TPMS

/ TPMS
Or when you hit something and don't realize it.

That can save a tire. Or prevent you from being late to work by alerting you the night before of the slow leak.

Amazing how we ever made without the little buggers :rolleyes:

/ TPMS #22  
Remind me again what year they started mandating this?
I'll have to add that to my list of cars not to own "newer than this year"

this is all in response to the ford explorer issues way back when they were rolling over,
they deemed the entire vehicle unsafe, when it really all came down to low tire pressure,
so they invented the TPMS to alert drivers when pressures were low.
upon further searching, here is a wiki page about the whole lawsuit, Firestone got
brought into it also... sue big and sue all

Firestone and Ford tire controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ TPMS
That sue big and sue all. Cost us all.I know I won't own another toyota. Not because they have these sensors,but toyota is the only 1 at least in my area that can program them.These things should be an option. not a gov. mandate.I've been driving what ? 41 yrs. most of that was in vehicles without any seatbelts.Now I need a sensor to tell me when my tire is low. :rolleyes: Seatbelts ok ........ air bags,option, tpms ,option

/ TPMS #25  
I know what you're saying....but it's called progress. We've moved on from flat head Fords and mechanical brakes.

You are right. I like them. Two of my cars have traction control which is now a requirement I believe. I like that also.

Chris

/ TPMS #26  
Traction control is good on ice and slick surfaces. Going through mud with a 4wd it will get you stuck if you can't spin the tires.

/ TPMS
I know what you're saying....but it's called progress. We've moved on from flat head Fords and mechanical brakes.

Hey, Some progress is good. Some progress ot so good. I'm in the HVAC bus. Believe me I know about hope and change and progress. Some good some not so good

Ok , I found a tool to be able to program toyota TPMS...wheelrite 400...$1500.00. B-4 I pay a dealer $800.00 to replace the sensors and program I'll buy this device and program them myself from now till the end

/ TPMS #28  
If you are going to get a set of summer and winter tire/ wheels for your Toyota then you could invest in a ATEQ Quickset tool. There could be others out there but this is the only one I've read about. The tool is only needed for makes that store the sensor ID in the car's computer (Toyota does it this way). This tool will allow you to read the current ids and replace them with new ids. The sensors have a 7 or 8 digit number on them. Like I said you can buy new Toyota brand sensors off ebay for $25. The tool will cost you $150. If your dealer or local garage/ tire shop is going to charge you each time you swap wheels then the tool will pay for itself.

For the person who will only on rare occasion deal with a TPMS sensor then it's not even worth worrying about. Just like anyone who works on cars has a device to read the data from the cars computer (check engine light) anybody who deals with tires will have the tool to deal with every makes TPMS system. It's easy to break a sensor when mounting a tire. Once you do you have to be able to replace it and reset the computer.

The only other option that I know of is the sensors that allow you to enter the ID of the old sensor it's replacing. But I think you need to buy the tool that will program them. Some smaller garages may only have this type of system.

Either way I really didn't need the government picking the lowest common denominator, that person who can't be bothered to do basic checks before driving. It's like the new back up cameras that will soon be mandated. I'm sorry but all of these mandates along with extra emissions and mpg standards is pushing the price of new vehicles out of reach of too many people. In the old days we called these options and if you wanted them then you paid extra for them.

/ TPMS #29  
You guys are scaring me... wife just bought a 2010 Toyota RAV4 and it has TPMS. I have no clue how they work. My truck has no such thing and currently has a flat left rear tire... I can just look at it and tell its flat!

mark

/ TPMS #30  
Thank goodness my Journey just picks up the sensors when installed no programming req'd
I switch over from sows to summer tires with no issue and I bought sensors from Ebay for my snow tire rims
Here you have to use the rubber caps or they will corrode and snap off like someone else said they are poorly built and cant stand salt