Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Case CX90, IH 1086

Default Re: Would you haul anything on this trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by JJZ 109 View Post
    He must have a license to pull doubles.
    Don't need a license in many places to pull a double.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

You use the bucket to shove down the hind end of the 2x10ramps then drive up until they flip back up. Stick on some red flags, chains, binders and off you go...

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

plenty of red flags come to mind hauling with that.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    Only huge oversized loads, unsecured of course, and with little or no weight over the tongue with the tires mixmatched and under inflated!
    BTW, the recxeiver hitch is for adding various other trailers behind the main trailer- DUH!
    Oh yeah, how much?
    This is hilarious that only someone on here or like us would get !!
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

What? You mean this is not a normal trailer?
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Farmall

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    If you would, then it's for sale on CL!! How much weight can three 2x10's stacked onto each other hold at the end of the leverage point? I wouldn't want to try and find out.
    Attachment 307626
    How much weight could 3 stacked 2x10's hold at the end of the leverage point? The entire weight of an automobile could be placed at the very end, however when loaded there will be zero weight at the end of the triple stacked 16 foot pressure treated SYP planks.

I pondered what is the purpose of the triple stacked lumber since a loading ramp extension could be easily accomplished with a single plank.
    I think the triple stack is so the doors of the cars can open above the fenders.

Cripes, today's cars only weigh 3000-4000 pounds,
    this trailer (although it is certainly a bastardlashup) is a perfectly safe and of adequate strength to accomplish the task. I wouldn't be afraid to haul a full sized pickup truck on it.

The only thing it needs is a light bar (w/ side markers) hung on the furthermost back end of the planks to make it street legal..

By comparison, look at the trailers that Lowes, TSC, etc. offer for sale, this ugly trailer is far and away stronger than the chintzy built crap trailers from Lowes.
    "I know the end of humanity is near when my tractor comes with a place to store and plug in a cell phone, but no tool box" -- God's Country

Tractor
    Kubota's

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    What? You mean this is not a normal trailer?
    A normal trailer has one flat tire.

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

The steel tread in the trailer at the beginning of the topic will also give one some strength near the ends of the planks. I agree that it looks funky, but I'm sure it does its job as long as the load is tied down well. It just needs lights closer the the back of the trailer, and perhaps flags on the ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by ghenges View Post
    By comparison, look at the trailers that Lowes, TSC, etc. offer for sale, this ugly trailer is far and away stronger than the chintzy built crap trailers from Lowes.
    Each type of trailer has its place.

I showed you a photo of my "car hauler".
    And, rake hauling trailer

Haulin brand was originally sold by Home Depot, I think.

It is a HUGE step up from the Harbor Freight version. I find it is an excellent little utility trailer. I've never installed a jack because I usually just grab the chains and move it around by hand.

The little 8" tires are rated at an incredible 910 lbs each.
    I haven't mounted the replacement tires yet, rated at 1073 lbs each.

I find it is an excellent little trailer and performs its job admirably.

The only complaint that I have had about it is that the tongue was originally only attached to the first and second cross members, the second being a piece of bent channel iron. After almost loosing the tongue, it is now welded to the first, second, third, and fourth cross members (3/4 the length of the trailer), and has the bulldog hitch. I welded both ends of it before I realized that I had made it too long, but I kind of like it long.

I occasionally get comments about the soda cans.

Anyway, I haven't tried the new generation of big box store trailers, but the mid 1990's model I have has done quite well as a small general purpose utility trailer.

Tractor
    Farmall

Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    The steel tread in the trailer at the beginning of the topic will also give one some strength near the ends of the planks. I agree that it looks funky, but I'm sure it does its job as long as the load is tied down well. It just needs lights closer the the back of the trailer, and perhaps flags on the ramps.
    Each type of trailer has its place.
    I showed you a photo of my "car hauler".
    And, rake hauling trailer
    Haulin brand was originally sold by Home Depot, I think.
    It is a HUGE step up from the Harbor Freight version. I find it is an excellent little utility trailer. I've never installed a jack because I usually just grab the chains and move it around by hand.
    The little 8" tires are rated at an incredible 910 lbs each.
    I haven't mounted the replacement tires yet, rated at 1073 lbs each.
    I find it is an excellent little trailer and performs its job admirably.
    The only complaint that I have had about it is that the tongue was originally only attached to the first and second cross members, the second being a piece of bent channel iron. After almost loosing the tongue, it is now welded to the first, second, third, and fourth cross members (3/4 the length of the trailer), and has the bulldog hitch. I welded both ends of it before I realized that I had made it too long, but I kind of like it long.
    I occasionally get comments about the soda cans.
    Anyway, I haven't tried the new generation of big box store trailers, but the mid 1990's model I have has done quite well as a small general purpose utility trailer.
    Wasn't particularly dissing these big box store trailers.
    I own a 6x8 foot TSC trailer myself, they are indeed cheep & chintzy, they sell enough of them so their liability carriers evidently are satisfied with the adequacy of the engineering and construction. Still I feel somewhat uncomfortable towing something built to the minimum standard..
    Handy and light though, just throw it up into the truck bed when going to pick up something (I hate the bouncing when empty on these rough PA roads).
    "I know the end of humanity is near when my tractor comes with a place to store and plug in a cell phone, but no tool box" -- God's Country

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original

Would I use the trailer as it sits now? NO. But it does have a lot of potential to be converted into a nice trailer of some sort.

Look at the length of the trailer and then look at the balance point. There is a lot more wood sticking out behind the axles than in front of them. I think instead of having fold down ramps he had "stick straight out the back ramps". My FIL bought a trailer years ago that was built like this, although it was welded steel, not wood) to haul his riding mower on. He had 4 different properties to mow and his was a tilt back. When connected to the truck, tilt unlatched, nothing on the trailer, it stayed in a tilted position, slightly heavier in the rear. When you drove up on the trailer, the weight of the mower tilted it forward/down. You could tilt it down with two fingers, well balanced, but designed to stay tilted so you could drive up on it. It looked weird but worked great. I think this guy did a makeshift job of copying that design. Although his doesn't look like a tilt but by raising the front it would tilt. Makeshift job for sure but it worked for him.
    modify, adjust and improvise....a country boy can survive

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast