F150 or F250 to pull trailer???

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #21  
after towing GN I hate towing bumper anymore. it spoils you.

sounds like a 10k rated trailer? i guess either will do ya.. if it was a 14k trailer.. i'd go 250 for sure.. as you could use it.

heck.. if it was me.. i'd go bigger anyway. daily driver is a diesel 350 drw.. :)

good luck...

Ok, kicking this around....... for towing a low deck gooseneck trailer weighing about 9600-9700 loaded... about 10-15 times a year within 100 miles or so, the F150 Eco, or the F250 6.2 gasser. The truck is a daily driver putting on 15,000 a year, so fuel gets $$$. Silverado 1500 is too light a truck, and I have to be honest and admit, even though I'm a GM man, the 3/4 ton chevy gassers suck fuel a LOT more than the F250's at work.

On another note.... first goose after towing 3 different bumper pulls for over 25 years........ usually towing about 5500 lbs or so + the weight of the trailer. I should have done this..... well, 25 years ago. What a difference. Goose pulls SO much easier. Thanks to all......

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer???
after towing GN I hate towing bumper anymore. it spoils you.

sounds like a 10k rated trailer? i guess either will do ya.. if it was a 14k trailer.. i'd go 250 for sure.. as you could use it.

heck.. if it was me.. i'd go bigger anyway. daily driver is a diesel 350 drw.. :)

good luck...

Yeah, its actually 10,400....... 20 footer low profile. I'm a GM man my whole life, but thier trucks seem rated light, and as I said before, thier 6.0 is a huge gas hog. Diesel to me is both too much $$$ for me to afford, and I can't see the benifit anymore with diesel 43+ cents more a gallon around here.

I have a friend with the eco and he loves it, but I read on the net about problems with it going into "lame" mode? Plus 3/4 ton has bigger brakes.... etc....
Something to think about.

You're right about the gooseneck though........ I will NEVER own another bumper pull......

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #23  
i probably went a hair overkill.. but it is probably because I was a lil underkill for too long. i got tired of pushing the envelope of just barely enough tow vehicle ( and trailer ).. white knuckleing it sometimes what i was real close and over.. or panic stops when you are trucking good on open road and the moron on t he side street run a light and jumps out in front of you.. etc. :)

hauling weekly and hauling monthly is a bit of a difference too.

that's why they make all kinds.. for us to choose.

wish you the best.

I am for sure sacrificing some fuel eonomy and $$ on tires a bit.. in exchange for more capacity, brakes.. and some safety I did without for a few years. :)

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #24  
Any more it seems to own a diesel you need to tow a LOT or just plain like a diesel as it sure is not cheaper to drive. I really like my diesel because of the unending amount of power but if a gaser will cover your needs it will save you a lot of cash!

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #25  
it's funny.. I like gasser tractors.. and diesel trucks.. :)

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #26  
I have both a RAM 1500 and a RAM 3500. A few weeks back I was "stuck" in Houston with the 1500 and needed to pick up 20 sacks of concrete (50 lb bags). The concrete easily fit at the front of the bed, stacked two deep in two rows. There was A LOT of room left in the bed (didn't "look" like there was much in there at all), but the truck was virtually maxed out on payload. While it can "pull" more than it can carry, I decided then and there that I'd never buy a 1500 again.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #27  
I've pretty much always towed with a 25xx series Ford or Dodge. I like the heavier truck; have had to make an emergency stop with a ~5klb trailer. Even with 25xx series truck, it was hairy... Glad I had the extra truck then... Have been cut off a few times towing the 5th wheel too, but not so much that the anti-locks are activating like that one time with tractor on trailer...

My truck is a diesel. I have found everything on the 25xx(previously known as 3/4 tons) trucks more expensive than a 15xx series truck, regardless of brand. Tire, brakes, shocks etc. Keep that in mind in addition to fuel mileage comparisons...

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #28  
Wny,

Towing is effortless with the new Chevys. Really stable and confident comparing to my 2004 1/2 ton. I had to hunt for it, but I got a truck with 3.73 gears.

It also has the 17" alloy wheels and little 245 weenie tires.

My father claims the he gets a bit better highway mileage (17 mpg), but his is a 2011, reg cab, 8 ft bed, WT, 4x4 with 3.73 gears, steel wheels and 265s. Lighter weight than my extended cab LT, but tires.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #29  
I have both a F250 diesel and a F150 gas with the 5.4. Guess wich one gets used the most, hands down the F150. If it below 10000 lbs the F150 has no problem with it and the 5.4 is no comparision to the ecoboost. Everybody gets all worried about stopping a trailer, well you had better have brakes on the trailer with enough stopping power for the trailer AND load period. The truck should in no way be figured in with the stopping of the trailer. Handling of the weight and controlling the trailer yes but stopping NO WAY. Look at it this way, we pull combined loads in Michigan to 160,000 lbs gross and just because the tractor weighs 24,000 lbs it should make no difference if it is a 40,000lbs on a float or 100,000lb in a gravel train. CJ

Last edited:
   / F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #30  
haul a 5'er occasionally, a trailer/compact tractor occasionally, and other smaller stuff (boat/icehouse) more frequently. none of it enough to jump to needing a diesel imho (initial expense, upkeep, fuel, and most important to me, likelihood to 'gel' in the north country), so I bought a 250 6.8 V10 a year or two ago. like the truck lots better than the .5t Silverado before it, but it is THIRSTY! I get 13mpg on a good highway ride, 9-10 pulling.
still, I feel it handles the tow night/day different than the chev, heavier frame and everything, and i'll pay more in fuel for that.