Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts?

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
anyone seen this concept vehicle at one of the auto shows lately?

http://fordatlasconcept.fordpresskits.com/factsheets/Ford_Atlas_Concept_Callouts_US.pdf

They do have some interesting features on the above fact sheet, but I remember the
H2 concept when it was first shown in 2000 at the Hummer Homecoming held at the
AM General factory in South Bend/Mishawaka. The production vehicle didn't look
anything like the concept and somehow lost all the options that everyone was eyeballing
and drooling over. Now I know how it goes with concept vehicles, especially after living in
Detroit when I was a kid and my Dad worked for Chrysler and one of my uncles for GM.

But overall the look of the Atlas does not impress me. Also, too many of the features
shown on this fact sheet look like they could be problems when they decide to quit working.

I don't know what Dynamic Hitch Assist or Trailer Backup Assist could do for me that having
that rear camera does. Its so easy to hook up now with that camera its not funny.

Now the hidden cargo ramps which store under the bed is a good idea which could be useful
for some.

The motor used start-stop technology to save fuel and senses when the truck is towing to disable
this feature. If they can do that then why not my idea of skipping a gear when running unloaded?
I know my truck could easily either skip 2nd and go right to 3rd or start out in 2nd when unloaded
which I think would save fuel. Seems like a simple bit of programming to accomplish.

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #2  
The gear skipping is already done. The Torque Shift tranny introduced in 2003 was a 5 speed but had 6 gears and did just what you said based on temp, load, and tow haul. The latest version is a 7 speed that uses 6.

Like you said its just a concept

Chris

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #3  
It looks cool, but I could see busting the flapper air dam and wheel dams, side step the first time out hunting.

Actually, looks a lot like my buddies Raptor...

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #4  
Saw it in person at Detroit, nothing special, typical concept toned down a bit.

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #5  
It looks cool, but I could see busting the flapper air dam and wheel dams, side step the first time out hunting.

Actually, looks a lot like my buddies Raptor...

Except that they would already be retracted at lower speeds when off-roading.

I saw the Atlas concept here in Detroit, and it looks pretty sharp, but not all that different (in terms of features) than the current F150. It will probably be a nice truck though, and at least they are innovating. We'll have to see if the new, smaller ecoboost engines currently being tested, along with the new aero features, can get the MPGs up above 25 hwy.

The RAM trucks were same old (but nice), and the new Chevy/GMC trucks were pathetic, so yeah, Ford is currently winning, IMO.

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #6  
I just don't see those kinds of features surviving a few water crossings and mud holes.

I guess it also depends on the off-roading. I have used my skid plate, and bent up my plastic under the bumper...

Except that they would already be retracted at lower speeds when off-roading.

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #7  
But overall the look of the Atlas does not impress me. Also, too many of the features
shown on this fact sheet look like they could be problems when they decide to quit working.

Yep, too many dodads.

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts?
The gear skipping is already done. The Torque Shift tranny introduced in 2003 was a 5 speed but had 6 gears and did just what you said based on temp, load, and tow haul. The latest version is a 7 speed that uses 6.

Like you said its just a concept

Chris

I wish it did on my truck. It will jumpto 5th or 6th from 3rd, but not from 1st to 3rd or start from a dead stop (with no or light load) in 2nd.

/ Ford Atlas - All gimmick and no guts? #9  
Not sure I like the idea of LED headlights. Ever have to replace an LED tail light or 3rd brake light? $$$$, even more if the power supply goes too. I can only imagine what it would cost to replace on of them vs. $10 for a halogen bulb. Most likely a dealer-only item too.:mad: