1/2 ton with best tow ratings

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #11  
F150 Eco Boost. 11300# tow rating.

Great truck. We have one.

Chris

The OP asked for tow rating on a 4x4 crew cab. Not 2WD reg or extended cab. All the Eco Boost Ford F-150 4x4 Crew Cab I've seen are rated to tow 9200lbs.

Edit: Went to Ford's site and did see you can get a 3:73 gear option that puts the Crew Cab at 11,200lbs so you were not far off.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #12  
Case485Guy: The answer to your question is - who knows?

Remember the SAE J2807 towing standards that SAE member manufacturers agreed to comply with, beginning with the 2013 model year? Well, they didn't (except for Toyota whose towing ratings complied beginning with the 2011 model year). For example see this article for background Truck Towing Standard SAE J2807 Update 2013 | RV 101ョ your education source for RV information

So, since the derivation of the various manufacturers' ratings not consistent, there is no way to make any honest comparison. All we really know is that Toyota's ratings would be higher by some amount if they didn't comply with SAE J2807, or that the other non-complying manufacturers' ratings would be lower by some amount if thy did comply. Well, maybe next year?

Good luck with your research.

I am pretty sure Ford also meets them. As for Toyota, they only lost 300# or so when they rectified the Tundra.

Chris

I'm not saying that the guy writing that article is correct but he states "To give you an example of what occurs when you apply these new standards Toyota put its 2011 Tundra through the paces. The results were towing capacities dropping 400lbs, 500lbs and 1,100lbs for various models of the Tundra, over previously published capacities. 1100 lbs is quite a bit.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #13  
Here is a link to a more recent Truck Trend article regarding most manufacturers' non-compliance with the SAE J2807 towing standards:
Stalemate: J2807 Truck Towing Standard - Truck Trend News

According to this article, I was wrong about no other manufacturers complying with the SAE J2807 standards. The article says that Ford's ratings for the 2013 Escape do comply.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #14  
The OP asked for tow rating on a 4x4 crew cab. Not 2WD reg or extended cab. All the Eco Boost Ford F-150 4x4 Crew Cab I've seen are rated to tow 9200lbs.

Edit: Went to Ford's site and did see you can get a 3:73 gear option that puts the Crew Cab at 11,200lbs so you were not far off.

Yep, the 3.73 Eco is what we have in the Supercrew 4x4.

Chris

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #15  
My poor little old F350 dually 4x4 crew is only rated @ 12,500#...
With a Dana 60 up front and a Dana 80 out back I find it somewhat interesting that a half ton rated truck is rated so close to a 1 ton truck abet 10 years removed...
What axles are they putting under half ton's now?

The tow ratings were such a joke for the 3/4 and 1 tons back then. My 08 1/2 ton pulling 10000lbs is working and not anywhere near what my 2001 f-250 is for control and overall feeling, the f-250 does not hardly know it is back there. I pulled 20k+ with my goosenecks and had no issues over the years so the past ratings were less than accurate. Common sence does not apply.
Most of the 1/2" tons now have 3/4 ton axles in the rear, more to handle the power output than anything. CJ

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #16  
A few years ago a combination of 4x4, crewcab, half-ton and big tow capacity was an oxymoron that didn't exist; it just gets too heavy with all that to be a typical half ton.

And if it did exist it was usually a 3/4 ton frame stuck under a truck still labelled a 1500. To some extent the combination still doesn't exist unless you can live with an ultra short bed like a supercrew. A lot of times I think we're dreaming to want all that plus tow a big trailer and still have it be called a half-ton. The crew cab and 4x4 are the killers, they add A LOT of weight to the vehicle to still expect it to be built of half-ton components.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #17  
The problem is that with the half ton trucks the manufacturers seem to place the highest priority on engine performance and the ability to accelerate a load regardless of suspension. With the HD pickups they seem to be more cognizant of suspension and the ability of the truck to control the load. Yet at the same time it seems like they expect an HD pickup to accelerate like a sedan even when it's under load.

In truth, I don't really care about a manufacturer's tow rating especially with their HD pickups. The only thing that I really go by is the GVWR and axle weight ratings. As long as I'm not overloading the weight carrying capacity of the truck that's all I really care about. Especially when you consider that even the smallest V8's in the half ton trucks of today are putting out more horsepower and similar torque, if not more torque than th big blocks that were powering the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks of the late 90's and earlier. As far as I'm concerned as long as I can control the load, I can take my time getting there. I'm not in a rush if I'm towing anything heavier than my snowmobile trailer.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #19  
What kind of fuel milage are you getting?

Mid 18's since new. My father drives it. Its a 2011 4x4 SuperCrew with 3.73 gears.

I have seen 24 @ 65 & about 13 pulling a tandem axle enclosed trailer weighing about 6500#

Chris

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings
Mid 18's since new. My father drives it. Its a 2011 4x4 SuperCrew with 3.73 gears.

I have seen 24 @ 65 & about 13 pulling a tandem axle enclosed trailer weighing about 6500#

Chris
How many miles on it now? any problems? We like the Fords cab=lottsa room.