GM 6 speed auto- Clunky?

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #11  
My 2003 2500HD auto 6 liter has never clunked 2wd, towing or not. I'll get that when I go into 4wd and out sometimes at a stop.. Must be something new.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #12  
i have a 2011 3500hd mine doesnt clunk at all a bad u joint on the rear driveshaft maybe it doesnt happen when going in to 4wd i hear a clicking that it i have a floor mounted shifter

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky?
case245 said:
i have a 2011 3500hd mine doesnt clunk at all a bad u joint on the rear driveshaft maybe it doesnt happen when going in to 4wd i hear a clicking that it i have a floor mounted shifter

You have the allison correct? Mine is a 1/2 ton.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #14  
I would check your U Joints and Carrier Bearings if equipped. I have done quite a few in GM trucks as of late. Don't bother letting the dealership fix it under warranty. They just put in the same crap part and you will be doing it again in 25,000 miles. I know of a truck that is on its 4th in 80,000 miles. This last one I did with a aftermarket Moog.

One other though is the transfer case. They have a pump rub issue. Could the noise be coming from it?

Chris

Last edited:
   / GM 6 speed auto- Clunky?
Diamondpilot said:
I would check your U Joints and Carrier Bearings if equipped. I have done quite a few in GM trucks as of late. Don't bother letting the dealership fix it under warranty. They just put in the same crap part and you will be doing it again in 25,000 miles. I know of a truck that is on its 4th in 80,000 miles. This last one I did with a aftermarket Moog.

One other though is the transfer case. They have a pump rub issue. Could the noise be coming from it?

Chris

Not real sure. It is not a ujoint, had those checked by local mechanic. It is coming from the trans, not all the time, almost like I catch it between gears. Done it since new with 7 miles on it.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #16  
Pump rub issue only on older than 2007.5.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #17  

Chris
I beleive the pump rub is a 2007 and earlier issue.