Single axle trailering of a CUT

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #41  
awe schucks.. the trip is where the stories fome from!! :)

( But I'd be doing it with a tandem, correct sized trailer.. not a teeter totter.. )

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #42  
Last time I had to trailer my Kubota L2800 with front end loader and backhoe I went to Sunbelt rentals and rented a 20' tandem tilt bed for $44 for the weekend.
Pick up Friday midday return on Monday Midday.
You need a longer trailer to have the room to position the tractor and achieve the correct balance point, and tongue weight.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT
Picked up a 14' tandem from Sunbelt this morning. Gonna get on the road this evening when my navigator (daughter) gets home from work. Planning on driving about 4-5 hours this evening then the rest tomorrow. Split the trip again on the return leg. A little dad/daughter adventure.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #44  
gregfender said:
Picked up a 14' tandem from Sunbelt this morning. Gonna get on the road this evening when my navigator (daughter) gets home from work. Planning on driving about 4-5 hours this evening then the rest tomorrow. Split the trip again on the return leg. A little dad/daughter adventure.
That sounds great!
Memories in the making.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #45  
will be fun.

I love drives to fetch equipment!

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT
Loaded up and ready to go to its new home.

image-1967115919.jpg

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #47  
Interesting reading some of the comments. Sure buy the biggest dual axle trailer you can afford, but don't be lulled into the belief that you do not have to properly position the load on a tandem axle trailer. All trailers should have 12-15% of the loaded weight on the tongue. 10% if you have added sway control, but no less then 10%. I towed towed my SCUT for several years from home to my woodlot, 450 miles round trip every other weekend on a single axle. Properly loaded, a single axle will track better then a tandem axle. They have some nifty narrow 14 foot trailers for two ATV's. I think the real issue is, I can see you trailering your SCUT to do a job and maybe needing to bring some extras with you pushing the limit of a 3500 lb trailer. I would look for at minimum, a single axle trailer with a 5,200 lb braked axle in the length you require. I have a 4000 lb tractor so I needed a 7,000 lb axle trailer but gone are the days when I could push an empty trailer around the driveway by hand. No way your gonna do that with any tandem axle trailer.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #48  
but don't be lulled into the belief that you do not have to properly position the load on a tandem axle trailer. .

did anyone actually say that? I may have missed it.. admittedly..

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #49  
I have a 4000 lb tractor so I needed a 7,000 lb axle trailer

The OP wrote; "the tractor is right at 3500-4000.", so why wouldn't he need the same size trailer as you?

"don't be lulled into the belief that you do not have to properly position the load on a tandem axle trailer."

Yes, proper loading is key, but a tandem is much more forgiving. A single axle may track better on a smooth, flat road, with no potholes, or steep hills, but in the real world give me a tandem any day.

Best, Bill

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #50  
I'll take a tandem over a single any day. With the shape most roads are in, tandem is a lot better pull. I even have tandem on my 17.5' skiff. Just shake my head as others are bouncing their boats all around. Position of your load is key with any load. I position my loads with a 40' tandem dual.