Lifespan of Trailer Tires

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #31  
Tire slime. Green and gooey with black flecks in it...never heard of tube slime til now.

Was that tube slime, or tire slime? I accidentally bought a jug of tube slime and it doesn't work well in tubeless tires (not much in the way of fibers, just oozes out). Works great in tubes though.

Aaron Z

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #32  
Ultra runner, I'll see you and predate your tires with one I have...a WWII TIRE marked RED RIVER ARMY DEPOT. Has tube and was on ground of 315 gallon sprayer until a year ago when its mate completely fell apart and I replaced both rims and tires. Still holds air...kinda a museum piece now with its army green rim. Yes, it's badly checked and cracked.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #33  
Of all the brands out there, at the bottom of my respect list are Goodyear and Carsile. Never, ever would buy one. Now for my road tires I use Michilen...Pricy, but weird wear, tread separations, unbalance conditions, have stopped since I started the using them. Those conditions are evident in my friends takeoffs...they also now avoid Goodyear and Carsile. Me, I use the takeoffs on ranch equipment till they go/blow(yes sometimes just sitting still), then just mount the next spare/rim and keep rolling...at low speeds, on ranch.

I've stuck with Michilens, for truck use, ever since I got 100,000 miles out of the set of Michilens on my 2002 Ram 2500 when I bought it new with 11.3 miles on it.
hugs, Brandi

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #34  
Tire slime. Green and gooey with black flecks in it...never heard of tube slime til now.
I didnt know that thy made it either until I bought a gallon to use in the golf cart tires and wondered why it didn't seal right... Worked great in the tubed tires though.

Aaron Z

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #35  
One of the tires on my trailer blew up just sitting there. But it is about 13.5 years old.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #36  
Do the math on your vehicles tires and you will see you are not even close to carrying the max weight. Now do the same on a trailer and most times you are right at the limit. That and the relatively small size is why they do not last.
Chris

I may be lucky. My 4 tires are rated at 2540 lbs for a max of >10,000 lbs. I try to limit my gross trailer wt to 5000 lbs because that's my truck tow limit. Sounds like loading tires to the max is an expensive way to haul. What do you think?
Bob

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #37  
I've got slime in my Kubota RTV tires. It's good at showing me where the leak is so I can plug it...looks wet at the spot but does not plug leak, only slows it down. I depended on it until while on a hunting trip I ran over something causing medium speed leak allowing return to camp..

So did slime slow the leak and allow you to get back to camp?

I used similar stuff on a recap on a Dodge van and managed to drive about 40 miles to where I could get the tires replaced. Both recaps failed at the same time and I only had 1 spare. The recap I drove on ended up having the stuff oozing out like syrup, but it held air.

Like I wrote, it's good when actually fixing the tire is really inconvenient. Such as bad weather and you need to get some place. Or no phone service to call AAA.

Otherwise call AAA and let them handle it.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #38  
I may be lucky. My 4 tires are rated at 2540 lbs for a max of >10,000 lbs. I try to limit my gross trailer wt to 5000 lbs because that's my truck tow limit. Sounds like loading tires to the max is an expensive way to haul. What do you think?
Bob

It will help but it does not change the fact time is not on your side.

Chris

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #39  
Saw a Michilen car tire advertising 90,000 mile warranty today. My collection of trailers are seriously under tired. The best trailer I have needed four tires a year ago. I will run LT as I was told all tire molds for trailers went off shore a couple of years ago.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #40  
Stob in ground size of pencil punched hole in tire, you could hear air and see spurts of slime as tire rotated. My son dropped me at deer stand, raced 2 miles back to camp, made it with rim about 2 inches from ground and maybe 4lbs air in tire...remember this is a light RTV so low pressure still provides some support.

AAA isn't for me...I try to be self sufficient and do things for myself. Sadly, seems that every time I call on professional help I have to review/inspect and correct to get done right, anyway. Last time I called a wrecker (was stuck in boggy drainage area adjacent to pavement) I advised driver to stay on pavement and that I would pull the cable out to the car and attach myself. His "no problem, I'll take care of it" turned into him getting stuck, too and him calling a 2nd wrecker and him wanting me to pay for both tow charges. I paid one charge to pull me 20 feet back onto pavement.

Don't get me started on the numerous egregious errors I have found in work of lawyers and real estate agents I was paying good money to represent me. I'm not really a complete perfectionist, just expect people to know their profession and add more value than I can, personally and avoid careless and expensive errors.

So did slime slow the leak and allow you to get back to camp?

I used similar stuff on a recap on a Dodge van and managed to drive about 40 miles to where I could get the tires replaced. Both recaps failed at the same time and I only had 1 spare. The recap I drove on ended up having the stuff oozing out like syrup, but it held air.

Like I wrote, it's good when actually fixing the tire is really inconvenient. Such as bad weather and you need to get some place. Or no phone service to call AAA.

Otherwise call AAA and let them handle it.