Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #22  
Any thoughts on why the frontier is cheaper?

Don't know why the Frontier is cheaper. I've been driving Nissan trucks since the 70's and they are Timexs ... take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Don't have a Frontier but do have an Xterra V6. The Xterra is basically a Frontier disguised as a SUV. That thing is built like a tank and in 4WD will go thru a foot of snow. The only things I don't like are 17 MPG and rough ride.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #23  
One thing I was always curious about was why Nissan discontinued the regular cab's in the Frontier.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #24  
I had a new 90 Nissan P/U and it was a pretty good truck but not a Toyota. Shifting the transmission felt sloppy, loose. It felt like the truck shifted like it had 150k on the transmission. I've often looked at Nissans over the years but they never excited me. Maybe it was because I didn't form an attachment with that 90. I'm sure they are light years better, what brand isn't. I've even seriously looked at the Q37 as a nice 4dr awd car for trips.

Around here if it's made by Toyota then it will be in demand. Used ones sell quickly. I can't think of anyone that I know who owns a Tacoma (more than a dozen) that has anything bad to say about them. Plenty of Rangers around too, they seam to be very reliable as well. Honestly I know of nobody that owns a Nissan truck.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #25  
Both I think are good trucks if you go with a manual trans.

One "known issue" with Nissan with auto trans is from around 2002 till about 2008/9 had a high rate of cooler failure. The trans cooler is inside the radiator and would get a hole and mix the trans fluid with the coolant and damage the trans. I know a few people with Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Xterra's that around 60-70,000 miles had this happen. None were able to get any kind of a brake on the cost of repairs. One friend with a Pathfinder looks like he caught it early enough so just flush the trans and replace the radiator. He's had it 2 years since and still driving it daily.

You can google the issue and find a lot of information on it.

Owners of Nissan Trucks and S.U.V.'s Report Transmission Failures - NYTimes.com

This is a common issue with just about all makes. My fathers Corvette did it along with my co pilots wifes caddy. I have heard it happening to lots of other brands also.

Chris

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #26  
One thing I was always curious about was why Nissan discontinued the regular cab's in the Frontier.

So they could use the same chassis for the SUV and p/u.

David

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #27  
This is a common issue with just about all makes. My fathers Corvette did it along with my co pilots wifes caddy. I have heard it happening to lots of other brands also.

Chris

The question was about Frontiers which while all machinery that uses a dual cooler like these can have issues (yes I know of others having similar issues, and not just cars and trucks). These seem to have more than their share to the point of having national stories on the subject.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #28  
We have an 02 double cab 4x4 as a work truck with 200+ thousand miles all overloaded driven/abused 5 days w week no major problems.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #29  
Hey guys, i know i am fairly new to TBN, but i am looking for a truck to cruise into town in. I have a 2001 F-350 PSD to tow my trailers and stuff, and i need something better on gas than my F-350. I really like the Toyota Tacoma 4.0 V6,6 speed 4x4, but i was looking on the web and it seems I can get a Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 6 speed 4x4 for significantly cheaper. Any thoughts on why the frontier is cheaper? And please no brand bashing! Thanks. I am looking at used with 60,000+ miles

I had a 06 tacoma I towed between 3000 and 5000 lbs 15 weekends per year. My tranny gave out at 86,000 miles. They flew in someone from Toyota to look at it, no luck and out of warranty.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #30  
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4X4 with 5 speed automatic. Just turned 60,000 miles last week. Great truck overall - the automatic is actually rated for higher fuel efficiency than the 6 speed standard. I've bought it new and I plow snow using a Sno-Way plow. I love it, except when I pull up to the pump! I average about 15.5 mpg (including plowing for myself & my neighbor). What can I say - I love my Tacoma!