Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #1  

JD3203

Tractor
2007 John Deere 3203, 2001 john deere l118 garden tractor. 30+ peices of John Deere construction equipment
Hey guys, i know i am fairly new to TBN, but i am looking for a truck to cruise into town in. I have a 2001 F-350 PSD to tow my trailers and stuff, and i need something better on gas than my F-350. I really like the Toyota Tacoma 4.0 V6,6 speed 4x4, but i was looking on the web and it seems I can get a Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 6 speed 4x4 for significantly cheaper. Any thoughts on why the frontier is cheaper? And please no brand bashing! Thanks. I am looking at used with 60,000+ miles

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #2  
Probably can't go wrong with either, but there is a range of years where the Frontiers were considered unbreakable.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #3  
I would go for the Nissan. I don't know about getting better mileage than your F350. I know a guy who traded in his 1998 F150 for a Frontier and found out the Old Ford was better on gas than the new Frontier.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #4  
I had a Datsun in 1979 and it disappeared slowly due to rust in the salty Ohio winter. Three years later! The Nissan frontier I have now is a 1997 and sports a rusty bed and front fenders. Both had a nationally known rustproofing.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma
I will be buying 2005 and up.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #6  
I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier 4x4 and I love it. I have a 6 speed manual with the 4.0L V6 and I get a little better than 19 mpg on daily driving. All interstate is just shy of 22. Also, it's a great puller for its size. Rated at 6500lbs, it barely sweats with my single axle 5x10 loaded to the gills with mulch. I also towed a 2k+ trailer from NC to PA to pick up a tractor. Loaded, I was at 6750 for the trip back. Didn't get out of 5th too often, but it handled the load just fine. Needless to say, I would highly recommend the Nissan.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #7  
Both are good but like mentioned its tough to make the math work. I bought a Saturn that got 30mpg plus to save miles on my F350, F150, & Nissan Titan.

Insurance, plates, upkeep, ect made it so it was a wash and the only benefit was it keep miles off my truck. Never saved a dollar.

Chris

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #8  
Tough to go wrong with either one but I find a full size half-ton truck will get the same fuel mileage, be more comfortable, nearly the same price and be much more capable.

If you really want a mid-sized truck, here's a good shootout:
2012 Midsize Shootout: Results - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
Spoiler alert: Tacoma 1st, Frontier a very close 2nd.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #9  
Any thoughts on why the frontier is cheaper? And please no brand bashing! Thanks. I am looking at used with 60,000+ miles

The aftermarket is friendlier to the Tacoma. The Toyota is better established in the American outback. The Tacoma is aggressively supported by the TRD program.

/ Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma #10  
Drove a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab with the TRD Sport package 4.0 v-6 and 3.73 gears for about a year. Overall a decent truck. Averaged 17 to 18 mpg with it. Seats were comfortable around town but horrible on long trips. That is my one and only real complaint on the truck. My 01 350's seats are for sure more comfortable.

For what its worth I also have a 07 F-150 extended cab with a 5.4 and 3.73 gears. Average 16 to 17 mpg with it and it is far more comfortable and capable than the Toyota. The newer F-150's get better mpg than I am getting as well.

Two more points of reference. I also at one time owned a 98 s-10 ZR2 4.3 v6 with 3.73's and an extended cab. Got 17.5 to 18 mpg out of that. Had a 99 chevy extended cab as well. 5.3 v-8 3.73 gears, got 16 to 17 mpg with that truck as well.

For me anyway Ill take the 1 mpg loss to have a more powerful and capable full size truck.