First time towning the Kubota

/ First time towning the Kubota #1  

stratton

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota b2320
IMAG0701.jpg

I was a little worried about towing the tractor behind my Tacoma, But it did ok. almost 5000lbs there. Good thing for trailer brakes.

/ First time towning the Kubota #2  
Looks like a nice trailer there, so it's good to see someone doing it right with proper equipment.

I tow my B2920 on a 7x16 tandem landscape trailer with brakes, using an Acura MDX (5000# tow rating), and it does well. Won't win any drag races, but the overall stability and braking are extremely good. It tows real nice and I've never had a worry once I got over my initial concerns.

I see many guys in 3/4 ton pickups hauling unbraked trailers that look like they are about to self destruct, so to me it's not the size of the tow vehicle that counts, it's the safety and condition of the whole package.

/ First time towning the Kubota
I wouldn't dare tow that much with out brakes. The truck is rated up to 6500lbs with the tow package. Which sounds like a lot for a 6 cylinder. I only towed it about 5 miles so I didn't notice how much gas it guzzled.

/ First time towning the Kubota #4  
One thing to keep in mind is if you get a DOT audit. I was back hauling a tractor for someone in the Midwest. When I was going through PA on the way home to DE, I got stopped at a checkpoint. I have a class a with air brakes and hazmat endorsements. The cop told me that they were now fining anyone towing a tractor with more than a "small" fuel tank that didn't have hazmat insurance coverage. I wasn't quite sure what he was talking about. He went on to say the state is now considering a rolled over trailer with a piece of equipment on it that leaks diesel fuel all over the road a hazmat situation. "You need to carry the proper insurance and a hazmat spill kit".
Luckily I already had both. This was only a 70hp tractor with about 5 gallons of diesel in it. I would suggest you check your insurance coverage and buy a spill kit for your rig. I have way over a million miles logged of hauling with an apportioned license and that's the first time I have heard that. Called my DOT auditor when I got home and he said it was true.

/ First time towning the Kubota #5  
View attachment 310573

I was a little worried about towing the tractor behind my Tacoma, But it did ok. almost 5000lbs there. Good thing for trailer brakes.

Hi Stratton,

Good to see Tacoma's and tractors! :)

I have a new 2013 Tacoma v6 PreRunner with the tow package and am working on configuring a trailer for my JD 3520. Tractor weighs approx. 3000lbs.

Questions:

- Are you using a weight distribution hitch? My understanding is that a weight distribution hitch is needed (actually, required per the Tacoma manual) to tow the max 6500lbs.

- What width and length is your trailer?

Thanks much,

- Spindifferent

/ First time towning the Kubota #6  
<snip>The cop told me <snip>the state is now considering a rolled over trailer with a piece of equipment on it that leaks diesel fuel all over the road a hazmat situation. <snip>
What about a rolled over 350 w/ 38 gallons? Hazmat for everything bigger than a 5 gallon tank?

/ First time towning the Kubota
Hay Dude I didnt hear of that but I will look into it. What does a spill kit consist of? Cat litter?

Spindifferent, The trailer is 18' long and I think its 6' wide. The hitch came from the factory so i am not sure exactly which one it is. But they told me it has a 6500lb limit. Since it also came with a harness for the trailer brakes it was easy to add the brake controller.