Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #31  
Seeing these real world fuel mileage claims from owners of mid-sized trucks just proves they are not worth it over a half ton full size. That will change soon though, Ford already has a new Ranger close to production and the others are not far behind. Of course they are closer to full sized than compact but should return much better fuel mileage and capabilities.
news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/03/global-ranger-could-be-right-size-for-us.html

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #32  
So far Ford has said that the new Ranger is only for markets that they don't offer their full size F150 in, so US version. Too bad because they are second to the Tacoma around here in compacts you'll see driving down the road. The fuel savings is not the main point in switching to a smaller pick-up. Size and maneuverability the biggest advantage they have. A full size truck is fine on a country road but once you get into a parking lot or on a city street that size becomes a liability. I suspect that sooner or later we'll see these smaller trucks switch to a unibody frame. I'm not sure how well that will go but I also expect the mileage will jump by at least 5 mpg. Right now you can get 30 mpg with a Toyota Rav-4 with a slightly smaller 4 cylinder engine than is in the basic Tacoma. It's just a matter of time before the larger v6 engines are no longer offered, just like they are not offered in the new Rav-4.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #33  
Seeing these real world fuel mileage claims from owners of mid-sized trucks just proves they are not worth it over a half ton full size. That will change soon though, Ford already has a new Ranger close to production and the others are not far behind. Of course they are closer to full sized than compact but should return much better fuel mileage and capabilities.
news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/03/global-ranger-could-be-right-size-for-us.html

Here are the main reasons I decided to go to a mid-size truck from my previous two Z71's:

1. Cost!!! Property taxes where I live are robbery on a full size truck. I'm talking about just 1/2 tons. I was paying $850 for a 2011 Crew Cab Z71 4x4. I paid $450 recently for my Tacoma. The 7th year of owning my 2004 extended cab Z71 the property taxes were still $320....and the truck never qualified for high mileage discount even though it had 130,000 on it. I was told that once you reach 100,000 you always got the discount. guess not. Another thing was insurance. My insurance dropped $120 A YEAR when I went from my Z71 to the Tacoma. The Tacoma has less safety features too as it's not near as lavish of a truck as my previous two Z71's. Shocking isn't it? Who wouldn't like to have extra $$$ in their pocket? oh, btw, all my trucks have/had farm tags on them and the taxes and insurance was STILL that high. Imagine what it would have been without it. If you own a 3/4 or 1 ton around here you better be like that biker on the Geico commercial (made of money).

2. Gas mileage. I'm averaging 20 mpg on my Tacoma. Both my Z71's averaged 16-17 no matter what. I don't care what the sticker tells you, they lie. I never saw 20 mpg in a GM truck that I owned. NEVER. Didn't even sniff 20 mpg. I also like the fact that it doesn't hurt near as bad to fill up my truck now. $100 a week hurts compared to $60.

3. Reliability. My 2004 Z71 was a good reliable truck. My 2011 felt cheap and was starting to fall apart in a year. It didn't do half the work my Tacoma has done, but if my Tacoma does what my 2004 did, it'll go down in history as one of my all-time best trucks.

4. Price. Where I live, Ford won't deal...with me at least. I looked at an eco-boost hard but it just wasn't meant to be. The Ram dealers in my area are sort of ghetto so I could just imagine service after the sale with them. Toyota took $3,000 off the price and threw in 5 years 60,000 miles free maintenance. Couldn't walk away from that.

5. I'm starting to notice A LOT of Tacomas in my area here lately. Less and less full-size trucks compared to 3-4 years ago. I think everyone did what I did, decided to save some money where they could.

6. I use my truck off-road most of the time. I couldn't do that with my 2011 because the front end was so low to the ground and the front valence would get ripped off. This Tacoma has excellent ground clearence and the TRD off-road package is more then just a sticker and extra $$$. You get locking diff at the push of a button, metal skid plates under the truck, hill descent control, 120 watt outlet in the bed which comes in VERY handy, auto-trac which is supposed to be a good thing for snow I heard but in SC we don't get any, Billstein shocks, upgraded seats, locking toolbox under both rear seats, oil and transmission cooler, trailer sway control, etc.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #34  
At $3.65 a gallon fuel mileage isn't everything but let fuel get to $5 , $6, $7 up and up and it will be everything. The government wants us to get off gas and oil fired engines and they will force us to it with higher gas taxes even if the price of crude oil doesn't go up. It is not the price of gas the day you buy the truck that matters but the average price over the life of the truck. I bought my Nissan with that in mind and even then might have to park it if things go ridiculous too soon.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #35  
I'm on my second Toyota Tundra ('04 and '06 years - Before they went to full size). Both have been v8 trucks, and the fuel mileage is poor at best 14-16 mpg. That said, I've gone over 200k miles on each of them, and never replaced a part outside of normal maintenance. Unless you're just wanting a second truck, I don't see how it will pay for itself. You'll spend over 10k + interest to get it, won't get much better mileage, have additional insurance payments, depreciation, and additional maintenance. Sounds like throwing good $ away. Consider this... if you drive 10,000 miles a year in a truck that gets 15 mpg, @ 3.50 a gallon, you'll spend $2,333 on fuel. If you do the same in a truck that gets 20 mpg, you'll spend $1,750 on fuel. You'll save a total of $583 a year in fuel. What kind of second truck can you buy for $583, and how can you make that pay for itself?

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma
OkieDeisel, I can afford a second truck and am going to buy one. How about that

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #37  
Kewl by me JD. I did qualify it by saying "Unless you're just wanting a second truck". Enjoy whatever you choose... I for one love the Toyota's.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #38  
Tough to go wrong with either one but I find a full size half-ton truck will get the same fuel mileage, be more comfortable, nearly the same price and be much more capable.

Kinda what I was thinking too. Heck, my new Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi is getting 15-16 just local driving. Seems like if you're going to step down to a smaller truck with a 6 cylinder and manual you'd want more than 19 for daily stuff.
But then I have no idea of how close or far apart the price differences are on the 2 trucks. Never had interest in a smaller truck since owning a new 1986 S-10 4x4 so I never looked in the direction of Tacoma or Frontier.

Last edited:
   / Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #39  
I'm trying to understand how bigger equates to more comfortable. Are the seats in a bigger truck more like a couch? Do I want to sit on a couch and drive my truck? I think I might like a high-quality bucket seat to sit in while manhandling my truck, not a recliner. I'm pretty sure the bigger trucks have the bucket seats but if they are too big, then they don't do their job which is to hold you in position while providing comfort. Have you seen the latest Tacoma's? Do they strike you as seeming small? To me, they seem big and the Chevy's/Fords/Dodge trucks seem too big. The tailgates and sides of the beds on those are way too high, if you ask me. Crap, you can't even see what is in the bed of your truck without using a ladder. Well, I guess you didn't ask me....OK....I'm going......

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #40  
In 2006 I wanted a truck and narrowed it to a Frontier and Tacoma; actually got a better deal on the 06 Tacoma Prerunner, 4X2 with auto. It now has 95K miles and still runs great. Other than scheduled maintenance, I've never had any repairs...the original brakes are still on! Gets 23 mpg. I think both are great trucks, but my Tacoma is the best vehicle I've owned in 40 years of owning vehicles!