Paint the trailer

/ Paint the trailer #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
Ive got my $500 livestock trailer to paint.

I was innitally thinking of rolling on some rustoleum. Then i thought i might have Maco spray it after i prep it. But the I thought why not practice spraying rustoleum. I have plenty of other projects that could do with rustoleum paint jobs so....

Internets say reduce it with automotive enamal reducer. 8-4-1 8 paint 4 reducer 1 hardner.

At that point do you spray it with a regular 1.4mm HVLP gun? or should i go for a 2.2 "primer" gun and shoot something like 3-1.

looking for feedback from people who have actually done this and what they used specifically.

/ Paint the trailer #2  
I sprayed Rustoleum paint on a new one piece floor pan I installed in a Chevelle convertible last year. I used a cheapy Harbor Freight HVLP gun, compressor air pressure set about 40#, (drops to about 30-35 pulling the trigger), 1.4mm, I thinned the paint roughly 2 to 1, (2 parts paint to 1 part mineral spirits). I did not use hardener just a day with a box fan blowing on it to dry. Rustoleum red for the top, when dry I put the car on the lift and sprayed rustoleum black underneath. It should work the same on your trailer. I've sprayed rustoleum on many projects, just happened to have a pic of this one. I did my car trailer in black using this mixture also but brushed it on rather than spraying.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
   / Paint the trailer #3  
I have spayed trailers with it just thinning using paint thinner/mineral spirits.

Set the gun to the specs for the compressor and go.

You ain't painting a piano here......

Chris

/ Paint the trailer #4  
i'd get a harbor freight 20$ gun.. some tsc paint.. some naptha or mineral spirits ( based on paint recs ).. and then some quick cure hardner nason , if you aren't sensitive to it. and let her rip.

/ Paint the trailer
word has it acetone works better than just reg mineral spirits without going to automotive enamal reducers.

Dont suppose anyone has used a #4 ford viscosity cup?

zahn #2 Ford #4 Viscosity Charts

Ive done this before, but just kinda guessed at things, usually small to medium parts. For me the difficulty was in trying to reliably thin my paint. Some times it would go well... other times just awufull. So i guess they use the ford cup to remedy this especially when working with something generic like Rustoleum. Most of this was as a "kid" before i understood there was a relation ship between the type of gun (nozzle size), pressure, viscosity.

Im going to try 30-40 sec in a #4 ford through a 1.8mm "primer" gun.

ill update with some pics etc when i get to that point.

/ Paint the trailer #6  
I sprayed a car trailer with rustoleum. It turned out good and still looks good after a couple of years. I think I used a suction gun on it. I can't remember how much I thinned it.

/ Paint the trailer #7  
Schmism got it with suggesting using acetone to thin the Rustoleum for spraying. I am getting ready to spray my trailer gate/ramp, and sure enough, right on the can of Rustoleum it says to use acetone. I guess it flashes off so fast that it helps with spraying. Never used hardner.

/ Paint the trailer #8  
i've seen some that use hexane for a reducer.

i was a lil hesitant at first.. but let me say.. that nason synthetic enamil was touch safe in 15m using hexane thinner and quick cure hardner!

/ Paint the trailer #9  
Schmism got it with suggesting using acetone to thin the Rustoleum for spraying. I am getting ready to spray my trailer gate/ramp, and sure enough, right on the can of Rustoleum it says to use acetone. I guess it flashes off so fast that it helps with spraying. Never used hardner.

I just finished this trailer build, and used Rustoleum w/acetone. I wouldn't paint my car with it, but I like it for trailers. Touch up with a rattle can. What could be better?

New 14 ft Trailer 002.jpg

Bill

/ Paint the trailer #10  
Here is my rustoleum paint job. It has been on there over a year and a half. I still need to get the lights and winch on it and buy a tool box.

I guess I thinned it with acetone if that is what the can says to use. I did use the rusty metal primer.

20130506_175240_zps8b8cfb2f.jpg