So I ended up with a new Duramax after all

/ So I ended up with a new Duramax after all #21  
Nice write-up; you'll have to report back on the NH experience too...

/ So I ended up with a new Duramax after all
Here's an interesting update...

I called Cross Country Mfg, the manufacturer of my previous equipment trailer to inquire about a pintle eye instead of the ball coupler that I currently have on there due to the extra weight of my new tractor. Well it turns out that my trailer wasn't a 14,000 pound trailer derated to 13,000 pounds as I was originally led to believe, but was actually a 12,000 pound trailer which made an allowance for 1,000 pounds of tongue weight. This was going to mean that my new tractor setup was going to be WAY overweight on this trailer.

So I put some feelers out on Craigslist to see what I could get for my trailer and started looking at new units. Essentially I was finding that I was going to be a couple hundred pounds overweight on a bumper pull deckover trailer unless I went with the expensive 8,000 pound axles. I also was planning on replacing the tires on my previous trailer as well as some deck boards, and was going to give the whole thing a paint job. So long story short I was going to be dropping $2,000 plus into my existing trailer so I decided a new trailer was going to be the best option and I decided it was time I tried a gooseneck. I ended up selling my old trailer for $350 more than I paid for it which was still a fair price for both parties and sunk the money I was planning for freshening up my old trailer along with about $1500 to $2000 more and bought a PJ's 20 foot + 5 foot gooseneck trailer. I put a deposit on the trailer and will pick it up this week.

So I'm going to give a gooseneck a try this time around. I'm still loading the 7,000 pound axles close to capacity but have a few hundred pounds to spare on top of even the heaviest expected loads including binders, chains,etc. I feel that the gooseneck will definitely tow nicer than the bumper pull, especially at the upper ends of the weight spectrum and I'll end up with a nice towing setup able to comfortably handle all my needs. I figured a serious truck, pulling a serious tractor should get a serious trailer. I thought long and hard about going to tandem duals but just couldn't justify the extra cost (almost $2,000) considering I'd really need to move up to a dually to legally tow much heavier than what I've got now so I'm pretty happy. Does everyone think I did okay? Hopefully I'll have some pics of everything soon.

/ So I ended up with a new Duramax after all #23  
LT Cheg: I think I have the same trailer you are getting. For me it is a perfect set up as I can put up to 10k on the deck. World of difference towing with goose neck. You made a wise choice.

Attachments

• image-4041871069.jpg
    image-4041871069.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 151