Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    LS R3039, Power King 1614, Simplicity Soveriegn 75th Aniv model.

Default Re: Tandom trailer blowout

Wow, I had no idea there are different valve stems for different applications. I recently bought 3 new Green ball tires (kudos Diamondpilot) for my utility trailer. Will have to check what valve stems they installed.
    Last week the TPM in the wifes 4Runner came on. I checked all 4 tires and the pressure was fine but the light was still on. Stood there scratching my head till it dawned on me - check the spare tire dummy! Sure enough, it was the low one.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by joemd11 View Post
    Wow, I had no idea there are different valve stems for different applications. I recently bought 3 new Green ball tires (kudos Diamondpilot) for my utility trailer. Will have to check what valve stems they installed.
    Last week the TPM in the wifes 4Runner came on. I checked all 4 tires and the pressure was fine but the light was still on. Stood there scratching my head till it dawned on me - check the spare tire dummy! Sure enough, it was the low one.
    Yea, most of your rubber stems are only good for Load Range C 50 psi tires. I find that even most of the tire shops are uneducated on valve stems.

Chris

Tractor
    Toolcat 5610 F. Bobcat V417 Versahandler. TORO+Loader

Valve stems come in different lengths also. I use the shortest metal ones on my trailer, since there no hubcaps.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by SPMMD View Post
    This trailer was last used 3 months before, which was also the last time tire pressures were measured and were appropriate. The trailer was dug out of 2 feet of snow for use, visual inspection, lights, brakes all checked but inflation pressures were not checked!!!! Trailer electronic brake gain set appropriately. Should tire inflation pressures be checked with every use ?

Attachment 305382

Attachment 305383

Tires: Trail America ST205 75D 15
    i don't even pull off my farm without checking the tire pressure.

if I stop for a meal while hauling a load, I walk around and thump and look at all the tires.. etc.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Agree with all this.

check tire pressure with gauge weekly. visual check only inadequate

check visually AFTER loading trailer, each time, learn how to notice low pressure

use high pressure valve stems, there is a difference, metal are preferred.

include spare in pressure check

I, too, carry two spares, 4 way spinner and heavy duty jack.

am glad your government services were truly beneficial...both LEO and roadside assistance...government being more useful than private enterprise...worth noting!
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

To add to the discussion about valve stems I'll say this. Get ones made with EPDM. It's a synthetic rubber, not the natural stuff that China uses in almost everything. Natural rubber dry rots in a year or two while the EPDM will last a heck of a lot longer. On top of that EPDM will remain flexible in cold weather where as thee rubber doesn't and will leak. When I asked about what pressure they were rated for they laughed at me, joked about not being cheap natural rubber, and then said more than 120 psi. So I bought a box of 50. It was something like $3 for 2 or $13 for a box of 50. The first thing you notice is they don't stick like fresh rubber when you open the box.
    BlackJack Tire Repair | Snap In Valve Stems
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

I check tire pressures EVERY time i take the trailer out before i load it up. I also recheck them after im on the road, usually at my first fuel stop. I also check tire temp (by hand) and hub temp (by hand) to verify no-ones doing something they should be and overheating. If on a long road trip, ill do the same hand check at each fuel stop. After the first pressure check with gauge, i generally just do a knock test for sound on subsequent stops.

OH i also do the tow vehicle tire check.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    I check tire pressures EVERY time i take the trailer out before i load it up. I also recheck them after im on the road, usually at my first fuel stop. I also check tire temp (by hand) and hub temp (by hand) to verify no-ones doing something they should be and overheating. If on a long road trip, ill do the same hand check at each fuel stop. After the first pressure check with gauge, i generally just do a knock test for sound on subsequent stops.

OH i also do the tow vehicle tire check.
    Always have been careful about checking by hand as you got a real hot hub or stuck brake you could get a good burn got singed by a bearing once. Carry one of those cheap $30 IR thermometers that will tell you temp within a few degrees and you can actually see if the front to rear tires or brakes are doing their fare share of the work.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Quote Originally Posted by David_Kb7uns View Post
    Always have been careful about checking by hand as you got a real hot hub or stuck brake you could get a good burn got singed by a bearing once. Carry one of those cheap $30 IR thermometers that will tell you temp within a few degrees and you can actually see if the front to rear tires or brakes are doing their fare share of the work.

David Kb7uns
    That's what I do plus I can check the transmission oil pan temp. I don't have a gauge in my dash. I try and measure the same spot every time. If the temp changes to much you can tell something is wrong or pushing to hard.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by David_Kb7uns View Post
    Yep, I have one of those that I got to check temperatures in the furnace and it has lots of uses. Used it last night to measure the temperature differential in my car radiator for a discussion on the Volvo list I am on.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast