Trailer hitch question?

/ Trailer hitch question? #1  

Bday

Silver Member
Tractor
53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A
I need to buy a hitch for my 3/4ton dodge to tow a 14,000 lb. trailer. The hitch on it is max 10,000 with 500 lb. tongue weight. I know how to weld,so I was wondering if you could safely beef up the hitch I have now instead of spending more money to replace it? If so where would the key areas be to add plate and tubing?

/ Trailer hitch question? #2  
Buy a new one. 2.5" Class 5 Reece Titan is what I recommend to my customers.

Chris

/ Trailer hitch question? #3  
I'm admittedly paranoid when it comes to issues concerning potential personal liability. What if the modified hitch fails and results in an accident? How would your insurance carrier respond?

If I was in your shoes, I would listen to Chris and pony up for a new hitch.

Steve

/ Trailer hitch question? #4  
I'm not trying to be a jerk or sarcastic. If your asking those questions it would probably be best to purchase the correct hitch.

/ Trailer hitch question? #5  
Granted it would be best and easier to buy thew right hitch ..

But what makes a hitch rated from 10k to 14k? is it the thickness of metal? if so then by how much? or shape? or is it from 2 inch to 2.5?

/ Trailer hitch question?
I'm not trying to be a jerk or sarcastic. If your asking those questions it would probably be best to purchase the correct hitch.
I'm a certified welder and very confident in what I do. Just thought spending $150 in steel would be cheaper then spending $400 or more. Should be an easy process in beefing up an exsisting hitch to handle the trailer. Thought maybe someone here may had already tried and had some pointers. I try to fab most of what I need here in my shop. Thanks for your help!

/ Trailer hitch question? #7  
Here's the rub, as I see it. No matter how competent you are as a welder, you are not capable of getting your custom-made hitch rated for road use. Even if your hitch would hold a million pounds, if you are in a trailer-related accident, there is the possibility of the insurance company or the DOT saying, "Your trailer was over your hitch's weight rating." And when you come back and say, "No no no! I beefed it up!" that is not going to carry any weight at all with them.

Now, I don't know what model year your truck is, but mine is a 2005, so that's what I looked up, and here is a link to a hitch for my truck with a 2550 lb tongue weight and 17k lb trailer weight rating, and it costs $295 plus shipping. So if you could beef up your existing hitch for $150, this will cost you $150 more than that, minus the value of your time and consumables, and you will be good to go. Me? No question which way I'd fall.

Whatever you do, please be aware of the requirement for a weight-distributing system on many trucks' hitches. I find that a lot of people aren't aware of this, so if you are aware, then just forget I mentioned it. My truck is rated to tow 13k lbs with the factory hitch, but whoops! In the fine print, it says that you can only go up to 3,500 lbs or 350 lbs tongue weight unless you have a WD system installed. I can't speak for your truck, but if the hitch maxes out at 10k, I would bet that assumes a WD system, and the non-WD rating is more like 3.5 to 5k lbs. I know some factory trucks, like the Tundra, and some GM trucks, achieve max tow rating without needing a WD system, but they're in the minority.

Also, it's surprising to me that your truck has a 10k tow rating, but only 500 lbs max tongue weight. A bumper pull trailer needs 10-15% of its weight on the tongue, so a 10k trailer with only 500 lbs on the tongue (5% tongue weight) would be dangerously tail-heavy. Maybe the 10k rating assumes a gooseneck or 5th wheel, in which case the tongue weight would not be applied to the bumper hitch. I dunno.

/ Trailer hitch question? #8  
Bday said:
I'm a certified welder and very confident in what I do. Just thought spending $150 in steel would be cheaper then spending $400 or more. Should be an easy process in beefing up an exsisting hitch to handle the trailer. Thought maybe someone here may had already tried and had some pointers. I try to fab most of what I need here in my shop. Thanks for your help!

Here is the thing. I weld and fab at work. I could give my wife a setup mig welder, two mild steel plates and lay money down that in two minutes she could get them stuck together having never welded. Could she build a hitch no.. Could I yes. Some things I don't care to weld though. I'll weld stuff up all the time to move heavy things. Should I weld a truck frame together... no! Can I? yes, but I don't want the liability when the dump truck breaks in half and runs over little Johnny. What I'm getting at here is I'm sure you can weld circles around me. But your asking simple structural questions. It makes me uncomfortable to answer your question on beefing it up. Its 14,000lb trailer pulling, pushing, and bouncing. If you are unsure of your decision making abilities on beefing up a structure then maybe the test ground shouldn't be on a highway around someone's family.

/ Trailer hitch question? #9  
In today's litigious world I guess it always helps to think not "Can I do this?" rather "How would this look to the 12 mouth-breathing morons who will make the decision of fault?" Not to mention the sharp lawyer.

/ Trailer hitch question? #10  
I don't have much respect or use for lawyers. I am also a very good welder with many years experience. in this case I would spend a little money on a hitch with a factory rated sticker on it just to avoid the chance of having to hire a lawyer to defend me in case there was an accident. If you are in an accident someone is getting sued.