2006 Powerstroke For Sale

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #11  
If the truck looks good, I'd say that's a good deal. It leaves a bit of money on the table for repairs if needed.

I was under the impression that the 6.0 was the one to avoid, but after working with a drilling contractor that has a fleet of them, I have new respect. These trucks are beaten unmercifully on a daily basis with hundreds of thousands of miles without major issues.

Yea, many of the issues are internet lore. I have about a dozen friends/customers with them. Biggest issue I have seen or heard of is a oil cooler and a egr valve. Most of these trucks are used daily for business like farmers, a electrician, contractors, a fleet of 5 roll back wreckers, ect.

Remember, Ford outsells GM and Dodge combined 2.5 to 1 in diesel trucks so the numbers will always look off.

Chris

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #12  
Remember, Ford outsells GM and Dodge combined 2.5 to 1 in diesel trucks so the numbers will always look off.

Chris

Is that still true today or was that back in the mid 2000's?

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #13  
Is that still true today or was that back in the mid 2000's?

No, not today. Although Ford still leads its not like the hay day of 2005ish era.

In 2012 these are the numbers for HD trucks 3/4 ton and 1 ton. These are only trucks with beds. IE: pickup trucks, no cab and chassis.

Total sales:

Ford 119,338
GMC/Chevy 111,555
Dodge 77,583

Ones with diesel engines:

Ford 81,150
GMC/Chevy 57,793
Dodge 65,945

3/4 ton sales:

Ford 67,786
GMC/Chevy 83,975
Dodge 41,918

1 ton sales:

Ford 51,552
GMC/Chevy 27,580
Dodge 35,665

Pretty intresting numbers. Also a good clue on who buys what. For example in my area the guys who work blue collar trade jobs buy Fords in the HD segment. In the 1/2 tons its a toss up between Toyota and Ford. Weekend warriors buy GM products. Hot shotters buy Ford and Dodge. The trades men who do buy GM usually opt for the 6L Gas trucks, not the diesels.

Chris

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #14  
:confused2:
Yea, many of the issues are internet lore. I have about a dozen friends/customers with them. Biggest issue I have seen or heard of is a oil cooler and a egr valve. Most of these trucks are used daily for business like farmers, a electrician, contractors, a fleet of 5 roll back wreckers, ect.

Remember, Ford outsells GM and Dodge combined 2.5 to 1 in diesel trucks so the numbers will always look off.You're old buddy should be arriving any moment .Iam sure he has input on this .

Chris

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #15  
You make a $2-3K job seem ordinary. If the oil cooler goes it could destroy the block. Most of these trucks have oil cooler failure at about 80-90K miles.

Go do yourself a favor and buy a scan gauge or other monitor and see what your EOT/ECT temps are. More than 15* and you're due for an oil cooler job too. You won't be so smug after paying out $2-3K to fix Ford's screw-up.

Chris

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #16  
I remember when I sold my last 6l and breathed a big sigh of relief. I found one of the few remaining loyalists who will buy them. Took me about 6 months to sell it and I had to drop the price quite a bit. I think he was more relieved when he ran my vin and saw I had $4,200 in motor repairs and figured that at least he wouldn't have to replace the turbo, head gaskets, egr for a while, so that helped the sale go through.
I think 17k sounds too high. You could easily have to fork out 4-5k when the 6l let's go and at 130,000, you're on borrowed time. Rest of the truck is pretty solid. Get the front wheels off the ground about an inch an put a post spade under each tire. Wiggle up and down and see if it needs ball joints. Mine ate them like a kid eats Halloween candy. Take a a sample of the anti freeze and oil and get them tested. Sounds picky, but remember, it's your money.
Unless you really love the truck, I'd spend more on a different one without a 6l or a 6.4l. They are both troublesome engines. Ford set the worlds record for warranty claim lawsuits and repairs on the 6l with its customers and with international harvester. That should tell you all you need to know.

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #17  
You make a $2-3K job seem ordinary. If the oil cooler goes it could destroy the block. Most of these trucks have oil cooler failure at about 80-90K miles.

Go do yourself a favor and buy a scan gauge or other monitor and see what your EOT/ECT temps are. More than 15* and you're due for an oil cooler job too. You won't be so smug after paying out $2-3K to fix Ford's screw-up.
That's the problem. You can't tell it's done the damage until its too late. Looking back on it, when we were running 6ls it's like we should have had a laptop or some kind of diagnostic tool hooked to them to warn us.
Anyone who thinks the 6l problems are lore oughta do some reading outside of the brand loyal ford websites, like this one. Get the truth on the lawsuits and how IH and ford knew these motors were a problem. It doesn't seem like lore when you write the check knowing it reduces your hard earned savings by thousands of dollars. I didnt seem like lore when I had to put off purchases on equipment I wanted to make because of repairs to these trucks. Currently I have a 6.4l ford, which may be worse. I had it in for repairs months ago under warranty and the mechanic, who is a buddy of mine, took me aside and strongly suggested I buy the extended warranty because my rocker arms are about to let go at 60,000 miles. That's pathetic. And the 6.4l was supposed to be the answer for the 6l. It's just a different engine with a different set of expensive problems.

Here's some independent published material from Wikipedia that just scratches the surface. No sales figures, no rah rah, no bashing, just observations if you don't believe my personal experiences with the 6l and 6.4l:

"Some of the problems encountered, was the possibility of the variable geometry turbo charger to stick due to carbon deposits and/or rust buildup. This could potentially cause over boost and under boost conditions, which could lead to headgasket failure. Other problems include sticking exhaust gas recirculation valves, restricted oil coolers, which lead to leaking EGR coolers, and in turn blown headgasket.
Carbon deposits can be an issue with any engine with EGR, but had a tendency to lead to a domino effect of problems for the 6.0.
Most of the problems with the 6.0 were all caused by the domino effect. For example, Ford uses sand cast molds; the residual sand in the system would clog the oil cooler, in turn taking out the EGR cooler with it because both use coolant in their design to function properly. When the EGR cooler failed, it would pump coolant through the engine. If enough coolant entered the engine, it would stretch the head bolts allowing the head gaskets to blow. These trucks mainly got a bad reputation because of repeat failures. These repeat failures were due to improper service bulletins. When Ford first started experiencing problems with the EGR coolers, it was not standard procedure to also replace the oil cooler. This led to many repeat failures until Ford found the domino effect and implemented new standards for fixing the trucks."

Also read this link. Not real in depth, but gives you an overview.

Common 6.0L Power Stroke Problems

I like ford not taking a lot of bailout money and surviving the horrible recession we continue to muddle through. I always look at ford vehicles when I buy for business or personal use. I am not a loyalist to any brand. Instead, I recognize that certain vehicles of any brand were less reliable than others. GM's early diesels were not good engines. They weren't so much unreliable as they were a disappointment. Ford raised the bar with the 7.3l when it came out. GM responded with the duramax and Allison transmission which raised the bar again. Ford responded with the 6l which was a disappointment and really didn't make a good power curve down low, either. Now GM has the edge in reliability over the last 10 years. Now ford has a new diesel. It will take time to tell if its a winner.
I have run both brands of diesels side by side since the mid 90's and I can tell you I've written way more checks to ford than GM for power train and overall repairs.
There was a guy who used to hang out here on this forum with thousands of posts. Can't remember name, but I remember him once saying something like " if you just replace the head gaskets and head bolts it's a reliable engine !!!"
Why should the customer have to do that? Why doesn't ford/IH do it when the built it? Not a bash, just a question. Why didn't they clean out the casting sand? Too stupid or cheap to do it? Those are the questions that should be answered.

Last edited:
   / 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #18  
I'm looking for a one ton flat bed so I can retire my 7.3 with 290K on it. For those of us that won't buy new, Ford's 6.0 and 6.4 did a fine job of alienating a whole bunch of prospective buyers that were once loyal Ford fans. I was one for the bulk of 40-years. Too bad...there's a bunch of nice Ford flat beds out there for sale at good prices.

The LBZ Duramax with an Allison looks like a good choice for me, but Cummins isn't out of the running yet. I didn't base my decision NOT to go with Ford on internet rumors. I have friends and customers that have had nothing but problems with both engines.

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #19  
No, not today. Although Ford still leads its not like the hay day of 2005ish era.

In 2012 these are the numbers for HD trucks 3/4 ton and 1 ton. These are only trucks with beds. IE: pickup trucks, no cab and chassis.

Total sales:

Ford 119,338
GMC/Chevy 111,555
Dodge 77,583

Ones with diesel engines:

Ford 81,150
GMC/Chevy 57,793
Dodge 65,945

3/4 ton sales:

Ford 67,786
GMC/Chevy 83,975
Dodge 41,918

1 ton sales:

Ford 51,552
GMC/Chevy 27,580
Dodge 35,665

Pretty intresting numbers. Also a good clue on who buys what. For example in my area the guys who work blue collar trade jobs buy Fords in the HD segment. In the 1/2 tons its a toss up between Toyota and Ford. Weekend warriors buy GM products. Hot shotters buy Ford and Dodge. The trades men who do buy GM usually opt for the 6L Gas trucks, not the diesels.

Chris

Mahindra probably sells more tractors than case/IH, but I'm not planning on buying a mahindra tractor for hay farming anytime soon. Lol

You know, statistics are a weekend warrior's and internet truck warriors game. Once you get out and use trucks for their true intended use day after day, you gain valuable experience in what works and what doesn't work......What reliability means when you gotta be at the fields or on the job site at 6 am or if your truck is in the shop or its no big deal because you don't really need a truck anyway.

/ 2006 Powerstroke For Sale #20  
Good post Hay Dude. Very accurate.