Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4600

Default Re: Ram HEMI 8 speed 4x4 rated same as Ecoboost 4x4 EPA fuel mileage.

I have used diesel 3/4 and 1 ton pick ups and flatbeds for the last 30 years. I started with a83 f250 6.9. And have had many different trucks thru the years. 2006 I bought the famous 6.0 power stroke had good luck with it right up to warranty run out. Then the failures started lining up. That's when I patched it up, traded it in for a 2012 f250 fx4 6.2 w 6sp. I love that truck. It gets about 9-12 mpg. But gas is cheaper than diesel. My wife has a 2011 f150 fx4 cc 6 sp 3.73. Very nice truck, she calls it her sports car. She will average about 16 mpg. This truck is coming up on 65k and is starting some quirky stuff that sounds expensive. But I have to admit, the same work trailer loaded with tools and materials pulls easier with the ecoboost engine than the 3/4ton 6.2. And her mileage is less, about 8mpg. I'm thinking about driving the 65 dodge w300, or the 77 f250 4x4, I can actually do some major repairs on these trucks without trouble from the warranty department.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by ptgdigger View Post
    I only have one thought , if Dodge is all that and a cup of coffee where are all the blue collar Dodge trucks ? I work with municipalities and in my work I see a lot of trucks from a lot of towns and townships , water companies ,sewer companies, electric companies and a lot of private contractors. I have yet to see one fleet with a showing of Dodge trucks anywhere I have been in the Northeast, yes there are one or two pickups here or there but no T plates ,no utility bodies, no plow & spreader rigs, no small sweepers and no ambulances. In the small working truck line Ford is kicking butt and Chevy manages to stay close enough to take a swat at them and win over a few fleets but Dodge is non existent. Actually the Dodge pickups I have seen are Dakotas so they probably filled a niche for a mid-size truck.

Honest observation and my last 3 personal trucks were Chevys.
    Ray
    It's all in what your actually looking for. Many large companies up here are using RAM trucks as well. Unitil has tons of RAM 2500 HEMI trucks running around along with 4500 service body RAM's.
    My company decided to go with F-450/F-550 for new service bodies and boom trucks but it was all down to availability and fleet programs. RAM just doesn't have a very good fleet program. Nothing to do with the truck itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford850 View Post
    Really it comes down to value and reliability. Low initial cost and low maintenance cost, while staying on the road and out of the shop.
    I WISH our Ford trucks could stay out of the shop!
    The new trucks for this year are all coming with the GAS 6.2l because we were burnt too much by failed Powerstroke diesels. I noticed Fairpoint (large telephone company) is also purchasing more gas powered Ford's vs. diesel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Around here it's price and availability of service.
    Exactly, Price and Availability. RAM just doesn't have a good dealer network up here yet plus most fleet vehicle have to go to a "fleet service" dealership for repairs. We only have 3 RAM fleet dealers up here and about 10 times as many Ford fleet dealers. Granted our old RAM's don't go to the dealer often, the bean counters make the decisions in our company...
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by pmaintman View Post
    Dmace, Sorry to burst your bubble,but the hemi`s are blowing timing chains left and right! They haven`t figured out the problem yet but you can guarantee it has something to do with the mds system which is part of the timing chain! Check out chargerforumz.com
    I've seen this problem and it still appears to be limited to the 2009-2011 HEMI and ONLY in the Challenger. This is not the same engine in the RAM trucks, just look at the size difference in the chains. If I owned one of these cars, I would certainly keep on the look out for it but it hardly warrants the "blowing timing chains left and right" claim. Going from 4-cyl mode to 8-cyl mode certainly can add a lot of stress to the chain with such instant torque but anyone constantly driving around in 4-cyl mode then flooring all the time it will certainly lead to problems. If your going to race the car, shut-off the MDS...
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

These are just my thoughts and observations on Dodge trucks and why they are not seen around here in "work" or fleet applications. Granted some of this is limited to my little corner of the world. Around here there are no Dodge rescue vehicles, this would include ambulance and other trucks of the 3/4 and 1 ton type. I see very few farm trucks, and no cattle haulers, tow trucks, plow trucks (private) and only know of 1 village truck that I'm friends with the supervisor. That truck they had for 3 years and got rid of it because of all the problems with the truck. This truck was used mainly for running for parts and plowing. Plowing seemed to tear up the transmission, but they also had motor issues. They have now gone back to Ford which was what they had for at least 20 years before that. Ford seems to be #1 with Chevy a close 2nd around here with trucks that are government and/or private heavy work trucks. I do see a lot of the owned by young guys who either want the Cummins or the Hemi and use them as a hot rod. yet I see a lot of Ford and Chevy diesels used the same way. I also see some Dodges used for towing campers and other areas.

Now for those that think I'm just bashing. What is this thread about? A dodge with a ZF transmission, not a dodge transmission. With the heavy trucks Dodge has also switched to Aisin. So it would seem they haven't got confidence in themselves to produce a reliable transmission. IMO that is why I don't see very many dodges in the heavy applications.

Now our county does use a lot of Chrysler products. These would be cars and minivans used for SS and other county run programs that employees need a vehicle.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by JasG View Post
    Now for those that think I'm just bashing. What is this thread about? A dodge with a ZF transmission, not a dodge transmission. With the heavy trucks Dodge has also switched to Aisin. So it would seem they haven't got confidence in themselves to produce a reliable transmission. IMO that is why I don't see very many dodges in the heavy applications.
    If you think ANY manufacturer actually produces every part in their vehicle in-house then I've got ocean front property in Wyoming to still you...
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    If you think ANY manufacturer actually produces every part in their vehicle in-house then I've got ocean front property in Wyoming to still you...
    Where did I even imply that anyone did?

Seeing how Ford was using ZF manuals, Navistar engines, and Dana axles or Dodge using Cummins engines.

All I can say is well .....Duh.

I was just giving what I made very clear was my opinion as to why Dodge truck don't seem to be used in government fleets and other heavy applications. I was able to back that up with a few facts and you seem to take it personally.

Once again blinded by what seems to be hate for Ford you missed the point of the post. For years Dodge was using there own product, and now they aren't. You can't attack the facts, so you try and mislead about the point of the post.
    “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Reagan

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Seeing how Ford was using ZF manuals, Navistar engines, and Dana axles or Dodge using Cummins engines.

All I can say is well .....Duh.

I was just giving what I made very clear was my opinion as to why Dodge truck don't seem to be used in government fleets and other heavy applications. I was able to back that up with a few facts and you seem to take it personally.
    So then if the reason Dodge trucks are not as big in fleet sales as Ford is because they don't make their own transmissions then why did those fleet buyers buy Ford's with Navistar engines and ZF transmissions?
    Your "facts" and logic make no sense at all!
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    So then if the reason Dodge trucks are not as big in fleet sales as Ford is because they don't make their own transmissions then why did those fleet buyers buy Ford's with Navistar engines and ZF transmissions?
    Your "facts" and logic make no sense at all!
    Once again putting words that don't exist in some ones post.

1st they were using their own product, and not making sales, they are just now switching, so tell me again who's facts don't make sense? I also listed Chevy, both Ford and Chevy are the main players around here, once again your hate for Ford seems to be showing plan as day.

I'll spell it out for you one more time. IMO Dodge trucks were never big in the sales listed because the transmission used (their own) was weak. I could care less who makes it or what. The bottom line is the result of the total package, not who makes what part of it. Now go back and re-read any of my posts and point out where I said it was because they did or did not make their own. Which until the last year or so was their transmission. If my point was that it's because they don't make their own I would site declining sales, but for sales to decline, they would have had to make sales in the 1st place. Which around here, they just don't sell any in the areas I lists.

The only thing I did was used the fact that they are using others transmissions in current product, to support my opinion that trans of the past were weak. If they made a good product themselves, why pay someone now to make it for them? Even if they didn't make it, lets say someone made it for them. if it was a good product, why switch. If it was such a great product why are they paying for the rights to make a product some other than them has designed?

Is that clear enough for you?

Ronald Reagan

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

So it would seem they haven't got confidence in themselves to produce a reliable transmission. IMO that is why I don't see very many dodges in the heavy applications.
    Now go back and re-read any of my posts and point out where I said it was because they did or did not make their own.

Is that clear enough for you?

Yes it is clear that you state Dodge is not in heavy applications because they "haven't got confidence in themselves to produce a reliable transmission."

Ford had that POS of an engine called the 6.0l Powerstroke yet fleet sales stayed high, why?
    Because of fleet price and availability, they practically give them away to companies like mine purchasing 20-30 at a time...
    It's certainly not due to reliability.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

The best thing about a Dodge truck is the Cummins engine. If they did not have that I wonder how many would be on the road.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast