Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #31  
The worst overload situations I have seen on the road were a Bronco II towing a Bobcat, a 4Runner towing a Bobcat on a tandem axle snowmobile trailer and an early 90s Grand Caravan towing a Bobcat 763 on a homemade trailer.
If people had some common sense, these rental rules wouldn't be needed.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #32  
3.5L EcoBoost V6 3.73 16900 - - - 11300

Ok thanks for posting GCVW. so take the vehicles weight off your 11 thousand pounds then. that would be you towing capacity. I haul heavy equipment and sometimes with my diesel. I know what loads feel like under load. Couldn't imagine what a 13,000 pound load would feel like pulling an incline with a turbo v6. It would fall on its face

I believe the bold number is the GCVW, and the 11,300 is probably the actual tow rating. It seems very optimistic and I am no way advocating it, as I have towed that with a 3/4 and I think it was pushing the limits of comfort. That is also beyond any class reciever hitch I have ever seen on a 1/2 ton.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #33  
I believe the bold number is the GCVW, and the 11,300 is probably the actual tow rating. It seems very optimistic and I am no way advocating it, as I have towed that with a 3/4 and I think it was pushing the limits of comfort. That is also beyond any class reciever hitch I have ever seen on a 1/2 ton.

I hear you on that. but I can tell you from experience that 650 foot pounds of torque out of a cummins and pulling only 5 tons, makes the engine work on any time of situation. Plus the 9and half inch rear and heavy duty springs. Imagine the disaster waiting to happen on a f150 with 6 cylinder. There is no way that truck is gonnna make it out of the hole on a grade with 11,000 pounds. Plus the a.s.s end of the truck will be sagging even with proper load displacement. very unstable and unsafe,

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #34  
another dp. computer messed up

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #35  
Half tons are far from what they used to be. Their better then 3/4 tons from just a few years ago. Most half tons are rated at over 10k these days. They have the larger brakes, lower rear end gearing, same engine, HD axles, HD cooling, etc...

I wouldn't have a problem putting up to 10k behind a new 1/2 ton depending on the load. Towing a small Bobcat or load of gravel weighing 10k including the trailer is MUCH easier than towing a 30ft 8k lb enclosed trailer or camper. Aerodynamic drag plays a huge factor.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #36  
Im pretty sure that is max gross weight with vehicle weight. I hardly doubt that they list an f150 for pulling 13000 pounds. That is diesel dually territory buddy. You put 13,000 pounds on a f150, its gonna be sitting at the bottom of a hill with no power to go more than 5 mph and its gonna have you facing hefty fines

Yes, the most a late model F150 can tow is a 3.73 gear Eco Boost and its limit is 11,300#.

Chris

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #37  
Ok thanks for posting GCVW. so take the vehicles weight off your 11 thousand pounds then. that would be you towing capacity. I haul heavy equipment and sometimes with my diesel. I know what loads feel like under load. Couldn't imagine what a 13,000 pound load would feel like pulling an incline with a turbo v6. It would fall on its face

You have not driven one obviously. That Eco Boost has more powe than my old 96 GMC 454 3500 and about as much as my 99 F350 Power Stroke.

The 2012 F150 my father has is more truck then 3/4 ton trucks I had just 10 years ago and will flat out pull and stop them.

Lots have changed.

By the way I have a 06 F350 Power Stroke 4x4. I pull my 15,600# trailer about 40 weeks a year and strap on 25,000# a few times. We pull a 7% 8 mile grade each and every time. No complaints from it or the F150.

Chris

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #38  
I work as a mechanic for a large construction equipment dealership that also rents equipment, we have no such policy but we also do not rent trucks or trailers.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing.
Interesting posts... seems the company just drew a line in the sand and that's the story.

I agree... capacity and towing of the newer F150 can be much higher than 3/4 ton trucks from not all that long ago.

In the 80's... I would tow #5000lb cement trailers all day with my 1972 Valiant and it had a slant 6 from the same yard... some jobs would be as much as 12 yards and that plymouth kept going and I still have it today... 30 years later... the cement trailers had surge brakes and my cement projects were with 2 miles of the yard on city streets...

The yard did make one change... they started padlocking the safety chain to the tow vehicle because one got loose and their was alot of damage done as it rolled into a house.

Looks like the policy isn't just in my area...

I guess I could just change the 1500 emblems on the side of my truck and be good to go... just kidding!

The yard will deliver local for $50 each way also. It kind of makes a ditch witch rental expensive when I work a block from the yard...

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #40  
You have not driven one obviously. That Eco Boost has more powe than my old 96 GMC 454 3500 and about as much as my 99 F350 Power Stroke.
The 2012 F150 my father has is more truck then 3/4 ton trucks I had just 10 years ago and will flat out pull and stop them.

Have they upped the brakes in the F150 line as well? I have not studied them or the Eco Boost 3.5. Is the Eco 3.5 built as heavy duty as it should for truck use? I sure am hearing lots of good things about these. I like the looks of the Atlas concept I see on their website, I hope they build it.

http://social.ford.com/our-articles...-build-this-truck/?fmccmp=pro-truck-atlas-rvl