2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #21  
I liked it back when small pickups were actually small. One of my favorite past vehicles was my Ford Courier (Mazda engine). It was small and simple but could haul a lot of weight. I continued to buy small trucks through the years (along with an F150 or two) and I wish they still sold them, I'd buy one in a second. The newest Tacomas are as big or bigger than the older half-ton Fords and Chevys and probably more powerful. I see those little pick up thingies they drive over in India and wish they sold those here.

When I want to ride in comfort, I just take my car.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #22  
I liked it back when small pickups were actually small. One of my favorite past vehicles was my Ford Courier (Mazda engine). It was small and simple but could haul a lot of weight. I continued to buy small trucks through the years (along with an F150 or two) and I wish they still sold them, I'd buy one in a second. The newest Tacomas are as big or bigger than the older half-ton Fords and Chevys and probably more powerful. I see those little pick up thingies they drive over in India and wish they sold those here.

When I want to ride in comfort, I just take my car.

That's because every vehicle that's built today HAS to be able to fit you, your wife, your 8 kids, and the dog. Apparently they did a study and determined that the only people who drove trucks were large family's who all piled up in the truck to go everywhere. I liked the size of my '95 Toyota 4x4 truck and my '95 Nissan truck. Things started getting huge after 2004 it seems like as far as trucks go.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #23  
I agree with a previous poster, the avalanche and Cadillac are not trucks. Big, truck style SUVs.

I'm really surprised that Ram has such strong numbers. Around New England, F150s are obvious front runners with GMs and Tundras in close second. Not many Rams though.

I've always been a fan of the GMC moniker. Since the 80s it hasn't meant much, but it still is a cool name.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #24  
>That's because every vehicle that's built today HAS to be able to fit you, your wife, your 8 kids, and the dog. Apparently they did a study and determined that the only people who drove trucks were large family's who all piled up in the truck to go everywhere<

My guess is that a lot of people 'want' a pickup and also need a car. So, the factories just made the pickups to seat 6, bumped the price 50%, and solved the one "car" need.

I have a '97 Chevy 3-door half-ton, which next to a new F150 looks like a minature truck. I don't put many miles per year at all on anything, but if I did have to buy a new truck, it would be a difficult choice. Unfortunately, 2-door pickups have little trade-in value, and 4-door pickups are way more than anything I'd ever use.

My personal preference as far as LOOKS go is a regular cab. But the utility of an extended cab or a crew cab puts the regular cab out of the question for me. But then, I wouldn't be buying a 'work only' truck...

Different strokes for ...

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #25  
My truck has to be able to tow my fifth wheel AND haul my family of 5 (plus a dog). Either that, or we have to take two vehicles camping, which isn't an option.

So, yeah, trucks have become more multi-use, but I welcome it, and would be lost without it.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #26  
RAM has got to be #1 in Eastern Ontario. At least since the redesign in 2011. Ford #2.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #27  
I think RAM sells pretty well in the Great White North.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #28  
I have been seeing more Rams 1/2 tons last the year or so.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #29  
I didn't realize the Tundra was that strong. I assumed it had pockets of the country that it sold well in while others that you couldn't give one away. Around here Ford is by far and away #1 in sales but I see as many Tundras as I do Chevy/ GMC trucks. But this area loves the Tacoma so I would assume that if someone with a Tacoma decides to go larger they will go to the Toyota dealership first.

I have a 2007 Tundra (made in IN before the switch to the TX plant). I actually drove across the width of Texas in 2009, and even my wife commented how it seemed like we saw more Tundras than Fords or Chevys....that shocked me.

/ 2012 Half Ton Pickup Sales #30  
I have a 2007 Tundra (made in IN before the switch to the TX plant). I actually drove across the width of Texas in 2009, and even my wife commented how it seemed like we saw more Tundras than Fords or Chevys....that shocked me.

I know that Toyota gained a lot of credit when they started doing the buyout then replacing frames from rust around here. 15 years is about the max you get on a truck before the rust is so bad that even if the frame didn't break anything bolted to it couldn't be removed. Just this week I passed a garage that had a late 90s Ford 1 ton with the bed off and you could see holes in the frame as you drove by. Normally these trucks get the frame patched and become yard plow trucks. I'm sure it doesn't matter much to those down south. I'm wondering if Toyota did it so they could see if they could claim to have the highest percentage of Tundras on the road after 15 years. Either way if I ever replace my Tundra with a new truck Toyota is at the top of the list.