Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Default Re: TPMS

Kenmac although I don't do tires I do see quite a few in my shop with the tire light on for one reason or another, half the time its a low spare. I agree it is a pain and an unfunded mandate to be forced to replace battery's etc at the cost of taking all 4 tires down at the same time (which is the best way) but it is a convenience for lots of folks willing to pay. Also tires are only good for 5-7 years at average mileage so I read they figured that into what batteries they put in fwtw.

With that said-All I can offer is what I read in the trade magazines and there is lots of alternatives to OE tpms sensors if it boils down to that and at this point I am not able to say one way or another based on the info they gave you? IE anyone can put all new everything in and things magically start working takes a real tech to pinpoint it accurately and this is a super simple system fwtw...

It can be as easy as a low spare to a bad sensor or bad battery's if you are being told the truth by a competent tech take his advice or not you are in business you know what being in business is like. hth
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Car doc. I have a tire maching in my shop.I installd new tires on my 07 toyota tundra.I got to reading and asking questions about these devices and was told that it's best to change them when you change tires.I was also told and read that the asian models take a special tool (different than american models).. In my area , none of the tire shops have the special tool for asian models.They send you to toyota which wants $200.00 per tire to install new sensors. They said I could purchase after market sensors and install them and they would only charge to program ,but the aftermarket sensors may not link up to their reader to be able to down load them into the ecm
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    Car doc. I have a tire maching in my shop.I installd new tires on my 07 toyota tundra.I got to reading and asking questions about these devices and was told that it's best to change them when you change tires.I was also told and read that the asian models take a special tool (different than american models).. In my area , none of the tire shops have the special tool for asian models.They send you to toyota which wants $200.00 per tire to install new sensors. They said I could purchase after market sensors and install them and they would only charge to program ,but the aftermarket sensors may not link up to their reader to be able to down load them into the ecm
    Yeah it takes a universal tpms scan tool and the dealer wont service them or recommend them. We have the same issues here with the tire shops they break more tpms sensors than they fix. I can do some research for you as to whats the best aftermarket sensor etc if interested in aftermarket? But like I said I don't do tires or else I would be invested with the tools and the knowledge. hth (I have seen aftermarket sensors for 25 bucks fwtw)

I found this quick maybe it is some help? http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eprogram-info/
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Thanks car doc. I,m a member of the site you posted. They have some good info there on alot of issues.That's where I learned about changing out my plastic oil filter housing to an aluminum housing.

I have found a site with a code reader.I have put in a call to ask if this reader will do what I need it to do . If I t will,,I'm going to purchase it
    Yanmar 3110D
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak

Tractor
    JD X585

ditto on that site, it's been great while i was diagnosing and repairing SO's older van
    and it's CEL lights and sensors etc.
    JD X585 with 45 loader, 3ph, 62C deck, 47SB, 54 blade, Soft Cab. JD F620 with 60". JD HPX gator. JD T23 trimmer
    JD CS56 and CS36 saws. JS35 WB mower.

Here's a link to another Toyota site on how to use the Ateq Quickset tool. I've read that since this was written Ateq has updated the software making it more user friendly.
    DIY TPMS Programming - Tool to Program your Own TPMS Sensors - Toyota Scion Honda - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
    The Quickset tool is just for reading and entering the unique ID number for each sensor into the ECU (Toyota's computer). The ID number is printed on each sensor. To read them you would need to remove the tire from the wheel or if the ID is currently one that's stored in the ECU the Quickset tool will show it. Ateq makes a second tool, the VT30 decoder that will read the code on each sensor. It will also tell you if the sensor is working. The Quickset too is about $150 and the VT30 is about $200. The VT30 is not needed but would come in handy.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Here's a link to another Toyota site on how to use the Ateq Quickset tool. I've read that since this was written Ateq has updated the software making it more user friendly.
    DIY TPMS Programming - Tool to Program your Own TPMS Sensors - Toyota Scion Honda - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

The Quickset tool is just for reading and entering the unique ID number for each sensor into the ECU (Toyota's computer). The ID number is printed on each sensor. To read them you would need to remove the tire from the wheel or if the ID is currently one that's stored in the ECU the Quickset tool will show it. Ateq makes a second tool, the VT30 decoder that will read the code on each sensor. It will also tell you if the sensor is working. The Quickset too is about $150 and the VT30 is about $200. The VT30 is not needed but would come in handy.

Thanks ,I have 1 on the way.I hope it works the way I need it to work. Delete old sensors and add new. I also hope it will allow me to delete an individual (bad) sensor and program a new sensor and add it to the ecm. We'll see
    Yanmar 3110D
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    I read about unplugging a wire from under the dash somewhere.I've been driving since I was 14 .I'm now 55.I think I'll be ok without this stupid system telling me if I have a low tire or not. I know how/when to check tire pressure.Been doing it for yrs
    Yeah, I've only been driving a couple of decades longer than that, have also learned the old school ways and graduated from hard knocks U.
    BUT ! (and this is why I joined this thread) TODAY a tire went down on the tandem axle trailer and the only reason I knew about it was because someone on the highway was waiving at me. Head and shoulders out the window screaming TIRE !
    Not funny with 4 horses on board and PLEASE believe this, I couldn't feel it - even on the off-ramp, even when making turns that shifted load to that side.

I figured the tire was crap anyway, so continued the 8 or 9 miles to my destination before changing it.
    I know all 10 were good 15 miles earlier.
    So I am feeling a NEED for a system like this and since I want it to cover the truck (GM) and two horse trailers it will have to be after market.

From what I have read so far I will have to use the screw on caps, can't use the "in tire" type.

Suggestions/recommendations welcomed - for ME it will be worth it for peace of mind.
    I admit to being a bit lazy about checking pressures when the temps get way down there, or even when it is just raining.
    The idea of an automatic check every time I get in the truck and all the time I'm driving just APPEALS to me.
    Heck, if I had been on a long trip today I might not have had a planned stop for another 150 miles, by which time the other tire on that side would almost certainly have overheated and blown.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I work around these tpms systems every day and I really like the idea of having them. I would really love to have direct read out systems instead of leaving the decision to an ECU and a lite on the dash though.

Although I haven't invested in the tools to repair them I can scan them and see what they see or not as in pressures etc and location of the tire on the vehicle and in some instances I can program them not many though. I agree they could/should save a lot of tires on trucks inside duals especially. I expect add on systems may be available someday but who knows?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234