1/2 ton with best tow ratings

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #1  

Case485Guy

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 485
Who makes a 1/2 ton 4x4 crewcab with the best tow rating? Not brand loyal so....

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #2  
I've got a 2010 chevy silverado with the 6.2 option. Enough power ill ever need, great ride, best truck I've owned.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #4  
According to Trailer Life's 2013 Towing Guide, Ford F-150 crew cab has the highest rating this year.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #5  
It going to hard to beat a new Chevy/GMC with MAX Trailering Pack. The Crew Cab is rated to pull 10,600lbs. This package will get you a 6.2L V8 w 403HP and 417ft lbs of torque. Payload rating is 1908lbs. This package also includes locking rear diff and 3:73 gears. I don't know of any other new 1/2 ton with this power except a Ford SVT Raptor. The Raptor is an animal of its own built more toward off-roading. It comes stock w 35in A/T's, lift, and Fox shocks. It's offered in a crew cab now also.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #6  
My 2013 Chevy 1500 4x4 Ext Cab Reg Bed 5.3 w/ 3.42 is rated for 9600# conventional trailer. Same pkg in crew cab is rated for 9500#.
The max trailer pkg if ordered changes the engine to a 6.2 and jumps the conventional trailer tow rating to 10,400 for the 4x4 or 10,600 for 2WD.

Attachments

• Trailering Guide MY13 eBrochure.pdf
    625.8 KB · Views: 254
   / 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #7  
F150 Eco Boost. 11300# tow rating.

Great truck. We have one.

Chris

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #8  
My poor little old F350 dually 4x4 crew is only rated @ 12,500#...
With a Dana 60 up front and a Dana 80 out back I find it somewhat interesting that a half ton rated truck is rated so close to a 1 ton truck abet 10 years removed...
What axles are they putting under half ton's now?

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #9  
Case485Guy: The answer to your question is - who knows?

Remember the SAE J2807 towing standards that SAE member manufacturers agreed to comply with, beginning with the 2013 model year? Well, they didn't (except for Toyota whose towing ratings complied beginning with the 2011 model year). For example see this article for background Truck Towing Standard SAE J2807 Update 2013 | RV 101® your education source for RV information

So, since the derivation of the various manufacturers' ratings not consistent, there is no way to make any honest comparison. All we really know is that Toyota's ratings would be higher by some amount if they didn't comply with SAE J2807, or that the other non-complying manufacturers' ratings would be lower by some amount if thy did comply. Well, maybe next year?

Good luck with your research.

/ 1/2 ton with best tow ratings #10  
Case485Guy: The answer to your question is - who knows?

Remember the SAE J2807 towing standards that SAE member manufacturers agreed to comply with, beginning with the 2013 model year? Well, they didn't (except for Toyota whose towing ratings complied beginning with the 2011 model year). For example see this article for background Truck Towing Standard SAE J2807 Update 2013 | RV 101® your education source for RV information

So, since the derivation of the various manufacturers' ratings not consistent, there is no way to make any honest comparison. All we really know is that Toyota's ratings would be higher by some amount if they didn't comply with SAE J2807, or that the other non-complying manufacturers' ratings would be lower by some amount if thy did comply. Well, maybe next year?

Good luck with your research.

I am pretty sure Ford also meets them. As for Toyota, they only lost 300# or so when they rectified the Tundra.

Chris