Remote Start - Cold Weather Aides.

/ Remote Start - Cold Weather Aides. #1  

dkhntr04

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3720 Cab
I am considering getting trading out of my 2007 Silverado 2500HD gas to an 04-05 LLY Duramax or an 06-07 6.0 PSD. My main concern with going back to diesel is cold start reliability when I am away from electricity, primarily on ice fishing trips when the temps routinely hit -20 to -35 F at night. I do not need a primer on diesels in cold weather, I had a 7.3 PSD and sold it because of several reasons with cold starting below -20 F being one of them.

Does anyone know of remote starter units that do either of the following things?

1. Will restart the truck when the engine coolant temperature reaches a certain point, say 32 degrees F, and let it run until it hits a certain temperature or for a specified amount of time?

2. Is programmable so I can set the truck to start and run for a period of time every few hours. For example, I could set the truck to start every 2 hours and run for 20 minutes.

Thanks.

/ Remote Start - Cold Weather Aides. #2  
Personally I would keep what you have. That year Dmax is not the best. 06 & 07.5 are the best. The 6.0 is hit or miss.

Chris

/ Remote Start - Cold Weather Aides. #3  
Might not be what your looking for but my remote start (aftermarket Bulldog Security unit) will start the truck then automatically shut off in 15 mins unless you put the key in the ignition. Of course you would need to be within 200 ft or so for it to work and would have to stay awake all night to do so.
Using a digital thermostat, I bet someone good with electronic wiring could combine it with my remote and make it automatic.

/ Remote Start - Cold Weather Aides.
Thanks for the replies. The more digging I do I am finding most auto starters have some type of timer setting that would satisfy my question #2. I am finding some units (Viper) that use interior temperature and for automatic restart. None that use engine temp so far, though interior temp would probably get the job done good enough.

/ Remote Start - Cold Weather Aides. #5  
A friend of mine at work had a remote start system installed on his truck. He has an app for it on his smart phone. It can be started from any distance ( like the GM Onstar app). It tells him if the truck was sucsessfully started and offers all kinds of setting and options...... Just saw the above thread. His aftermarket system IS a Viper. Remembered the snake on the app.