Single axle trailering of a CUT

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #52  
Tandem duals is a whole different story.

Chris

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #53  
A trailer isn't necessarily bad because of the single axle, but because of the overall light build of many single axle trailers.

Some nice heavy duty singles I wouldn't hesitate to use:

North Star Industries. (Engineering, Transport Equipment, Crane Hire) Nathalia, VictoriaBruce

Even though this is an extreme example, I understand your point.
I think the discussion has much to do with the OP's tow vehicle, a Jeep Liberty. As I have mentioned before, (see posting #38), if he had a larger tow vehicle a HD single axle would be fine.

"( But I'd be doing it with a tandem, correct sized trailer.. not a teeter totter.. ) " Good analogy. Single axle trailers tend to teeter totter much more than tandems do, which is bad if the tow vehicle is borderline.:eek:

Best, Bill

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #54  
also to mention what might happen if one of the tires were to blow out on a standard single axle trailer when hauling a 4000 lb tractor:cool:
The examples shown in above post of the super heavy duty single axle trailers would certainly haul a 4000 lb tractor, although it doesn't state how much tongue weight or size of tow vehicle would take to pull this type of trailer,.... I'd say more than a 1/2 ton truck would be required,;)

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #56  
I would think a U-haul car trailer would be fine. They are rated to carry about 5000 lbs of vehicle. One limitation you will run into is that the hold-down straps that they have, which are designed to go over a car's tires, won't go over your tractor's rear tires. You will need to confirm that you have tie-down points on the trailer (you can almost certainly improvise something) and ratchet straps or chains of sufficient capacity, at least for the rear of the tractor.

For tie-downs or chains, you will want a working load of at least 3000 lbs, so if you go with ratchet straps, you'll need the 2-3" wide 10,000 lb breaking strength ones.

As long as we're at it, you'll want to make sure your tow vehicle is good to go. The trailer itself weighs about 2000 lbs, plus your tractor and you're at around 6000 lbs. What's your tow vehicle's capacity, and have you confirmed that all of the components of the tow package (hitch, ball mount, and ball) are rated over 6000 lbs? Are you going to need a weight-distributing hitch to achieve that tow capacity?

If you are speaking of the brand U-Haul trailer, be aware U-Haul only permits hauling of cars on their trailers and require a vehicle description of the load when renting. If you were to get into an accident while hauling a tractor when you told them you would be hauling a car might cause you some problems.:2cents: