stand up or slide in ramps

/ stand up or slide in ramps #1  

930ck

Silver Member
Tractor
allis d 17/ case 930, 1370/ kubota L5740
Need a trailer to haul my kubota 5740 and had originally thought about a trailer with 5200 # axles but for a few hundred more I decided to go with a 14000 # 18+2 dovetail (may need to haul broken vehicles) trailer. Leaning towards getting the stand up ramps but was curious what others opinion was. Trailer will be used most for hauling tractor .

/ stand up or slide in ramps #2  
I have a 16' with 2' dovetail that has slide in ramps, The ramps are a little heavy not too bad but my trailer is rated for 5000 lbs. so your trailer being able to haul
more weight will probably be heavier. The one advantage that the fold-up ramps have is seeing the end of the trailer when the deck is empty. I can just see end of the
trailer in my rearview mirror but not the end of the dovetail.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #3  
Advantages to standups:
- easy to use - always right there.
- they hold up the back of the trailer (assuming they have feet) - very important.
downsides
- can't carry anything long as the ramps are in the way
- very heavy if not spring supported

Slide-in advantages
- out of the way - can haul long stuff

disadvantages
- can be heavier to pull out and use - or can also be nice light aluminum...
- need supports for back of trailer

my $0.02

/ stand up or slide in ramps #4  
I am not a stand up ramp guy. Slide in for me. Too many times did my old stand up ramps get in the way. My new trailer has slide in and in 30 seconds I am ready to load.

Chris

/ stand up or slide in ramps #5  
I am not a stand up ramp guy. Slide in for me. Too many times did my old stand up ramps get in the way. My new trailer has slide in and in 30 seconds I am ready to load.

Chris

Totally agree....slide in for me as well. Out of the way......I use my trailer for a lot more than hauling car or tractor....ramps would be in the way.:2cents:

/ stand up or slide in ramps #6  
Another vote for slide in ramps here.

Have you ever towed a trailer with stand up ramps down a bumpy road?
Even a brand new trailer will bang so loudly as the ramps swing back and forth, you'd think the tires were square.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #7  
My newest trailer has slide in ramps and I don't like them. For utility type use (lumber, hay, etc) they are fine, but they are a pain to get in and out, don't support the trailer when loading, and the doors that hold them in aren't the most robust. For most it wouldn't be an issue, but I sometimes load and unload equipment multiple times per day (fencing and construction business.) Next trailer will have stand up ramps.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #8  
First choice: Tilt bed

Second choice: Stand-up ramps that can fold all the way forward leaving a flat, level bed full length for hauling non-wheeled stuff.

Here's a full width version:

DovetailRamps.jpg

Two smaller ramps:

flatbed_combo2.jpg

Almost flat when folded:

3798_p3_8-5ft-x-25ft-flatbed-gooseneck-trailer-fold-over-ramps-georgia.jpg

1317674855_56725730_11-85ft-x-25ft-Flatbed-Gooseneck-Trailer-Fold-Over-Ramps-.jpg

Bruce

/ stand up or slide in ramps #9  
The fold up ramps on my 16' trailer can lay on the deck when up but they've gotten in the way a number of times. My trailer is a 22k so it needs to have the legs on the ramps and the weight of them would make too heavy to handle. If I had my choice I would go with slide in ramps.

/ stand up or slide in ramps #10  
Another vote for slide in ramps here.

Have you ever towed a trailer with stand up ramps down a bumpy road?
Even a brand new trailer will bang so loudly as the ramps swing back and forth, you'd think the tires were square.

The slide ins on my Top Hat utility trailers aren't any quieter.