Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #11  
Multi displacement. Like GM's active fuel management system or Honda's variable cylinder management.

The Hemi runs on 4 cylinders in light load conditions.

Anyone have any experience with the Hemi MDS? I test drove on in 2011 and had a hard time keeping the eco light on above 55 mph with just me in it. Any wind or slight incline would turn it off. I wonder if that system has been tweeked for the new transmission.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #12  
I am a fan of both Dodge and Ford. I have had both, albeit older models.

My take on all this, is it is dad-gummed 2013 already! "cars" have been around for 120 years. 15 city / 21 hwy / 17 combined just sucks! Come on manufacturers...!

"Eco" boost? Double the mileage to make an "eco" impact

And Hemi? Hemi used to be a special motor. Now it is just a run of the mill motor(albeit decent one) with a name one it.

Half-Tons Gain Power, Mileage - PickupTrucks.com News
Fuel Economy of 2013 Ram 1500 4WD

I said it months ago! The 8-speed HEMI would match or beat the Ecoboost fuel mileage and power while keeping it simple. No turbos, no direct injection, no hybrid batteries, etc...

EPA Ratings:
RAM 1500 4x4 HEMI (395hp/410lb.ft) 8-speed - 15 city / 21 hwy / 17 combined
F150 4x4 Ecoboost (365hp/420lb.ft) 6-speed - 15 city / 21 hwy / 17 combined

RAM 1500 4x2 HEMI (395hp/410lb.ft) 8-speed - yet to be released, will it top the Ford?
F150 4x2 Ecoboost (365hp/420lb.ft) 6-speed - 16 city / 22 hwy / 18 combined

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #13  
I just bought the wife a new HEMI,and very happy with the fuel mileage she is getting 420miles to a tank(that's not all the way down to fuel light). I like the power that is right there when you need it. cassies%20truck.jpg

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #14  
Anyone have any experience with the Hemi MDS? I test drove on in 2011 and had a hard time keeping the eco light on above 55 mph with just me in it. Any wind or slight incline would turn it off. I wonder if that system has been tweeked for the new transmission.

None with the Dodge but the few GM's I drove with it gave me the same results.

I talked to a Ford Engineer at the Detroit Auto Show and asked him why Ford did not have it. He told me they tested it and had the same issues as other manufacturers. Oil consumption was also mentioned.

Chris

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.
I was hoping it would offset the 5% price difference in midgrade fuel vs. regular.
Anxious to see how it improves 0-60 times towing. It might now be close to the ecoboost.
It does offset the price, no turbos to replace (your kidding yourself if you think the turbos will outlast the engine), no expensive direct injectors to replace, and no engine shudder/limp mode problems (google it, it's widespread enough that Ford's working on a TSB).
Also cheaper premium up front (around $3000 simarly equipped). That buys a lot of mid-grade octane which is about 3% or $0.10 more around here).

But it takes mid grade fuel, and several years newer tech, and an 8 speed, and grill shutters, etc, etc, to still come in below the V6 in Tq. Also, the EPA is retesting the Ram 2wd because it isn't getting the MPGs Ram suggested. I would still count it as a tie with the Ecoboost, for now. But the Ecoboost is in it's third year in F150's, and there are all sorts of rumors about an improved Ecoboost and an imrpoved 5.0L engine from Ford, waitng in the shadows for Ram and GM to catch up.
Several years newer tech?
Like the Ford isn't full of "newer tech" like electronic power steering, direct injection, active torque converter (probably the reason they still only offer a 60k mile powertrain warranty vs RAM's 100k mile), Twin-independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT), etc...?
Where's your source that the 2wd came in lower than RAM's claim?
The article hints that the EPA is most likely playing caution since they've been burned lately with new tech vehicles and rating them higher than customers saw. I still have doubts it will reach RAM's goal of 25 mpg but bet it will match the Ecoboost at 23 mpg.

Also it may come in a whopping 10 lb.ft below the Ecoboost in TQ, but it makes 30 more HP which is more significant than 10lb.ft.

Just wait until the V6 3.0l diesel comes out with 300hp/420lb.ft and 25+ mpg.
My take on all this, is it is dad-gummed 2013 already! "cars" have been around for 120 years. 15 city / 21 hwy / 17 combined just sucks! Come on manufacturers...!
I agree we should be furthur ahead by now but keep in mind we also have base V6's pushing 300hp and towing over 5k. Trucks today are still a great advancement over trucks over yesterday.

Last edited:
   / Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #16  
It does offset the price, no turbos to replace (your kidding yourself if you think the turbos will outlast the engine), no expensive direct injectors to replace, and no engine shudder/limp mode problems (google it, it's widespread enough that Ford's working on a TSB).
Also cheaper premium up front (around $3000 simarly equipped). That buys a lot of mid-grade octane which is about 3% or $0.10 more around here).

Several years newer tech?
Like the Ford isn't full of "newer tech" like electronic power steering, direct injection, active torque converter (probably the reason they still only offer a 60k mile powertrain warranty vs RAM's 100k mile), Twin-independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT), etc...?
Where's your source that the 2wd came in lower than RAM's claim?
The article hints that the EPA is most likely playing caution since they've been burned lately with new tech vehicles and rating them higher than customers saw. I still have doubts it will reach RAM's goal of 25 mpg but bet it will match the Ecoboost at 23 mpg.

Also it may come in a whopping 10 lb.ft below the Ecoboost in TQ, but it makes 30 more HP which is more significant than 10lb.ft.

Just wait until the V6 3.0l diesel comes out with 300hp/420lb.ft and 25+ mpg.

Lets be honest about warranty. Dodge offers a longer one for one reason. It was to help poor sales. Ford has not needed to take that measure yet. Not saying it will not happen. Companies offer longer warranty periods to entice buyers. Look at what it has done for Kia and Hyundai.

As far as a warrant goes read the fine print. My favorite Dmax owner was denied a warrant claim on a LBZ for its injectors. $6000 repair on a truck with just over 60,000 miles because they are not covered under the 100,000 powertrain because the injectors are considered part of the emissions system which is Not Covered. He was out of the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper.

All that waranty basically covers is hard parts.

A warranty is nice but can be about worthless also.

Chris

Last edited:
Lets be honest about warranty. Dodge offers a longer one for one reason. It was to help poor sales.
Why does it matter why there's a longer warranty? If a new RAM has drivetrain issues at 75k miles, it gets fixed. If a new Ford has the same problem, it doesn't...
I'm sure the reason would be different if the tables were turned.

None with the Dodge but the few GM's I drove with it gave me the same results.
There have been plenty of issues with GM's system causing oil consumption but the RAM system has been in production for 7 years now with no problems. I find on our trucks that using cruise control makes keeping it in 4-cyl mode difficult but shut off the cruise control and it's easy. Kind of nice to have a light to train you to be a better driver, took me a while that's for sure.

/ Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage. #19  
Why does it matter why there's a longer warranty? If a new RAM has drivetrain issues at 75k miles, it gets fixed. If a new Ford has the same problem, it doesn't...
I'm sure the reason would be different if the tables were turned.

Warranty just is not that important to people as you may think. If that was the only factor Ford would not sell a single unit with Dodge and GM having longer. Its never factored in to any of my decisions buying any brand, including Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, Dodge, Nissan, BMW, ect. Reputation and capability is more important to me.

Chris

Warranty just is not that important to people as you may think. If that was the only factor Ford would not sell a single unit with Dodge and GM having longer. Its never factored in to any of my decisions buying any brand, including Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, Dodge, Nissan, BMW, ect. Reputation and capability is more important to me.

Chris
And it's more important to people than you think, for many it shows a companies confidence in it's product. Lower warranty = less confidence.

Also, advertising is 90% of a buyers decision and THAT is the major reason for sales numbers. It's certainly not reputation unless you look for the company with the worse engine reliability in the business...