Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by EdK View Post

After some further study of DOT's GCWR definition I stand corrected. However it would appear that the OP is going to come in at around 21,000(payload)+7,320(trailer)+6,000(approx F-350)=34,320. That's still 14,320 over GCWR.
    Good luck on the truck only weighing that. My 06 F350 weighs 7600# Its 4x4 srw diesel and my 08 Nissan Titan 4x4 is 5680#

Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Case 580E Super

Default Re: legal tow?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Good luck on the truck only weighing that. My 06 F350 weighs 7600# Its 4x4 srw diesel and my 08 Nissan Titan 4x4 is 5680#
    OK well I said "approx" so I could demonstrate we would be 7 tons over GCWR... let's use your figure and that puts the the OP 8 tons over GCWR

Silver Member

I don't keep the trucks GVWR or GCWR as the go to numbers. I do use my registered GVWR on my registration as a guide. I also use the Rear axle weight rating as a go to number. For the trailer I use the registered GVWR and axle ratings. I don have a CDL, so I max out at 26k. Now, while a gooseneck pulls nice, pulling 21k lbs with a single rear wheel truck is just insane. Get a friggin dually for a load that heavy. You can screw around with the tongue weight all you want, but anyone with towing experience knows that a slightly heavier tongue as opposed to light tongue will always tow better. It would be wise to have a safety factor in your truck's axle ratings. A 21k trailer with a 15% tongue load is 3150 lbs. 20% is 4200. 24k trailer with 15% is 3600 and 20% is 4800. I highly doubt your truck has a 2 ton available payload. You will be running maxed. Way safer in a dually and that extra cushion. I would not get any lower than 18% tongue weight on a gooseneck personally.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I don't keep the trucks GVWR or GCWR as the go to numbers. I do use my registered GVWR on my registration as a guide. I also use the Rear axle weight rating as a go to number. For the trailer I use the registered GVWR and axle ratings. I don have a CDL, so I max out at 26k. Now, while a gooseneck pulls nice, pulling 21k lbs with a single rear wheel truck is just insane. Get a friggin dually for a load that heavy. You can screw around with the tongue weight all you want, but anyone with towing experience knows that a slightly heavier tongue as opposed to light tongue will always tow better. It would be wise to have a safety factor in your truck's axle ratings. A 21k trailer with a 15% tongue load is 3150 lbs. 20% is 4200. 24k trailer with 15% is 3600 and 20% is 4800. I highly doubt your truck has a 2 ton available payload. You will be running maxed. Way safer in a dually and that extra cushion. I would not get any lower than 18% tongue weight on a gooseneck personally.
    Actually a properly speced F350 SRW such as mine has a 11,500# GVWR and per the scales my truck is 7,600# with two people in it and a full fuel tank. That leaves 3,900#

Mine has no problems towing a 25,000# GVWR trailer.

Chris

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1720

Funny how my 03 F350 Dually is rated @ 11,500# GVWR while the newer SRW F350's are rated the same...

In NC, 26K combined is the threshold for CDL's...

Most of the time LEO's check how much weight you have paid for on the tag...
    If you are pulling a 14K trailer and the truck has a 11,500# GVWR, technically you should have a tag paid weight of 25,500#...

Legally, if you do not go over your axle ratings you are legal as long as you have enough paid tag weight and the appropriate license...
    For example, A Dana 60 up front and a Dana 80 on the rear gives my F350 5250# axles in the front and 11,000# axles in the rear...
    That is 16,250# worth of axles on a truck rated at only 11,500#...
    That is why you see F350's commonly pulling and towing weights greater than their listed CVWR and CGVWR...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post

Actually a properly speced F350 SRW such as mine has a 11,500# GVWR and per the scales my truck is 7,600# with two people in it and a full fuel tank. That leaves 3,900#

Mine has no problems towing a 25,000# GVWR trailer.

Chris
    Right. Well, the op has an 2001 with a 9900 GVWR. His axle is not rated as high as your truck that has 18-20" tires. I still think running your truck with the axle and tires maxed out is a risk not worth taking.
    Last edited by Morning Wood; 03-03-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Regardless if it's legal or not, pulling almost 30K is not a job for a 1-ton pickup of any sorts. That is medium-duty truck territory. I find it astonishing and disturbing what people pull with light-duty trucks these days. They simply don't have the size and weight to control a trailer like that if something goes wrong.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Tractor
    Kubota l3800

Quote Originally Posted by Verticaltrx View Post
    Regardless if it's legal or not, pulling almost 30K is not a job for a 1-ton pickup of any sorts. That is medium-duty truck territory. I find it astonishing and disturbing what people pull with light-duty trucks these days. They simply don't have the size and weight to control a trailer like that if something goes wrong.
    Done every day by hotshotters across the country in one size up truck.

Its not something i plan on doing more then once. Need to move a dozer to my property.

Arent the new dodges claiming 30k with a srw 1 ton now?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

This topic is state specific. In California, if you are not over on any axle or tire rating, you are good to go as far as weight as long as you are not over 80k on a big rig or doing something obviously dangerous with a pickup. The OEM GCWR seems to not be a concern in our state, nor is it listed on the door tag. Of course you need to have the proper DMV tags if you are bigger than what is defined as a pickup . Anything over 11,400 GVWR in California is not a pickup by definition, regardless of a "PK" on the title and a factory bed, etc. And in California, if your trailer has a rated GVWR of 10,000 lbs or more, you need a CDL, even if you haul it around empty with a half ton truck.

These things I have just stated will clearly be in conflict with other states, and that is my purpose for listing them. I have found the best resource for this sort of stuff is our local commercial highway patrol guys and gals at the truck scales. They live and breath this stuff and seem appreciative when people ask before getting pulled over.

I can haul nearly 30k lbs legally with my pickup and tandem dually gooseneck if I have it balanced out to maximize every axle and tire. Having said that, I much prefer the medium duty. Just look at the frame, the springs, the brakes, the unladen weight. Just because we are legal hauling huge weight with our pickups does not mean it is prudent.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Quote Originally Posted by deerfarmer4life View Post
    Done every day by hotshotters across the country in one size up truck.
    Indeed it is, and they are the reason the DOT is cracking down on everyone.

If it is just a one time deal I'd hire it done and not worry about it. I'm sure there are plenty of contractors around who would haul it with their dump truck and pintle hitch trailer for a little cash.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast