Trailer hitch question?

/ Trailer hitch question? #31  
That was so long ago I don't remember a lot about it. It does look like 3/8-inch material. I think the pipe was 4-inch, sch 80.
I don't know the weight rating, but Jack has a L3200 Kubota tractor with all most 2,000-pound counterweight. When he got home he hooked up his flatbed trailer, backed his tractor on the trailer, and bounced the counterweight a dozen or so times. Then placed a straight edge on the stinger part. Looked good to him.:D
No I'm not worried about liability issues at all. These are nothing compared to what I use to build.
Sure I don't recommended everybody build a trailer hitch, and especially with a 120-volt Mig welder!:eek: When ever I build something I'm not sure about, I know lots of engineers that I just e-mail a drawing to, for their approval. Like this bridge crane I built for my shop, I designed it, but the head of the engineering department of the company I worked for approved it. Just like this gooseneck adapter I built, approved by an engineer. Like I said the welding is the easy part!;)

Attachments

• Hoists.jpg
    Hoists.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Complete 1.jpg
    Complete 1.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Winch Mile Marker.jpg
    Winch Mile Marker.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 203
   / Trailer hitch question? #32  
Curt is a great hitch. We sell and install quite a few. Best finish in the industry in my opinion.

Chris

/ Trailer hitch question?
Thanks Guys!! That's the info I was looking for!

That was so long ago I don't remember a lot about it. It does look like 3/8-inch material. I think the pipe was 4-inch, sch 80.
I don't know the weight rating, but Jack has a L3200 Kubota tractor with all most 2,000-pound counterweight. When he got home he hooked up his flatbed trailer, backed his tractor on the trailer, and bounced the counterweight a dozen or so times. Then placed a straight edge on the stinger part. Looked good to him.:D
No I'm not worried about liability issues at all. These are nothing compared to what I use to build.
Sure I don't recommended everybody build a trailer hitch, and especially with a 120-volt Mig welder!:eek: When ever I build something I'm not sure about, I know lots of engineers that I just e-mail a drawing
to, for their approval. Like this bridge crane I built for my shop, I designed it, but the head of the engineering department of the company I worked for approved it. Just like this gooseneck adapter I built, approved by an engineer. Like I said the welding is the easy part!;)

Trailer looks great!!:thumbsup:

/ Trailer hitch question? #35  
That overhead crane would look awesome in my shop. Nice. ;)

/ Trailer hitch question? #36  
I've built most of my hitches and a few couplers back when I worked in a Fab Shop and welding certified.

If anything... they are overbuilt and never a problem in more than 30 years...

A lot of my equipment is one off or custom made... some 60 years ago or more and not a single weight rating or stamp to be found.

Anyone remember the first Barden Bumpers with tow platform for pickups? No rating on those either.

/ Trailer hitch question? #37  
Here are a couple of the last hitches I've made. And an extension for a friend. I wouldn't use that thing, but that's what he wanted. :laughing:

Attachments

• Ford hitch.jpg
    Ford hitch.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Hitch 222.JPG
    Hitch 222.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Gusset 2.jpg
    Gusset 2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Weld.jpg
    Weld.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 123
  • No fit.jpg
    No fit.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 95
You sure that will hold? :laughing:

/ Trailer hitch question? #39  
You sure that will hold? :laughing:
I think it puts too much leverage on the receiver myself! But he likes it. He says it helps to back his boat around the corner of his house.:confused3:

/ Trailer hitch question? #40  
SA, on that first one, on the Ford truck, does the tube extend further back to counteract the leverage, or is it welded on to the plate that is visible in the photo? No gussets or anything? Coming from a woodworking background, I constantly have to rethink how I design things with metal. Something that, with wood, you'd need a ton of bracing/gussets, with metal, you just take two pieces, weld them together, and call it done. But I'm never sure just how far that principle extends.