Firewood guess?

/ Firewood guess? #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
I've helped a buddy with three trailer loads like this, and neither of us has any reasonable idea how many face cords ths might be (I wouldn't take a penny from him, so it's not a big deal). Anybody want to take a stab at how much wood you'd call ths load?

202A2E91-2AB0-4B96-B36A-0122EAB4FBE4-2709-00000398ECBA7B8D_zps4a97ff18.jpg

/ Firewood guess? #2  
I'm guessing 4 face cords, based on assumption that trailer is about 6' wide, and that ramp is probably 3', and that is loosely stacked.

Looked up cord vs face cord. Face cord looks like more wood than it really is.

"The cord is a unit of measure of dry volume used in Canada and the United States to measure firewood and pulpwood. A cord is the amount of wood that, when "ranked and well stowed" (arranged so pieces are aligned, parallel, touching and compact), occupies a volume of 128 cubic feet (3.62 m3).[1] This corresponds to a well stacked woodpile 4 feet (122 cm) high, 8 feet (244 cm) long, and 4 feet (122 cm) deep; or any other arrangement of linear measurements that yields the same volume."

"The volume of a face cord therefore is 1/3 of the volume of a full cord even though it is 8 feet (244 cm) long and 4 feet (122 cm) high."

Cord (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Firewood guess? #3  
Between 2 and 3. It takes a tandem dump trailer to hold 3.

/ Firewood guess?
Would their be a difference split versus not? This was pretty tightly packed, and some of the logs were fairly large.

I know about the face cord/cord deal (tricky advertising really), but he was wondering about the number of face cords because that's how everybody prices it now.

/ Firewood guess? #5  
3 face cords- I n my area it is assumed that a piece of wood is between 16-20 inches long. a cord is 4x4x8 feet. (full dimension- you get this when you buy in 4' lengths)
When you order a cord, they think 2 8' rows, stacked 4' high side by side of 16-20" wood. A face cord is just one of these rows.
Some people who cut under 16" in length, when they bring a cord, their wood stacks out in 3 rows 8' long, 4' high. A face cord is 1 row of this shorter stuff. It all depends on who you are dealing with.

A cord is 128 cuft. When you buy a 4 cord load- it is a pre-measured volume truck body. The wood is thrown in loose and takes up more space than stacked wood.

I find I am closer to a full measure if the wood is unsplit and bigger thickness. I f you buy tree length, you tend to get a few extra cords.

I stay away from face cords- too inaccurate. The best luck I have had is when someone has it stacked- you see what you get. But you can't beat 4 cords cut and delivered and dumped. Guy I buy from is pretty good.

People argue up here that a cord of wood is like buying rough cut full dimension lumber- 2X4 8'long (= buying a cord of wood 4' length x 8' long x 4' high) Just like the mill turns that 2x4x8 into real dimensions of 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 8, your cord shrinks in real size every time a chainsaw is taken to it, and the more it is split! That's their logic.:laughing:

/ Firewood guess? #6  
I guessing 3-4 also.. I carry firewood in my 16ft trailer and I can carry nearly 1.5 to 2 cords at a time without overloading.

/ Firewood guess? #7  
I would say t is 1 to 1.5 real cords, I have a 14 ft dump trailer with 3 ft sides if stacked, and strapped down I can get 3 cords easy. All these different measuring sizes for wood is just a way to cheat people. a cord is a cord 4x4x8. all the rest are just fantasy numbers.

/ Firewood guess? #8  
I know what a cord is and also a face cord plus have the knack of good eyeballing.
I once complained that I was being seriously shortchanged and stacked to prove my point.
The reply was that it was a 'metric cord'!
A cord is 4 x 4 x 8, correct ? that makes a face cord 16" x 48" x 96"
So another trick some cutters have is to cut at 14" for their face cord.
Then you get those who sell 'semi dry', translated 'cut last week.'
also is 'mixed hard wood', translated one maple and 10 firs.

/ Firewood guess? #9  
I'm going to agree with everyone else, that's about a cord or 3 face cords, maybe a little more per load. Split wood can be stacked tighter. I have never had to buy wood so I really don't know of any tricks. I was using my dump truck to haul 3 cord a year from my place to my mothers and found that the 8'x7'x3' body would hold a cord if it was just tossed into it (vs stacked).

/ Firewood guess? #10  
1 to 1.5 cords and it will shrink when split and dried. I won't buy greenwood.