Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #11  
New ford 150's getting 22mpg. Nissan and toyota will kill you on parts

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #12  
@OP:

Since you have a 2001 F-350 7.3 diesel, I doubt very much the Tacoma or Frontier will give you significantly better mileage in spite of their smaller size and lighter curb weight. If it were a 2013 F-350 diesel with all the new emissions equipment on it, then you might see better mileage with the Tacoma and Frontier; but probably not by much.

The big advantage to the Tacoma and Frontier is going to be maneuverability, and saving wear and tear on the F-350 being used as a daily driver hauling air in the bed.

I had a 1983 2WD S-10 with 2.8L V-6 and a 4-speed manual and I got 20-MPG out of it on average...when the dam truck wasn't in the shop.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #13  
I have personally known 2 Toyota Tacomas with over 250k miles, and both are still on the road as daily drivers. I know of no early failures.

Now these are older than your 2005 target, but they are a great testament to the longevity of Toyotas.

I have two Highlanders, one with 130k miles, and one with 150k. No signs of any early failures. Both still going strong. I would not hesitate a second to cross the country and back with either of them.

For whatever reason, Nissan is not nearly so popular around here...

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #14  
If this truck is only going to be used for puttin' around town, I'd forget the double cab V6 and just buy a regular cab base model with the 2.7 and 5-speed manual. I owned a 2007 regular cab, 2wd, 5-speed with the 2.7 for a year and paid $10,000 for it. It only had 20,000 miles when I bought it and I sold it for $11,000 with 60,000. that truck consistently got 25 mpg in mixed driving. I now own a 2012 TRD off-road double cab 4x4 with the v6 and auto and consistently get 20 in winter and 22 in summer all day everyday. I hand calculate my mileage and with crappy Walmart fuel I averaged 19.8 last week. I rarely fill up at Walmart but I happen to be there and needed gas so I said what the heck. The 6-speed is actually an Aisin transmission and is fun but from what I have read it takes some getting used to and you lose 1-2 mpg with it. This is due to the overdrive gears keeping the rpm's too high. Not sure why Toyota calibrated this transmission like that but the auto does get better mileage with the v6. Skip the 4-speed auto if you get the 4cyl. it's a dog and constantly shifts.

Toyota greatly improved the interior comfort of these trucks in 2012 and my seats are more comfortable then what I had in my 2011 GMC SLT. Those leather seats suck. My seats in my 2004 Z71 were way more comfortable then my 2011. As for the Frontier, you'll most likely get a MUCH better deal on one then you will a Tacoma. I got $3,000 off of my Tacoma but they happen to be trying to get rid of the last 2012's and I got super lucky.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #15  
I have a 2010 Frontier with the 4L and the six speed manual. I have 50,000 on it and get 20mpg in mixed driving with regular gas. I don't know about Nissan parts as I haven't bought any yet, just replaced two stone cut tires. Lots of nice features built in hands free phone ,six disk CD changer with controls on the steering wheel etc. Goes through frame deep VT mud like a CJ on nitro. You can have mine when you pry the keys from my cold dead hand. :cool:

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #16  
Both I think are good trucks if you go with a manual trans.

One "known issue" with Nissan with auto trans is from around 2002 till about 2008/9 had a high rate of cooler failure. The trans cooler is inside the radiator and would get a hole and mix the trans fluid with the coolant and damage the trans. I know a few people with Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Xterra's that around 60-70,000 miles had this happen. None were able to get any kind of a brake on the cost of repairs. One friend with a Pathfinder looks like he caught it early enough so just flush the trans and replace the radiator. He's had it 2 years since and still driving it daily.

You can google the issue and find a lot of information on it.

Owners of Nissan Trucks and S.U.V.'s Report Transmission Failures - NYTimes.com

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #17  
I had a 2006 Nissan Frontier. Great truck, after the engine was replaced at 60K miles. When I bought it (used, with 60K miles), the engine oil light came on within a week after I bought it...put a quart of oil in it...then another, then another. IIRC, this DOHC V-6 held 6 quarts and it was at least 4 quarts low.
Anyway, the dealer (Apple Ford on Red Lion PA) ended up putting a used 4.0 liter engine in the truck.
After that, it was a great truck...no complaints and I'm sorry I traded for a Crewcab F-150, in some regards.
One thing I have read, but no personal experience...the pre-2005 Frontiers (and Xterras) were shy on power...so buy 2005 or newer. And go for the 6 speed manual!

Last edited:
   / Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #18  
The oil companies just love to see those PU and SUV used as commuters instead of small cars.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #19  
i have had both i like the toyota better it sits higher off the ground. i have the tacoma now with a 4cyl auto it gets average 20mpg were my nissan 6cyl auto got about 15mpg, the 4 deffinitly does not have the acceleration as the 6 but for me i would rather get the milage and go a little slower mostly the way gas prices are going and its only going to get worse.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #20  
The Toyota PU I had before my current PreRunner sold the first morning it was in the want ads. The money was in the bank before lunch, despite having dents all over it, fading paint and 150k miles. Gardening landscapers love'em.