Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 770, Bobcat 753

Default Ford Taurus

My neighbor is selling her Taurus. I think she said it was an 05, loaded. Not sure of the engine, but I think it's a six. It has 68k miles and she only wants $2000. It needs a speedometer cable as far as I can tell.

I've been barking about how many miles I'm racking up on my new truck as well as the poor mileage. Can anyone tell me if it would make a good commuter car, mostly hwy miles? Is it reliable? Decent fuel mileage?
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Ehhh. Fairly reliable. Terrible NVH. The earlier models had terrible reliability from a mechanical standpoint. The later ones aren't bad, just not nice.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

It has no speedo cable. Either a VSS or speedo head problem.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Tractor
    Bobcat CT335 + Kubota BX2370-1

Default Re: Ford Taurus

I had an '04 with the 3.0L v6. It's was an all cast iron engine. It was a very reliable car with mileage in the 26-27 mpg range. Only tires and brakes in the first 100,000. Unfortunately it was totaled when we were rear ended on the freeway a couple years ago or I bet I would still be driving it every day. My niece has an '06 with the 3.0L also. The most common issue I have heard of with these cars is ball joint trouble when they get higher mileage. I would be surprised if the speedometer used a cable in an '05 though. I never had a lick of trouble with mine so I couldn't say for sure.
    "Contentment makes poor men rich, Discontent makes rich men poor." Benjamin Franklin

"...The conflict between believers and non believers is not about the beliefs..." IslandTractor

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

My wife had one a few years ago. Think is was an 03 or 04.
    Mileage was poor only about 19-20. It was terrible in snow. Couldn't get out of its own way. She's now driving a 4x4 Escape that gets 22 mpg.
    Never had any trouble with it. Just regular oil and filter changes and a brake job.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Mahindra 4110

As peacock stated, does not have a speedo cable. We've seen alot of cooling system problems with the 3.0L Ford engines - severe deterioration of metal components in the system - water pump impellers being a very important one. We have a 1999 Sable at the shop now that has had 2 water pumps in the past 3 years with impellers completely gone, heater hose assemblies replaced twice, heater cores completely stopped-up and now the freeze plugs rotting out from inside. Have seen several even newer cars like this over the past few years as well as a couple of Ranger pickups with the 3.0L with exactly the same problems in the cooling system. The '05 Taurus you describe might be just fine with only 68K miles - especially for only $2K, that's a great price for most any used car that will get you back n' forth to work and the grocery store !!
    2001 Mahindra 4110, FEL w/5' & 6' QA buckets & forks for the 5', 6' Atlas boxblade, older 6' Howse rotary, Leinbach 7300 PHD w/9" & 12", KK subsoiler, KK middlebuster, Kubota BL60C 5' tiller, Maschio 6' finish mower, Ford 2 bottom plow, 2014 Load-Max 24' GN equipment trailer, Country Clipper Edge XLT 60" mower.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by skipmarcy View Post
    As peacock stated, does not have a speedo cable. We've seen alot of cooling system problems with the 3.0L Ford engines - severe deterioration of metal components in the system - water pump impellers being a very important one. We have a 1999 Sable at the shop now that has had 2 water pumps in the past 3 years with impellers completely gone, heater hose assemblies replaced twice, heater cores completely stopped-up and now the freeze plugs rotting out from inside. Have seen several even newer cars like this over the past few years as well as a couple of Ranger pickups with the 3.0L with exactly the same problems in the cooling system. The '05 Taurus you describe might be just fine with only 68K miles - especially for only $2K, that's a great price for most any used car that will get you back n' forth to work and the grocery store !!
    It's the crap Ford coolant. I remember doing litmus tests that were bad on cars 2-3 yrs old.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Elite Member

DW has a 2004. 96,000 miles with just tires, brakes and battery replaced. I change the trans fluid every 30,000 miles. I think that it is a fine car for the money.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D, Kubota KX91 MiniEx, MULE Fxt Pro, Honda Pioneer 500

For 2K that sounds pretty decent. Heck if you can get a year or two out of it and scrap it you would be way ahead....

Tractor
    1975 John Deere 1530

I had an 05, purchased new. It was totaled in an accident at about 77k miles. It had the original brakes, I had replaced the original Continental Contitracs at about 64k. Mileage- about 25-26 highway and 19-20 city. That car would go for about $5-6000 around my area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast