Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #53  
Why did you hate your 2006 Tacoma?

The tranny went at 86, 000 miles. everytime the 1st to 2nd shift, was so hard the car would shake. Toyota flew someone into rural VA to look at it, it said it was normal. No claim.

I did tow 5000 lbs on weekends ( the limit was 6700)

I had to sell it, after nobody could figure it out. At least when I sold it, it still shifted.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #54  
Thank God it never needed an alignment..... :confused2:

I was impressed that it never needed one, and saved me a couple hundred bucks. My 93 solid axle, front and rear, explorer needed an alignment every 40, 000 miles.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #55  
Both are good trucks. The Nissan is my favorite (comfort,engine 4.0) but not by much. The gas mileage is not great,but just about everything else is.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #56  
After 46 years of driving, I've never had to align any of my vehicles. Can't say I've ever owned a Ford though. :)

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #57  
I was in the same boat as you are last spring. I looked for 4 months before making a decision and I went with a Toyota.The Nissan's are nice, but I was in the market for a standard cab truck and Nissan does not offer one. I have owned three Toyota's and never had a problem with any of them. The first one was a regular cab 4x4 that I drove into the ground (275,000 miles). The second one was an 2003 extended cab, V6, 4x4, (135,000 miles) that I traded in on a full size truck because I thought I needed more room- still regret that decision. The third is a NEW 2012 standard cab, automatic 4x4 that I truly enjoy. I get great gas millage, 23-25mpg, with it and more than enough room for me and the wife. I looked at the Nissan's before buying the 2012 Toyota, but they don't make a standard cab truck, and I didn't see the need for the extended cab.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #58  
I had a standard cab S-10 back in the 80's and since it was my daily driver, I hated not having a place to lock stuff up away from prying hands and the weather. I could have gotten an extended cab with the S-10; but then I was limited to a short bed and I wanted a long bed. When I bought my F-250, I got an extended cab, which was the right choice for me. There have been times I wish I would have gotten the crew-cab for even more lockable storage space. I won't have a standard cab ever again.

I had a shell on the S-10; but it finally fell apart, and good riddance since it severely limited what I could put back there. I'll never have a shell on a pickup again. One may as well buy a van instead.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #59  
My Frontier has the extended cab with half doors that open suicide fashion and two little drop seats for kids. The space is easy to access and good for weather proof lockable storage but with me spending long work days in the road it is mostly a big litter bin I don't clean out often enough. That gives me a six foot bed with no tool box in it that will carry plywood sheets etc. with the tailgate down. In other words useful. I think these big honking trucks with crew cab and a little four foot remainder bed look and are stupid.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #60  
My Frontier has the extended cab with half doors that open suicide fashion and two little drop seats for kids. The space is easy to access and good for weather proof lockable storage but with me spending long work days in the road it is mostly a big litter bin I don't clean out often enough. That gives me a six foot bed with no tool box in it that will carry plywood sheets etc. with the tailgate down. In other words useful. I think these big honking trucks with crew cab and a little four foot remainder bed look and are stupid.

this makes me smile. when I was looking at the Frontier, I also looked at the Ford p/u built on the Explorer chassis, with the four foot bed. I came to the conclusion that I needed more bed space, and that model Ford made no sense to me. Very comfortable though, which I guess was the whole point.

I bought the King Cab vs. Crew to get that space behind the seat, which is hugely useful and still allows a larger bed.

I pilot my Suburban. I drove my Frontier often with a grin on my face. it really was fun to drive, not ponderous in the curves, and
very responsive. So if "fun to drive" is any kind of consideration, I'd get a smaller truck. Until now the Chevy and Ford offerings in this size were
horribly antiquated. I always liked the small Ford P/U, thought it was good looking, a proper smaller truck, but one of my closest friends has one and
it isn't in the same league, or universe, as the Nissan or Toyota. The GM p/u was awful, you sat on the floor, the seat wasn't adjustable, and the whole inside looked
like a sixties vinyl taxicab interior. I don't care if it came with a V8, which I wanted, the truck was awful. I didn't even drive it, I couldn't get past the interior. The Dodge compact
p/u hasn't been much better. These auto makers make so much money on the full size p/u's, maybe they don't want their earnings eroded by selling smaller, lower margin trucks.

Soon....GM, and maybe Ford, will bring in their "new" compact trucks, with a small diesel option. That should let them regain market share and I'm rooting for them.