F150 problems

/ F150 problems #1  

Dhuffman1

Tractor
F150
I have a 1998 F150 and the oil got real low today there seems to be no visible leak as there is no oil stains in the drive and now it has a very strong shake when i drove it to the auto parts store to get more oil...its got high miles but it just seems strange to me that it all started today if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

/ F150 problems #2  
Welcome to the forum.

What motor is in it? When was the last time it was checked? How many miles are on it?

/ F150 problems #3  
:welcome:to TBN Is it a 5.4?

/ F150 problems
its got the 5.4L V8 and its got 170000 mi on it the last time i checked the oil was a few days ago and it was fine

/ F150 problems #5  
If you drive it every day,the oil might be burning off on the catalytic and not hitting the ground from a leak.The `very strong shake' was probably from the lifters starting to collapse if it has hydraulic lifters.
I have seen oil sending units leak only when the engine was running,so maybe that is it? Anyway,the oil must be getting out SOMEWHERE,right? UNLESS it's blowing blue smoke going down the road? don-ohio :)^)

/ F150 problems #6  
Overhead cam engines are prone to leaking valve stem seals so that could be were the oil went, burning it. How low was the oil level? The rough running may be a fouled spark plug. How long ago was the PCV valve changed?

/ F150 problems #7  
Did you blow a plug out?

How low was the oil? When did you check it last? Oil in antifreeze or vice versa?

/ F150 problems #8  
Did you blow a plug out?

How low was the oil? When did you check it last? Oil in antifreeze or vice versa?

/ F150 problems #9  
Could be anything at them miles on a 15 year old truck. We can all guess but a compression check is needed.

Chris