Hydraulic Dump Trailer

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #1  

Leo Rabon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2000
I currently own a 5 ft by 8 ft Tilt-Bed Utility Trailer with a 1500# axle. My plans are to convert the trailer to a Hydraulic Dump Trailer. I probably will go ahead and change the axle to a 3500#. My use of the trailer will be for hauling leaves from my lot placed in the trailer by a leaf and debris loader. Only in leaf season will I have to place the plywood sides on it approximately 4 feet high (6 to 7 yard capacity) to haul to the local landfill 3 miles away. I have a lot of leaves and after 15 years of bagging and loading and unloading at the landfill, at 64 years old, I am no longer able to move so many of the bagged leaves. Using it as a tilt bed is a real pain also, since it does not tilt enough for the leaves to fall out without digging and making so much dust for my breathing problems.
I think I have most of the "plan" figured out except for the kind of "hydraulic cylinder" needed and where to purchase. I prefer to have a "hand pump" for the hydraulic cylinder since my use of the hydraulic will be limited and I don't want to have to maintain a battery and electrical components for most of the year without use. The most weight based on my calculations (for the leaves only) will not be over 1,000 pounds per load. By converting my tilt bed to a dump bed will keep me from having to store 2 trailers. My only other use of the trailer will be (as is now) transporting my mowers and other equipment for repairs and also my golf cart. Cost is an issue for me so I really can't afford to invest in another trailer and also storage of another trailer is an issue also.

Any help or suggestions on the hydraulic cylinder and hand pump would be appreciated (as well as any other suggestions). I have a cousin with a welding shop that will do the conversion for me but he doesn't have much knowledge about the hydraulics.

Thank You
Leo Rabon

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #3  
Honestly how much longer will you be able to do this work? You mentioned breathing and lifting. I would just hire it done. For what it will cost you its a losing proposition.

You will need a cylinder, pump, hoses, wood, steel, axles, hangers, springs, wheels, tires, ect.

Chris

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #4  
Honestly how much longer will you be able to do this work? You mentioned breathing and lifting. I would just hire it done. For what it will cost you its a losing proposition.

You will need a cylinder, pump, hoses, wood, steel, axles, hangers, springs, wheels, tires, ect.

Chris

I think he plans on converting his current trailer to a manually operated type lift. Maybe something like one of these pumps to operate a lift cylinder if I read him correctly:

10508HC.jpg

But still, he mentions an axle swap and other mods to the trailer. I'm wondering also if it's really worth it. I suppose it could be because he appears to have the time, the inclination and a cousin with a welding shop.

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #5  
Could you just use a long hydraulic jack like those used on engine hoists / cherry pickers. Completely self contained and simple. another option I have seen is winch and pulleys for the tilt.

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer
Thanks guys for the replies:

Hawk: Thanks for the reply. Now I know where to get the supplies.

Chris: I don't know how long I will be able to do it but I ate breakfast this morning hoping to make it to lunchtime. Just kidding, I have read many of your posts before and you are a really intelligent guy and I respect your opinions.

Todd: You hit the nail "square on the head". Thanks

Oldnslo: Thanks for your suggestion but I am not real comfortable with those option.

Thanks to all. You have been a big help.

Leo

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #7  
Thanks guys for the replies:

Hawk: Thanks for the reply. Now I know where to get the supplies.

Chris: I don't know how long I will be able to do it but I ate breakfast this morning hoping to make it to lunchtime. Just kidding, I have read many of your posts before and you are a really intelligent guy and I respect your opinions.

Todd: You hit the nail "square on the head". Thanks

Oldnslo: Thanks for your suggestion but I am not real comfortable with those option.

Thanks to all. You have been a big help.

Leo

I just think life is too short. My father is 67 and in the last few years he really laid off the yard work. He hires it all done for what seems reasonable rates. For the cost of converting your trailer a crew of two with the right equipment could do your fall cleanup for a number of years before you would break even.

Chris

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #8  
I'm 70 and still do all my own yard work myself and still enjoy it. However, it doesn't get done as fast as when I was younger. I have over the years acquired the tools I need to make my work as easy as possible.
Since your trailer is 5 x 8 and you have access to fabrication help, what about one of those roll up mat unloaders they make for pickup beds. I think that would be as inexpensive as any thing, would not crank hard since you are unloading leaves, and could be made to detach when not needed.

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer
Chris:
I retired last year and enjoy being outside. (last 43 years sitting behind a desk) While I worked, I did hire someone to do it for lack of time and it is not cheap. My leaf load is about 3000 lbs per year. I need to stay active for as long as I can. After you retire, you have more time to spend money and less money to spend. I love outdoor power equipment and get a lot of joy doing my yard. You sound just like my son. He fusses about what I do and I pay him "no attention". Thanks for the thoughts. You will get there sooner than you think.

Leo

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer
I'm 70 and still do all my own yard work myself and still enjoy it. However, it doesn't get done as fast as when I was younger. I have over the years acquired the tools I need to make my work as easy as possible.
Since your trailer is 5 x 8 and you have access to fabrication help, what about one of those roll up mat unloaders they make for pickup beds. I think that would be as inexpensive as any thing, would not crank hard since you are unloading leaves, and could be made to detach when not needed.
Texas42:
That is a possibility and I will look into that. I don't get things done as fast either and I don't care.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Leo