Things that I don't need on my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things that I don't need on my truck #191  
You Ecoboost fans are the ones making a big deal out of Torque below 2000 RPMs! And now you say What's the big deal? Hilarious!

Dyno's don't care about gearing?
I think your confused what a dyno is...
Here, read up: http://www.hotrod.com/techfaq/hrdp_0405_chassis_dyno_guide/viewall.html
There's a reason for that 1.00:1 gear for dyno pulls and why rear axle ratio is needed to calculate.

You don't need those things and that's your opinion. Now is anyone gonna come on here and say

I won't, I don't think we need Start/Stop technology either but we will find great efficiencies in combining Direct Injected Atkinson Stlye engines along with a Multi Displacement System for light loads.

I did not see where it said they need to know the final drive ratio for to dyno. If the torque numbers change with gear ratio why don't they give us a dyno chart for each gear and different axle ratios?

I don't care who uses start stop. I think it going to be hard on batteries and starters.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #192  
I hate getting sucked into these useless rants but what does it matter if the transmission lets the engine rev up higher to compensate for less low end torque? I could be wrong but isn't what happens at the wheels all that really matters?

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #193  
I read somewhere but I can't phind it that the 5.0 had the highest stall speed convertor out of the PH-150's. I belive it was 2700RPM and the Ecoboost was 2200RPM.
I don't buy this for one second. Read the article from pickuptrucks.com about the dyno.
While dyno'ing the Ecoboost:
There was also the delicate balancing act of trying to keep the torque converter from slipping at low rpm under heavy load
With the 5.0l:
The 5.0 required significantly less time and effort to "hook up" on the dyno.
Three runs were conducted within an hour of completing EcoBoost testing.

what does it matter if the transmission lets the engine rev up higher to compensate for less low end torque? I could be wrong but isn't what happens at the wheels all that really matters?
Yes what happens at the wheels is what matters as that's what gets you moving. The point is why pay a premium for an engine that needs all this electronic crap made to slip and make up for a lack of low end grunt when a decade old simple V8 can get it done without that unnecessary drivetrain and still return very similar or better results.

These guys are constantly throwing Ecoboost stats in your face about diesel-like torque and it's far from the truth. Diesels are turbo charged, they don't need a slipping drivetrain to make power. A good V8 even with a turbo wouldn't need it either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.