F150 or F250 to pull trailer???

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #1  

wny770

Gold Member
Tractor
Lots of old iron
Ok, kicking this around....... for towing a low deck gooseneck trailer weighing about 9600-9700 loaded... about 10-15 times a year within 100 miles or so, the F150 Eco, or the F250 6.2 gasser. The truck is a daily driver putting on 15,000 a year, so fuel gets $$$. Silverado 1500 is too light a truck, and I have to be honest and admit, even though I'm a GM man, the 3/4 ton chevy gassers suck fuel a LOT more than the F250's at work.

On another note.... first goose after towing 3 different bumper pulls for over 25 years........ usually towing about 5500 lbs or so + the weight of the trailer. I should have done this..... well, 25 years ago. What a difference. Goose pulls SO much easier. Thanks to all......

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #2  
You just have to decide.....you already stated the obvious. The 250 would pull the load better but when not hooked up.....the 150 will be easier on the wallet. Both are good trucks.....if I was a betting man.....I'd bet you'll go with less $$$$ and get the 150. Good luck.....:thumbsup:

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #3  
If your looking for opinions, I would go with the f150 but only if you get the HD option. You will need it for the heavy pin weights. This will allow you access to more fuel efficient options not available on the super duty. Which engine is going to be another topic. I am a satisfied ecoboost owner and think it fits your needs well.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #4  
The 250 of old was much heavier duty(80s and 90s,and I assume they are still much heavier duty) ,bigger,better brakes,and wheel bearings,trans,etc. I'd use an F-250. don-ohio :)^)

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #5  
250 sold Fords for a couple of years. Need to test drive both with a load on them. We have nothing but flat ground around here ,but you can tell the difference starting and stopping.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #6  
for under 10K i would go with the f-150 if you are not loading the trailer pin heavy. i think you can equip them up to 2300# payload which would work out with the weight you described at just under 25% pin weight being a gooseneck.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #7  
Personally, for that kind of weight, I would go with the F250. I had an F150 to tow our travel trailer, and moved up to an F250 when we bought a fifth wheel. You will be very close (if not over) your payload limit on the F150 with the gooseneck and that kind of weight. Don't forget, you have to have fuel and people on board as well.

Buy a bit more truck and you will feel (and be) a lot safer.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #8  
Personally, for that kind of weight, I would go with the F250. I had an F150 to tow our travel trailer, and moved up to an F250 when we bought a fifth wheel. You will be very close (if not over) your payload limit on the F150 with the gooseneck and that kind of weight. Don't forget, you have to have fuel and people on board as well.

Buy a bit more truck and you will feel (and be) a lot safer.

Just to clarify, a full tank of fuel is included with the payload sticker on the door. Driver and passenger are not.

/ F150 or F250 to pull trailer??? #10  
since the op lives in wny same as me, I would go with the 250 that is what I have. If the cops in the wny area even think you are overloaded you are going to get pulled and the dot show's up with the scales. ask me how I know i got pulled for having a ton of pellets in the bed, and the cop didn't care that i had the truck weighted for 13,000 still got the dot.