Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Default Re: Single axle trailering of a CUT

I have a question to add to this post if anyone would be able to help me answer I would greatly appreciate it! I just bought a new BX1860 with FEL and MMM and am hoping to buy a utility trailer to tow it to be serviced and help out family at their land. I have a new Jeep Liberty with a hitch and hoped to get a single axle trailer. I will mostly use the trailer for mulch and landscaping around my property. Will a single axle trailer be strong enough to tow my tractor on occasion??? Thanks for the help!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

single axle trailers are pretty non-ideal for much larger than grass cutting machines. IMHO

I cannot reccomend a single axle trailer for a tractor.

CAN it work? maybee / possibly , depending on all particulars. Ideal? doubtfull.

for one.. in a smaller weight class of trailers.. you don't get nice things like brakes.. and floor options are usually expanded metal and light duty gates instead of ramps and solid flooring.

good luck..

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

I haul my much lighter BX on a 3500# single axle and it's sketchy as ****. I only go the 25 KM between my place and dads too.. I couldnt imagine a heavier tractor on a longer journey.

An upgrade is definitely in the cards for me.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Even though your little tractor is only 2000# with the loader and mmm mower I would not do it. Your liberty probably has tow rating of 5000# so I would get a 16' tandem axle landscape style trailer.

Chris

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I didn't really want to get a dual axle if I didn't have to. It has to be inspected and I'll have to put a brake controller on the Jeep too, and I won't be transporting the tractor on it much. Mostly used for mulch and other things around the home.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by PAlittleKub View Post
    That's sort of what I was afraid of. I didn't really want to get a dual axle if I didn't have to. It has to be inspected and I'll have to put a brake controller on the Jeep too, and I won't be transporting the tractor on it much. Mostly used for mulch and other things around the home.
    If I am going more then 5 miles I have found its much quicker just to drive my tractors. In reality, by the time you hitch up, check the tires, get the ramps out, load the tractor, chain up, drive there, then repeat the process it takes a hour.

Chris

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

You may well find a single trailer built heavy duty enough to hold a small tractor, However it is not always the payload you have to consider, They're many other factors, such as it having no brakes, difficult to know where and how to distribute the weight? yes you might start out thinking you have the weight of the tractor perfectly balance over the axle however that weight can suddenly be transfered to the rear of the tow vehicle when having to unexpectedly hit the brakes, The momentum and extra weight will slam the rear of the vehicle down resulting in lifting the front of the vehicle and will not have adequate braking, remember the largest part of your braking comes from the front brakes of you vehicle, The next scenario could be while towing up an incline the weight then shifts to the rear resulting in tongue lift and lifting of the rear of the tow vehicle then loosing traction, and now fro the 3rd scenario, (Jack-knife ) is always a possibility in towing both dual and single axle trailers, But at least with having a tandem axles the weight is over the TWO axles and will have a safer chance of getting your rig stopped,
    If reasons for think and wanting to use a single axle trailer are to prevent over loading the tow vehicle, Your wrong, You should use a lighter built tandem if need be instead of a heavier built single axle trailer, The rule is, It's better to have More and not need it, than to need more and not have it, You can find smaller 5x10 ft tandem trailer, actually I had one and sold it due to obvious reasons of needing a larger trailer,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-176-jpg  
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Tractor
    JD 5055E

About 40 years ago the company I worked for, had a low tilt bed trailer that they used to transport an International Hough payloader. It was single axle trailer, and worked fine.
    It had 20 inch wheels and was towed behind a 10 ton truck with air brakes.
    It makes a big difference how big the tow vehicle is, as to what you can tow too.

Bill

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by Notforhire View Post
    About 40 years ago the company I worked for, had a low tilt bed trailer that they used to transport an International Hough payloader. It was single axle trailer, and worked fine.
    It had 20 inch wheels and was towed behind a 10 ton truck with air brakes.
    It makes a big difference how big the tow vehicle is, as to what you can tow too.

Bill
    yes it does.

the one time i hauled a tractor on a single axle I was pulling with a ranger.. it was a uncomfortable experience. had that been behind my f450 drw.. I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed an issue..

for the OP.. i'd rent a wet brake uhaul tandem before i'd pull single. your call.. be safe.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

I suppose you've considered hiring it hauled instead of ramping up to do it yourself? Somebody like U-Ship can haul it for what it'll cost you in fuel and expenses, not to mention two nerve racking days of driving time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast