Lifespan of Trailer Tires

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires
It looks like this trailer is going to be confined to low speed stuff. It would be nice if it were there to retrieve a stranded car or haul the little BX to the dealer if/when needed but I can not justify buying new tires to have them rot. For now it can live with what it has. I can always get news ones if/when to take it on the road.

Thanks guys.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #13  
Dry rot always gets my trailer tires. I've never came close to wearing the tread off of a tire. Once I start to see cracks forming they get replaced the next time I need the trailer. For around the house I'll use tubes. I wonder what would happen if you pulled the wheels and put them in a shed or garage until needed, maybe even at a reduced pressure for those of us that rarely use the trailer.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #14  
I'm going to go against the grain and it could just well be that I have been very fortunate in 35 years of towing or restoring cars to never have a tire fall apart...

The tires I just replaced on my utility box trailer that is used every week were bought at Wards in 1980... over 30 years of weekly use and no issues other than it was time for new because the tread had worn out.

My car hauler is the same... In 1983 I bought 12 ply tube tires and it gets used about every other month...

I bought the tires on my Model A Roadster in 1974... they are nylon Garfields and have equally old Firestones on my 30 Pickup.

My opinions are...

Multi-ply tube type tires are near indestructible...

Single Axle Trailers inherently stress tires less than multi-axle trailers... I've actually witnessed tires rolled right off the rim when a loaded two axle flat-bed trailer was making a U-turn...

Nylon and similar tires that were once common wear like iron...

I own one modern two axle hauler with ST tires that are now 5 years old and the tires are the only tires I have ever had that are starting to check and crack and set for replacement.

I never drive over 55 when towing and the antiques it is more like 45 mph.

The Semperit rear tires on one of my Grandfathers tractors are more than 50 years old... just had to throw that in.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #15  
I hate extra work, with 60+ tires on the ground, my solution is to invest in

tire plugs
valve stems
Schroeder valves
long handle 4way lug wrenches
extra rims with mounted tires of each size needed
extra free takeoff tires from friends
standardize as much as possible on rim sizes
multiple heavy duty hydraulic long throw jacks, bottle jacks with wood blocks, tractor jack
12v air pump(last resort)
air compressor, large capacity, with high torque impact wrench and sockets
multiple tire gauges
visually inspect tires every time I use a vehicle/trailer.
HFT tire changer but most often take tires to be mounted to excellent local tire place
patience is greatly facilitated by knowing all the above are available for resolving a low air problem.
being retired helps with perspective on the problem.

Dry rot always gets my trailer tires. I've never came close to wearing the tread off of a tire. Once I start to see cracks forming they get replaced the next time I need the trailer. For around the house I'll use tubes. I wonder what would happen if you pulled the wheels and put them in a shed or garage until needed, maybe even at a reduced pressure for those of us that rarely use the trailer.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #16  
Get them off the ground like Chris mentioned. Also keep them covered from sunshine.
hugs, Brandi

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #17  
I wonder how my spare is doing. It's under a tire cover.

I have had two spares fail that never touched the ground. First one was mounted on my old 10,400# trailer. Happened on a Saturday morning. Sounded like a shot gun went off. It was a Carslile.

The second was on my 7,000# trailer. It was in the pole barn. It blew up 15 minutes after my 4 year old daughter went in to get her bike. It actually did siding damage to the barn. It was a Goodyear Marathon.

Chris

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #18  

Actually it would make no difference.

Chris

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #19  
The rubber detoriates over time, no matter what you do. Covering them from sunlight helps a little. RVs have custom covers available. I just use plywood.
hugs, Brandi

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #20  
Of all the brands out there, at the bottom of my respect list are Goodyear and Carsile. Never, ever would buy one. Now for my road tires I use Michilen...Pricy, but weird wear, tread separations, unbalance conditions, have stopped since I started the using them. Those conditions are evident in my friends takeoffs...they also now avoid Goodyear and Carsile. Me, I use the takeoffs on ranch equipment till they go/blow(yes sometimes just sitting still), then just mount the next spare/rim and keep rolling...at low speeds, on ranch.