Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ?

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
I was looking at bumper pull equipment trailers for my JD 110 TLB today.

With the backhoe tucked completely in, the machine is ~21 feet long. There is about 6ft. of overhang behind the rear wheels, so I don't think I need a trailer longer than the backhoe, but what is the correct length trailer for this machine?

I can get a 9,990 lb rated trailer in either 18 or 20'. The 20' would have a rated payload of ~8100 lbs. I think the machine weighs 8000 lbs as I have it set up, which seems like very little safety margin.

For less than $1000 more, I can get a 14,000 lb rated trailer which I think would be sturdier all around and have a much better safety margin. Is there any disadvantage to this other than the extra $1000? Is there an advantage?

I think a lot of states have a registration break just at 10,000 lbs, which explains the proliferation of 9,990 lb trailers, but in OR, the break is at 8000 lbs. So, I would have to pay the higher rates with either trailer.

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #2  
Hi Dave...

I've used the trailer a few times that came with my 110.

It is a PJ with two 6k axles derrated to 9,999 lbs with swing-up ramps and brakes on both axles.

Trailer was bought new with the 110 and is 18' and has a stop made of lumber to tie down at the right spot.

Title says unladen weight is 3k leaving 7k per for cargo or 9k in reality based on tires/axles

110 fits like a glove...

I still have the same problem as before in that I don't have a truck with the HP to pull it loaded with the 110.

Each time I tow I have used my neighbors 2012 3/4 tow package suburban... he regularly tows a 22 enclosed trailer for his business that has tipped the scales a 12k on the trailer axles...

He used the trailer to pick up some 20' posts and was able to get the proper tongue load... and brought home a 5,000 gallon water tank last week on it's side... rolled it right up the ramps.

Can't really speak to safety margin other than the trailer seems well made...

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #3  
Get 14k trailer register for 8k and then just get trip permits for hauling the big loads even if you did not get the permits it would be a hard catch, otherwise you need "Truck" plates to haul the "Heavy Utility" and that is weight/mile quarterly registration. Under 8k is every two year registration and HU is one time only permanent

Have 20ft LoadTrail 4/16 tilt rated for 14k and would have nothing less for a Kubota L3130 with backhoe.

David Kb7uns

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #4  
Dave;

Go with the 20' trailer @ 14K. When I trailered the 110 from Olympia to Kasilof it was on a 20' tilt-bed with a 2' steel beaver tail. So, the trailer deck was really 22' overall. After picking the tractor up and loading it the first time and driving on I-5 approaching highway speeds I had to stop 2 additional times to get the tractor readjusted weight-wise such that the tongue weight was Ok and I didn't have that "scary" fishtail action! :eek:

So, long story short - the hoe is around 2K by itself - having it hang too far off the rear of the trailer - suspended in the air, can make for a trailering nightmare! Being able to move the tractor around (especially, forward) can make or break the possibility of having a safe load.

On that trip, I hauled a set of forks and a very heavy (900lb+) root grapple on the trailer as well. So, the extra trailer length made that a feasible option, too.

AKfish

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #5  
For that machine a 14K trailer is a no brainer to me.

Chris

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #6  
20' 14K trailer...

perhaps dual 6K axles for a 12K trailer would work, but id want the margin that the 14K would give incase you wind up hauling an extra bucket or forks or something up front.

with my hoe on the back of my tractor i have to pull it forward on the trailer about another 6-8" to get the right weight distribution because there is so much weight hanging off the rear of the tractor.

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #7  
One thing I failed to mention is my PJ18 trailer was set up with the dual rear axles a little more to the rear because it was ordered by the Deere Dealer specifically for the Deer 110.

I will never fault anyone with going larger...

The contractor that owned my 110 and trailer used it for 8 years and worked all over California...

When the operator retired the new guys like mini excavators and skid-steers... his new dump trailers have ramps and double to haul the skid-steers.

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #8  
Model Number of my PJ is 618DF

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #9  
The only way IMO for anyone using an 18ft trailer to haul a backhoe should back the TLB on to the trailer to get the correct weight distruibution. The FEL bucket can slightly overhang the rear deck of the trailer if properly chained on.

/ Trailer Length for JD 110 TLB ? #10  
Dave, interesting to run across this thread. I looked at a Kearney trailer last week that was 102" x 24' for $5795. Had rear slide in ramps and open sides and the sticker shows a cargo weight of 10450 lbs. this was a goose neck trailer with 7k axels.

I though it might be a good trailer for the 110.