in the united kingdom.

Thanks. It wasn't clear from their website.

/ PACCAR #5  
. . . the class 8 truck market used to be based on the concept that one could order pretty much any major component from any of the major truck manufacturers, ie one could order cummins engines and dana axles in kenworths, peterbilts, internationals, etc. these days, life has become much more segmented, with just about every major manufacturer building their own engines, transmissions, and such. basically, all the manufacturers have become like mack. . .

Not quite.
As far as I know, most transmissions in American Class 8 trucks are RoadRangers (Eaton). Every now and then, you'll come across a Spicer (Dana). Same with drive axles, usually Eaton or Dana. That's about it, except for the Macks.

/ PACCAR #6  
I think, not sure, the Paccar engine is very close to a cummins.

/ PACCAR
I think, not sure, the Paccar engine is very close to a cummins.

When I saw the cylinder heads, that's what I thought of too, but then some Ivecos and other diesels do also.
Probably some common dna, though everything now has to be high tech, common rail, etc.
There isn't a motor I don't find interesting, and this engine is just one I wasn't familiar with. Is Mack still making a unique engine?

/ PACCAR #8  
bigfoot62, meritor also makes class 8 axles. meritor also makes transmissions, although the last i heard was that they have stopped selling manual class 8 transmissions in order to concentrate on class 8 automatic transmissions.

wnc3, just about all the class 8 truck engines resemble each other. they are just about all 6 cylinder turbocharged engines of various sizes from 11 or so liters up through 16 liter displacement. paccar building their own engines directly cuts into cummins market share. cummins is now pretty much odd man out at this point. paccar (kenworth and peterbilt), mack, volvo, freightliner (detroit and mercedes-benz) all make their own engines for their trucks. as far as cat goes, the last i heard they were getting out of the class 8 engine market. i don't know if that ever actually happened.

/ PACCAR #10  
bigfoot62, meritor also makes class 8 axles. meritor also makes transmissions, . . .

. . . as far as cat goes, the last i heard they were getting out of the class 8 engine market. i don't know if that ever actually happened.
I'm aware of Meritor, but don't actually know of anybody that has one. :confused3: But, my KW has a Meritor air dryer on it, if that makes you feel better. :D

IIRC, the only way to get a CAT engine in a new Class 8 truck is to buy the CAT truck. CAT CT660