Winch wiring

/ Winch wiring #1  

Tractor
John Deere/Mahindra
Newbe here. Looking for suggestions on how to power a winch on a equipment trailer (10k, 18'). Separate battery won't work as the trailer won't be used that often. Direct wiring is a little expensive. Heard a suggestion of splicing booster cables together to go from tow vehicle to winch mounted on trailer. What gauge wire will be needed? Can I ground the winch to the trailer & run one wire to + side of tow vehicle battery. Anything will be helpful.

Semper Fi

/ Winch wiring #2  
I use my jumper box. Have for 10 years and it works great.

Short of that you will have to run a heavy gauge wire the entire length of the truck, 4ga or better.

A dedicated battery and cheap solar charger will be the cheapest way in the long run, about $100.

Chris

/ Winch wiring #3  
Honestly -- a heavy gauge wire can be expensive to be run all the way to tow vehicle, esp it you gotta use it with your tractor. most on road vehicles is setup anyways with thinner wire to charge the battery to trailer and this is easy and cheap to do on a tractor as well. I really like diamond pilot suggestion too - a portable jumpeer battery to be used in a pinch but also keep a solar trickle charger on all the time.

/ Winch wiring #4  
I'm with Diamondpilot. Have done that several times with success as most pulls are short and not extremely heavy load.

/ Winch wiring
I use my jumper box. Have for 10 years and it works great.

Short of that you will have to run a heavy gauge wire the entire length of the truck, 4ga or better.

A dedicated battery and cheap solar charger will be the cheapest way in the long run, about $100.

Chris

Thanks, for the suggestions. I'd probably won't use the trailer 2-3 times a year, so that's why I was looking for a different set up than a battery. Wouldn't you have to get the jumper box charged up also?

/ Winch wiring
Kind of new at this. I think I just sent a reply to myself. Wouldn't you have to keep the jumper box charged at all times? Isn't there a battery in those? This trailer is for farm use. Getting tired of paying 200-300 when I need to move the tractor. Thanks for the suggestions.

Semper Fi

/ Winch wiring #7  
Yes, they have a battery in them. My jumper box sits in the shop for months at a time between uses. It holds charge very well and I only charge it after heavy use. I rarely use my winch too. That's why the jumper works so good.

/ Winch wiring
Thank you. Someone suggested a JNC950 I think it means a jump n carry 950. What do you have/use/recommend I consider?

/ Winch wiring
Anyone heard of a JNC950 from Jumpstarter.com? Tried the website but couldn't pull it up. Saw a Jump-n-carry 950, but not sure it's the same thing.

Semper Fi

/ Winch wiring #10  
Thanks, for the suggestions. I'd probably won't use the trailer 2-3 times a year, so that's why I was looking for a different set up than a battery. Wouldn't you have to get the jumper box charged up also?

Yea. I keep two charged up at all times. One at home and on at the shop.

Chris