Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Default Re: Trailer hitch question?

That was so long ago I don't remember a lot about it. It does look like 3/8-inch material. I think the pipe was 4-inch, sch 80.
    I don't know the weight rating, but Jack has a L3200 kubota tractor with all most 2,000-pound counterweight. When he got home he hooked up his flatbed trailer, backed his tractor on the trailer, and bounced the counterweight a dozen or so times. Then placed a straight edge on the stinger part. Looked good to him.
    No I'm not worried about liability issues at all. These are nothing compared to what I use to build.
    Sure I don't recommended everybody build a trailer hitch, and especially with a 120-volt Mig welder! When ever I build something I'm not sure about, I know lots of engineers that I just e-mail a drawing to, for their approval. Like this bridge crane I built for my shop, I designed it, but the head of the engineering department of the company I worked for approved it. Just like this gooseneck adapter I built, approved by an engineer. Like I said the welding is the easy part!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch question?-hoists-jpg   Trailer hitch question?-complete-1-jpg   Trailer hitch question?-winch-mile-marker-jpg  

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200ST.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    Vantage 400
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Curt is a great hitch. We sell and install quite a few. Best finish in the industry in my opinion.

Chris

Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

Thanks Guys!! That's the info I was looking for!

Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

[QUOTE=Shield Arc;3253604]That was so long ago I don't remember a lot about it. It does look like 3/8-inch material. I think the pipe was 4-inch, sch 80.
    I don't know the weight rating, but Jack has a L3200 kubota tractor with all most 2,000-pound counterweight. When he got home he hooked up his flatbed trailer, backed his tractor on the trailer, and bounced the counterweight a dozen or so times. Then placed a straight edge on the stinger part. Looked good to him.
    No I'm not worried about liability issues at all. These are nothing compared to what I use to build.
    Sure I don't recommended everybody build a trailer hitch, and especially with a 120-volt Mig welder! When ever I build something I'm not sure about, I know lots of engineers that I just e-mail a drawing
    to, for their approval. Like this bridge crane I built for my shop, I designed it, but the head of the engineering department of the company I worked for approved it. Just like this gooseneck adapter I built, approved by an engineer. Like I said the welding is the easy part!

Trailer looks great!!

Elite Member

That overhead crane would look awesome in my shop. Nice.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Super Star Member
    SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

I've built most of my hitches and a few couplers back when I worked in a Fab Shop and welding certified.

If anything... they are overbuilt and never a problem in more than 30 years...

A lot of my equipment is one off or custom made... some 60 years ago or more and not a single weight rating or stamp to be found.

Anyone remember the first Barden Bumpers with tow platform for pickups? No rating on those either.

Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Here are a couple of the last hitches I've made. And an extension for a friend. I wouldn't use that thing, but that's what he wanted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch question?-ford-hitch-jpg   Trailer hitch question?-hitch-222-jpg   Trailer hitch question?-gusset-2-jpg   Trailer hitch question?-weld-jpg   Trailer hitch question?-no-fit-jpg  

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200ST.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    Vantage 400
    1800 Ellis saw.
    JD2 model 3.

Tractor

You sure that will hold?

Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Quote Originally Posted by Bday View Post
    You sure that will hold?
    I think it puts too much leverage on the receiver myself! But he likes it. He says it helps to back his boat around the corner of his house.

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200ST.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    Vantage 400
    1800 Ellis saw.
    JD2 model 3.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

SA, on that first one, on the Ford truck, does the tube extend further back to counteract the leverage, or is it welded on to the plate that is visible in the photo? No gussets or anything? Coming from a woodworking background, I constantly have to rethink how I design things with metal. Something that, with wood, you'd need a ton of bracing/gussets, with metal, you just take two pieces, weld them together, and call it done. But I'm never sure just how far that principle extends.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast