old tar removal

/ old tar removal #1  

daveinnh

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310
My wife bought a used Miley horse trailer; frame is Haulmark. The trailer has extensive tar-spot splatter (maybe from driving thru a road crack sealing project?). I can remove most of each old "bubble" using an old plastic ATM- credit - other card, but residue remains.

The trailer sides appear to be plastic laminate over plywood or OSB?

She's tried bug-removal spray with no success.

Any suggestions on residue removal?

/ old tar removal #2  
Going to sound crazy but I have used Mosquito spray with good results, its also good for stains in clothing, scuff marks on floors etc.......once you quite laughing, give it a try.:thumbsup: Deep woods off seems to work best.

/ old tar removal #3  
if its tar based .. engine oil on a rag should remove it.....

/ old tar removal #4  
Try Goo Gone, my dog tracked in some roofing tar and it worked great for removing it off the house floors. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc carry it.

/ old tar removal #5  
Soak a towel in kerosene and wipe it down a few times...Let it sit and wipe and wash...Done it many times.

/ old tar removal #6  
I agree.....kerosene will work......so will gasoline.....just don't smoke while cleaning the trailer. Good luck!.

/ old tar removal #7  
Try WD40 and a rag.

Chris

/ old tar removal #8  
Ditto the WD40.

/ old tar removal #9  
Mosquito repellant will take off paint and dissolve most plastics also, so be careful using that. Diesel on a rag will get it off and wont harm plastic or paint finish. Any petroleum product will work to remove tar, just depends on how flammable you want to be, diesel is about the safest for flammability but it will soak into wood and likely carry the tar stain into the wood also as it dissolves it, but it is safe on plastic and can be washed off with some household detergent afterward to remove the oily residue.

/ old tar removal #10  
Orange oil, smells good too.