GM 6 speed auto- Clunky?

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I have a 2011 Silverado 4wd with the 5.3 and 6 spd auto trans. I like the truck, not real sure of the trans. It makes a clunking sound downshifting, done it since new. Dealer checked, all normal. Also, if I hit the brakes, sometimes it will "push" me slightly when downshifting into 1st. Anyone else experience these issues with this tranny?

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #2  
I'm not sure of they share the same transmissions but my 2500HD has the same issues (6 speed auto). Clunks going from 3rd to 2nd when you slow down enough downshift but have to lightly accelerate a moment later.

Dealer told me the same thing. When I was trying these trucks out, two of them did it. My old 4 speed did it too. It's irritating, but normal. Or at least common.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #3  
The 6-speed in my '07 2500HD will clunk at low speed/throttle up-shifts from 1-2, or 2-3 now and again. Dealer said nothing is out of the ordinary when I took it in under warranty.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky?
Good to hear its not isolated to me. It is rather annoying.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #5  
Does it do this in Tow/Haul too?

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #6  
I have a 6sp in a 2011 GMC 6.2...I don't fund it clunky at all...Sometimes if you catch it between gears on a downhift it can be a little harsh, but that's normal.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #7  
The engine braking part can seem clunky I guess but mine is an 08 and has been the same since new. Always works fine. GM did have an issue with the trans tailpiece/drive yolk that needs a special grease on the splines or it will clunk if it cannot slide easily.

timswi said:
I have a 6sp in a 2011 GMC 6.2...I don't fund it clunky at all...Sometimes if you catch it between gears on a downhift it can be a little harsh, but that's normal.

Yea, that downshift gets me sometimes. Feels like a slight lunge forward, even when brakes are applied. This is my first 6 spd. All other trucks were torque shift fords, 4 spd gm/ford or manual.

/ GM 6 speed auto- Clunky? #10  
Mine has not done it in tow haul either. Won't do it during manual up shifts either.