Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #51  
The tow restrictions are to protect the public as much as anything. I have seen trailers manhandle cars that never should have been towing and cause huge accidents. The last one was on a mountain pass and the whole car/trailer jackknifed and was going sideways down 3 lanes until it rolled and separated with debris going everywhere. Miraculously I missed every bit of it, but not everyone did. It is one thing for a driver fatality when someone does something as thoughtless as this, it is another thing when they cause fatalities and injuries of other innocent travelers.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #52  
Yes, it is really hard to even call them a 1/2 ton anymore. Even the old '64 F100 I used back in the early 80's consistently handled A LOT more than 1/2 ton in the bed, even though it had had the tar beat out of it for almost 20 years before my Dad got it.

The "ton's" are a nomenclature that should be dropped or changed to reflect now, not the 1920's or whenever a 1/2 ton really was.

Half tons are far from what they used to be. Their better then 3/4 tons from just a few years ago. Most half tons are rated at over 10k these days. They have the larger brakes, lower rear end gearing, same engine, HD axles, HD cooling, etc...

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #53  
<snip>

The "ton's" are a nomenclature that should be dropped or changed to reflect now, not the 1920's or whenever a 1/2 ton really was.
Yes, my "1 ton" has a 2 ton payload capacity and the new duallies have a 3 ton payload capacity!

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #54  
Yes, my "1 ton" has a 2 ton payload capacity and the new duallies have a 3 ton payload capacity!

Ya, I am right there with you. My 06 F350 srw 4x4 Power Stroke has 11,500# GVWR. It weighs 7,600# That leaves me 3,900# payload.

I weigh all my vehicles with me in them, 2/3 tank fuel, and my normal stuff that lives in each vehicle.

Chris

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing.
The tow restrictions are to protect the public as much as anything. I have seen trailers manhandle cars that never should have been towing and cause huge accidents. The last one was on a mountain pass and the whole car/trailer jackknifed and was going sideways down 3 lanes until it rolled and separated with debris going everywhere. Miraculously I missed every bit of it, but not everyone did. It is one thing for a driver fatality when someone does something as thoughtless as this, it is another thing when they cause fatalities and injuries of other innocent travelers.

Maybe restrictions? Like no freeway driving or 45 mph like the U-Haul folks do.

In my case... just 25 and 30 mph city surface street between yard and home...

Off topic... two weeks ago I let my neighbor use my 12,000 axle flatbed trailer to pick up a 5,000 gallon poly tank.

We turned it on it's side and rolled it right up the swing ramps, secured it and took it home... had to avoid underpasses because the top of the load was close to 14 feet about the road... he tows for his business and every 3 years a new vehicle... now he has a 2012 3/4 Suburban which I can borrow anytime... just hate asking to borrow anything... let alone a new 65k vehicle.

PS... my 1930 Model A pickup is nominally a 1/4 ton truck... I have used it to pick up as much as 800 pound of dry concrete in 80 pound sacks...

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #56  
I have worked in the construction equipment rental industry for almost 20 years now. The major company I previously worked for rented dump trailers, skid steers, tow behind manlifts, tow behind air compressors and generators etc.
In about the past 5+ years it became mandatory for us the look at the vehicle that was picking up the equipment and check its towable weight rating to see if it was rated to tow what they wanted to rent, and also to look at the hitch to see if it was satisfactory. I cant tell you how many people I turned down who came in to rent a 8k # skid steer and a 1500# trailer and put it on a ball mounted on their bumper. No reciever hitch , just on the bumper.

Previously we would have guys come in in little toyota pick ups and want to tow a air compressor that weighed more than the truck. Sure they could tow it, but they couldnt stop it... IIRC from the DOT anything that weighs under 6K is not required to have brakes on it.

its all due to liability from lawsuits of renters, or people they hurt in accidents from wrecks suing the rental company because "they" the rental co, "let someone" tow something that they shouldnt have.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #57  
In Illinois, trailer over 3000 required to have trailer brakes. Or let me rephrase that, Trailers licensed over 3000 require trailer brakes. Trailers 3001-5000 brakes on one axle. 5001 and up brakes on all axles. The problem is there are a lot of 7000 tandem axle utilities running around with 3000 lbs plates. I tow a 14 ft 7000 lbs rated trailer with 8000 lbs plates, and brakes on both axles, and have to have it DOT inspected every 6 months. If the plates were 8001, the truck would also have to have DOT inspection.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #58  
I have worked in the construction equipment rental industry for almost 20 years now. The major company I previously worked for rented dump trailers, skid steers, tow behind manlifts, tow behind air compressors and generators etc.
In about the past 5+ years it became mandatory for us the look at the vehicle that was picking up the equipment and check its towable weight rating to see if it was rated to tow what they wanted to rent, and also to look at the hitch to see if it was satisfactory. I cant tell you how many people I turned down who came in to rent a 8k # skid steer and a 1500# trailer and put it on a ball mounted on their bumper. No reciever hitch , just on the bumper.

Previously we would have guys come in in little toyota pick ups and want to tow a air compressor that weighed more than the truck. Sure they could tow it, but they couldnt stop it... IIRC from the DOT anything that weighs under 6K is not required to have brakes on it.

its all due to liability from lawsuits of renters, or people they hurt in accidents from wrecks suing the rental company because "they" the rental co, "let someone" tow something that they shouldnt have.

I agree with everything you mentioned but comparing the weight to the tow vehicle. My f150 can legally tow slightly more than double its weight. It weighs 5600 lbs and rated to tow 11,300 lbs.

Last edited:
   / Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #59  
I hear you on that. but I can tell you from experience that 650 foot pounds of torque out of a cummins and pulling only 5 tons, makes the engine work on any time of situation. Plus the 9and half inch rear and heavy duty springs. Imagine the disaster waiting to happen on a f150 with 6 cylinder. There is no way that truck is gonnna make it out of the hole on a grade with 11,000 pounds. Plus the a.s.s end of the truck will be sagging even with proper load displacement. very unstable and unsafe,
agree- and the 3/4 one ton dodge Cummins base weight is somewhere north of 7200 lbs. that weight is in things like heavy duty frame, brakes, suspension axles oh and of course the engine... same is true for the other 3/4 and one ton manufacturers, kind of wonder about (slightly optimistic towing ratings, to gain market share on these half ton trucks??)
I remember when the 03 3500 Dodge Cummins was released- Dodge was very proud of the fact that the durability testing consisted of working the truck at 95 percent of its ratings for 100,000 miles wonder how the test on the above listed 1/2 ton would do ? seems that v6 would get the work out of a lifetime?? Or is it tested like that? All come with load rated E tires from the factory? And one more question do these new 1/2 tons have full floater rear axles?? because if they don't, it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to understand what can happen when pulling a trailer at these max ratings, and have an issue with a flanged axle...

Last edited:
   / Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #60  
I agree with everything you mentioned but comparing the weight to the tow vehicle. My f150 can legally tow slightly double its weight. It weighs 5600 lbs and rated to tow 11,300 lbs.

Yes, and most 1 ton Diesels are about 8K but now days are rated for 3 times that.

Same holds true for a semi. The tractor is usually around 18K while the trailer is pushing 60K plus.

Chris