legal tow?

/ legal tow? #1  

deerfarmer4life

Tractor
Kubota l3800
I own a 2001 f350 diesel. I am unsure of the max goose neck weight i can pull.

Ive got a 32 pj trailer with tandum duals tagged for 21k but has 12,000 lbs axles.

If i put 21k on the trailer am i legal?

I have a cdl.

/ legal tow? #2  
I don't know what your truck is rated for re: max goose neck trailer weight. But if your combined truck and trailer weight is over 26,000 you would need a CDL A. I suspect your truck weighs at least 6500-7000 plus the 21,000 on the trailer plus the trailer weight itself puts you well above 26K.

/ legal tow? #3  
As long as you pay for enough license and have a CDL, you are legal.

/ legal tow? #4  
deerfarmer4life said:
I own a 2001 f350 diesel. I am unsure of the max goose neck weight i can pull.

Ive got a 32 pj trailer with tandum duals tagged for 21k but has 12,000 lbs axles.

If i put 21k on the trailer am i legal?

I have a cdl.

Remember to subtract the weight of the trailer from that 21k trailer GVWR but you can add in the tongue weight too.

So if you have a trailer that weighs 2500 lbs and is rated at 21000 lbs, you can put 18,500 lbs on it. Assuming 10% of that total load is tongue weight (2100 lbs on the truck), you can put 20,600 on the trailer.

Also, I'm pretty sure the max for that truck is about 13,900 for diesel and 14,400 for the V10. Funny how those numbers have changed in 12 years. 1/2 tons are almost rated that high!

/ legal tow? #5  
check your door jamb on the truck and your owner's manual. It will specifically list your GCWR. Then start subtracting. Weight of the truck, weight of the trailer. it will leave you with what you can actually put on the deck and be legal. The traiiler will probably carry more than the truck is rated for though. I'm sure diamondpilot will share his wisdom shortly since you said the ford word lol

/ legal tow? #6  
check your door jamb on the truck and your owner's manual. It will specifically list your GCWR. Then start subtracting. Weight of the truck, weight of the trailer. it will leave you with what you can actually put on the deck and be legal. The traiiler will probably carry more than the truck is rated for though. I'm sure diamondpilot will share his wisdom shortly since you said the ford word lol

GCWR is not found in the door jamb, its in the owners manual. GVWR will be in the door jamb along with each axles max capacity.

Chris

/ legal tow? #8  
my 2011 chevy 3500hd reg cab srw gas is gcvwr is 20500

/ legal tow? #9  
My 06 F350 4x4 with single rear wheels has a GCWR of 23,000#

Chris

/ legal tow? #10  
We're talking about a 2001 here guys...